Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Occasional flashing of Abnormal shapes on notification bar

Hi, my s3 occasionally flashes very abnormal looking shapes or symbols that would then disappear for a long time until the next time it appears. Sometimes it's on the right side, sometimes it's on the left side of the notification bar.

When I pull down the status bar to see whether it was part of notifications, it doesn't appear to be a notification for the phone. I was wondering whether this was normal or if anyone experienced this as well? I have very little knowledge in this so any feedback would be greatly appreciated Thank you

Default Re: Occasional flashing of Abnormal shapes on notification bar

Welcome to Android Central! It's hard to help unless we know more about what the icons look like--but I understand it can be difficult to give details if they're fleeting. Does it look like two arrows in a circle? Or two straight arrows, each pointing in opposite directions? That's usually a sign that the device is syncing something.

And if it's a triangle on the left side it could be a fleeting network error.
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

They are not diamonds or icons looking, one time they looked like the words PNY stretched out on the upper left corner, and today I had something similar to the network bars stretched out appear on the top right corner. When these shapes occur, they would override the original icon that should exist.

For example today the shape flashing overrode the time clock display on the upper right notification bar. Just a thought, is there a way to post a picture here? I was finally able to screenshot it today.

Thank you again and it's greatly appreciated

6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thank you! The screenshot shows the upper right corner with the shapes, hoping this will help! Thank you again, it's greatly appreciated

Posted via the Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Occasional flashing of Abnormal shapes on notification bar-screenshot_2014-08-04-19-43-35.jpg  

Hmm, that looks pretty screwy. You're unrooted, correct? Not running any custom ROM?

Try booting into Recovery Mode and wiping the cache partition. This won't erase any personal data: [Guide] Rebooting into Recovery Mode for the Galaxy S2, S3, and Tab2.
    Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Yes that's correct I'm unrooted and I will try this method, thank you

Posted via the Android Central App