Device Storage problem and Message Customisation

funkiichiicka

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
1st question:

I noticed the past few times I tried to update my apps via the Play Store, it said I didn't have enough memory for some of them.
So I uninstalled some of the apps that I don't really care about. Still had the problem yesterday when trying to update another app and uninstalled a few more.
I checked the Storage in Settings and it showed that Apps were taking up ALOT of space. So I uninstalled everything that I don't use at all, and disabled most of the apps that came on the phone, so I now have 3 pages of apps. The Storage didn't seem to change.
I checked my friend's phone Storage as she has the S2 and has way more apps and widgets than me and they only take up a tiny amount of storage.
Is there something I am missing here?
I have attached a screenshot of my current Device Memory Storage.

2nd question:

I usually have my phone set to hear only calls, and every other alert is silent. Just personal preference. But is there a way to set it so that I hear a text message from a specific person?

Thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-10-19-20-49-04[1].png
    Screenshot_2013-10-19-20-49-04[1].png
    54.4 KB · Views: 15

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
As long as it's the cache partition that you're wiping, you won't lose anything. It's all temporary data.

Posted via Android Central App

funkiichiicka

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
This didn't make any difference :(
Actually, I decided to see which app takes up the most space and it is Google Play Music. Is there anyway to work around this eg moving to SD card?

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If it's Google Play Music, you probably have a lot of music downloaded and cached. If you don't need your music tracks stored locally, open Play Music, go to its settings, and select Clear Cache.

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
With Google Music, you can temporarily store music from the cloud (i.e., your own music you uploaded to Google Music, or songs you may have listened to on All Access Music) by tapping the Pin icon for that song or album. Pinning it means the music gets downloaded and stored locally on your phone (in an obscure directory under a coded file name).

There's a setting in Google Music that makes everything you listen to automatically get stored in the cache, so it can get big pretty quickly. So if you go into the Google Music settings, you can clear the app's cache, and you can also uncheck the option to automatically cache any music you listen to.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Gary,
In Settings -> Storage, what does it show for 'Available space'?
(Am I correct in assuming that these devices only have 8GB total memory? Youch!)

Are you also using Google Play Music? If you look in Settings -> Application manager -> DOWNLOADED -> Google Play Music, what does it show for the Total? If it's huge, you can 'Clear data' and that'll nuke any cached information (not sure what it does to any playlists you have - sorry).

Approximately how many apps do you have installed?

Edit: BTW, it's usually a good idea to do a Factory Reset after an OTA, but that's your call. Be sure to backup any information you consider important first, since a Factory Reset returns the phone to the out-of-box condition (except for whatever is stored on your SD card, if you have one). If you want suggestions on how to make a good backup let me know.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Gary Mason1

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Yes I've done all these things apart from the factory reset (will I lose my apps?) however I have an S3 mini and it only holds 4.55GB internal memory. I've moved all my media to my SD card so the only thing taking up memory are operating system and apps. I don't even have that many apps and I've deleted the ones I really don't need. It annoys me that I can't uninstall apps that have come preloaded, any way of doing that?

Thanks
Gary.

I've had to uninstall vine as it was over 2.6GB which is a shame.

Last edited:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
It annoys me that I can't uninstall apps that have come preloaded, any way of doing that?
The only way to do that is to root the phone.

I did the math once on the S3 (Verizon) and everything that I considered bloatware only added up to 750MB, which didn't even make it worth the bother.

You can actually go in and disable much of the bloatware so that it isn't using up RAM.

You didn't mention what the 'Available space' is in Settings -> Storage
y7usypa6.jpg

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Gary Mason1

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
The available space is now 2.79GB now that I've deleted Vine.

Screenshot_2013-11-03-08-53-55.png

And yes I have actually disabled a lot of this bloatware. Guess I'll just need to go for bigger internal memory next time.

Thanks guys.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I've had to uninstall vine as it was over 2.6GB which is a shame.
Just a note that the Vine app is only 16MB; the remainder of that space is used by the app cache, which you can just manually clear whenever it gets out-of-hand. It's annoying, but better than having to uninstall the app.

albdoctor

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
i just got a s3 mini and i was watching internal storage (it has no sd card) & it says available space 121 MB :( and i have not downloaded anything there (i got it today) what is wrong with it? is it an original one? (even its screen doesnt rotate)

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Are you saying that in Settings -> Storage it shows 'Available space' as 121MB? That's messed up.