Can anyone help - green robot disaster!

alibroon3

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Embarrassed and totally harassed - I'm not techie, and had my phone for a year. When other app updates were appearing for apps like facebook, instagram, you tube etc, I've allowed to come down, but another one has been appearing recently on my phone, and became annoying. It gave me the option to install a software download,(i thought update..) and delay to 1hr, 3hr etc. I kept delaying and would have happily chosen the option for it to disappear completely, but that wasn't offered. An icon of download (like it was on pause) was up on the top left of the screen so I thought it look official, but until tonight didn't go for it until it flashed up again. So I decided to get it over with and a dialogue box came up stating it would affect the phone meanwhile ...no use of internet, emergency calls etc. Then a green robot appears with a percentage download underneath, I panicked and removed the battery as hadn't seen it before.

So since then it will go on, off, recharge, but remains on the Samsung flashing logo, and that is it. Needless to say totally despairing of myself that I did it and should have either read the dialogue box or not done it until I know more. But didn't see the green robot until it had started, and all the initial steps looked identical to everything else on the phone, and not so different to cause major suspicion.
Status presently, found how to go into recovery mode online, did it, and there's the green robot still downloading, up to over 50percent now and pulled the battery out.(panic):'( Contacted this forum and a techie friend too - what to do - let it run to the end. Or get it into a shop, pronto?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Embarrassed and totally harassed - I'm not techie, and had my phone for a year. When other app updates were appearing for apps like facebook, instagram, you tube etc, I've allowed to come down, but another one has been appearing recently on my phone, and became annoying. It gave me the option to install a software download,(i thought update..) and delay to 1hr, 3hr etc. I kept delaying and would have happily chosen the option for it to disappear completely, but that wasn't offered. An icon of download (like it was on pause) was up on the top left of the screen so I thought it look official, but until tonight didn't go for it until it flashed up again. So I decided to get it over with and a dialogue box came up stating it would affect the phone meanwhile ...no use of internet, emergency calls etc. Then a green robot appears with a percentage download underneath, I panicked and removed the battery as hadn't seen it before.

So since then it will go on, off, recharge, but remains on the Samsung flashing logo, and that is it. Needless to say totally despairing of myself that I did it and should have either read the dialogue box or not done it until I know more. But didn't see the green robot until it had started, and all the initial steps looked identical to everything else on the phone, and not so different to cause major suspicion.
Status presently, found how to go into recovery mode online, did it, and there's the green robot still downloading, up to over 50percent now and pulled the battery out.(panic):'( Contacted this forum and a techie friend too - what to do - let it run to the end. Or get it into a shop, pronto?
So it won't boot up normally but you can get it into recovery and download mode? Correct?

alibroon3

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
It only gets to the glowing Samsung title, and then won't go further. When I got it into recovery mode it went straight to the green droid, and red lettering with the download percentage, so I quickly took the battery out. Just put it into recovery again, and the droid remains, but started the download from 0 upwards, much faster. So again whipped the battery out. I've got it on at the moment, and again glowing samsung logo, and no more.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
It only gets to the glowing Samsung title, and then won't go further. When I got it into recovery mode it went straight to the green droid, and red lettering with the download percentage, so I quickly took the battery out. Just put it into recovery again, and the droid remains, but started the download from 0 upwards, much faster. So again whipped the battery out. I've got it on at the moment, and again glowing samsung logo, and no more.

Can you get into download mode? Hold power volume down and home until you see the green android. Then hit volume up to continue

Posted via Android Central App

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
LOL you liked it but didn't answer. If you can, get into download mode. Download Odin 3.07 on your PC and connect your phone. If the first bar shows up as yellow and says something like COM: and then a number. Flash the stock firmware. You can get that here :)

And here's a video on how to flash stock firmware if you didn't know how
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypmqJbZqOaU

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
the droid remains, but started the download from 0 upwards, much faster. So again whipped the battery out.
It sounds to me like you accepted an OS update (what we refer to as an OTA), and every time the phone starts to update itself you pull the battery, which is a bad thing, and is likely to lead to an unusable device. But what do I know.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums.
I agree with GSDer. Pulling the battery in mid update is like pulling the plug on your desktop PC in the middle of a BIOS update or updating from Windows 8 to 8.1.
This action can lead to a fully bricked device.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the forums.
I agree with GSDer. Pulling the battery in mid update is like pulling the plug on your desktop PC in the middle of a BIOS update or updating from Windows 8 to 8.1.
This action can lead to a fully bricked device.

Quite a few people have had a similar issue recently. Except they turned it off during recovery and they couldn't boot into download or recovery. OP says he can, so it might not be the same.
Anyway, wouldn't it still be recoverable by someone offering JTAG services?

nelschroeder

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I agree with everyone else, you never want to disrupt an OTA update to your OS. Hopefully the suggestions from UJ95x will help with a restore. Good luck.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Quite a few people have had a similar issue recently. Except they turned it off during recovery and they couldn't boot into download or recovery. OP says he can, so it might not be the same.
Anyway, wouldn't it still be recoverable by someone offering JTAG services?

Possible, yes. From what I have heard JTAG services can't recover every bricked device.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49