No Alarm when Sound is Off

Tealfreak

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I recently switched from my old Samsung Stratosphere to a Galaxy S3 Mini. I'm a light sleeper and always turn my sound off to go to bed. On my old phone, the alarm would still sound loudly even if the phone sound/ringer was off. Now that I have the S3 mini, I've noticed that when I turn the sound off on my phone, the alarm is also muted. I always make sure the alarm sound is turned up as loud as it will go, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. What's the point of a silent alarm?! I've tried leaving the phone volume up so the alarm will sound in the morning, but it wakes me up all through the night if I get a text, etc. (ANNOYING!)

Any tips on how to turn the sound off on everything EXCEPT the alarm?

EviI

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I recently switched from my old Samsung Stratosphere to a Galaxy S3 Mini. I'm a light sleeper and always turn my sound off to go to bed. On my old phone, the alarm would still sound loudly even if the phone sound/ringer was off. Now that I have the S3 mini, I've noticed that when I turn the sound off on my phone, the alarm is also muted. I always make sure the alarm sound is turned up as loud as it will go, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. What's the point of a silent alarm?! I've tried leaving the phone volume up so the alarm will sound in the morning, but it wakes me up all through the night if I get a text, etc. (ANNOYING!)

Have you tried going to Settings > Sound > Volumes and then turning everything down except the alarm volume?
Screenshot:
yes.jpg

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Welcome to the forums.
That is strange. Does the S3 Mini have a Do Not Disturb option in Settings?

Tealfreak

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
YouTube, that was the first thing I looked for. I have other settings shown on your screenshot, but there is no alarm option there. Just the first 2 shown and one for "system." When I turn down the volume/ringer off on my phone, I notice that it automatically turns the entire "system" volume to silent. Surely there has to be some way to get around this.

EviI

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
YouTube, that was the first thing I looked for. I have other settings shown on your screenshot, but there is no alarm option there. Just the first 2 shown and one for "system." When I turn down the volume/ringer off on my phone, I notice that it automatically turns the entire "system" volume to silent. Surely there has to be some way to get around this.
That is very strange. You might have to use an alarm from the Play Store such as this one.
If that one doesn't work, try a different one from the Play Store.

Tealfreak

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
That is very strange. You might have to use an alarm from the Play Store such as this one.
If that one doesn't work, try a different one from the Play Store.

Thanks. I might have to try a different alarm. My other thought was to maybe try putting the phone in "Airplane Mode" at night...but I didn't really want to do that. Thoughts?

EviI

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I might have to try a different alarm. My other thought was to maybe try putting the phone in "Airplane Mode" at night...but I didn't really want to do that. Thoughts?

That's a good idea!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

bveyndhoven

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
The default alarm so on the S3 Mini isn't capable of breaking through silent mouse. The are some great alarm apps in the Play Store that are capable. I like AlarmDroid but it still is only one of many.

Posted via Android Central App using Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini