Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tealfreak
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default No Alarm when Sound is Off

I recently switched from my old Samsung Stratosphere to a Galaxy S3 Mini. I'm a light sleeper and always turn my sound off to go to bed. On my old phone, the alarm would still sound loudly even if the phone sound/ringer was off. Now that I have the S3 mini, I've noticed that when I turn the sound off on my phone, the alarm is also muted. I always make sure the alarm sound is turned up as loud as it will go, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. What's the point of a silent alarm?! I've tried leaving the phone volume up so the alarm will sound in the morning, but it wakes me up all through the night if I get a text, etc. (ANNOYING!)

Any tips on how to turn the sound off on everything EXCEPT the alarm?

Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4.2 KitKat

Default Re: No Alarm when Sound is Off

Quote Originally Posted by Tealfreak View Post
    I recently switched from my old Samsung Stratosphere to a Galaxy S3 Mini. I'm a light sleeper and always turn my sound off to go to bed. On my old phone, the alarm would still sound loudly even if the phone sound/ringer was off. Now that I have the S3 mini, I've noticed that when I turn the sound off on my phone, the alarm is also muted. I always make sure the alarm sound is turned up as loud as it will go, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. What's the point of a silent alarm?! I've tried leaving the phone volume up so the alarm will sound in the morning, but it wakes me up all through the night if I get a text, etc. (ANNOYING!)

Have you tried going to Settings > Sound > Volumes and then turning everything down except the alarm volume?
    Screenshot:
    No Alarm when Sound is Off-yes.jpg

Global Posts
    13,867 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Welcome to the forums.
    That is strange. Does the S3 Mini have a Do Not Disturb option in Settings?

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

YouTube, that was the first thing I looked for. I have other settings shown on your screenshot, but there is no alarm option there. Just the first 2 shown and one for "system." When I turn down the volume/ringer off on my phone, I notice that it automatically turns the entire "system" volume to silent. Surely there has to be some way to get around this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Welcome to the forums.
    That is strange. Does the S3 Mini have a Do Not Disturb option in Settings?
    No. Didn't see a Do Not Disturb option. :-(

Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4.2 KitKat

YouTube, that was the first thing I looked for. I have other settings shown on your screenshot, but there is no alarm option there. Just the first 2 shown and one for "system." When I turn down the volume/ringer off on my phone, I notice that it automatically turns the entire "system" volume to silent. Surely there has to be some way to get around this.
    That is very strange. You might have to use an alarm from the Play Store such as .
    If that one doesn't work, try a different one from the Play Store.
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by YouTube View Post
    That is very strange. You might have to use an alarm from the Play Store such as .
    If that one doesn't work, try a different one from the Play Store.
    Thanks. I might have to try a different alarm. My other thought was to maybe try putting the phone in "Airplane Mode" at night...but I didn't really want to do that. Thoughts?
    EviI likes this.

Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4.2 KitKat

Thanks. I might have to try a different alarm. My other thought was to maybe try putting the phone in "Airplane Mode" at night...but I didn't really want to do that. Thoughts?
    That's a good idea!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:

Tealfreak,
    What about using something like Sound Profile: - you can manage what audio is allowed and what isn't, at which times, without having to manually fiddle with volume controls.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

The default alarm so on the S3 Mini isn't capable of breaking through silent mouse. The are some great alarm apps in the Play Store that are capable. I like AlarmDroid but it still is only one of many.

Posted via Android Central App using Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini