Newbee & 'old phart' with 'toy' needs guidance ... please...

doonboggle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
HISTORY: Hand-me-down from daughter. Am 73 and never used one of these things. Have spent last 2 days trying to grasp, but only absorbing about 30% of my fiddling around. Need guidance from patient responder(s).
[PS: I know there is a manuel, but at this time, I JUST ran out of ink for printer; and will be 1 week before order arrives.]
1. I read that an option of not backing up to unit itself, but to desk top; HOW??

2. I read various regarding interesting point that say "Download this here" ... etc ... but how ... and then WHAT???
For example, I read something about 'rooting'; and poster had a reference to d/l... but no guidance for newbee folks like me.

3. How can I stop it from shutting down after a few short seconds; want it to stay on so that I can learn.

4. Once in internally to site, how can ... if possible ... get back to opening screen, rather than having to click on the lower left crooked arrow point??

5. Why is Google all over the mini system? I have an Yahoo email ... listed it in set up ... but only Google 'stuff' comes up. Can't I use Yahoo instead; and if so, what further do I need to do...would like to trashcan Google totally....

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
HISTORY: Hand-me-down from daughter. Am 73 and never used one of these things. Have spent last 2 days trying to grasp, but only absorbing about 30% of my fiddling around. Need guidance from patient responder(s).
[PS: I know there is a manuel, but at this time, I JUST ran out of ink for printer; and will be 1 week before order arrives.]
1. I read that an option of not backing up to unit itself, but to desk top; HOW??

2. I read various regarding interesting point that say "Download this here" ... etc ... but how ... and then WHAT???
For example, I read something about 'rooting'; and poster had a reference to d/l... but no guidance for newbee folks like me.

3. How can I stop it from shutting down after a few short seconds; want it to stay on so that I can learn.

4. Once in internally to site, how can ... if possible ... get back to opening screen, rather than having to click on the lower left crooked arrow point??

5. Why is Google all over the mini system? I have an Yahoo email ... listed it in set up ... but only Google 'stuff' comes up. Can't I use Yahoo instead; and if so, what further do I need to do...would like to trashcan Google totally....

I'll see if I can help.

Oh boy, there is so much you can learn.

1. What would you like to backup in the first place?

2. For your case, ignore everything about rooting as it is not necessary. I'm not sure what it is people are saying to download from your description.

3. I'm guessing you mean the timer to make the screen "go to sleep." You have to go into the settings and set it to a longer period of time. It should be under something like "display" or similar to that.

4. Do you mean going back to the home screen? Isn't there a home button in the middle?

5. It is because Android is made by Google. You can download the Yahoo Mail App from the app store or "play store."

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central!

Can you be a little more specific? What are you looking to back up? Contacts? User data? Keep in mind that Android is a Google product, and is therefore integrated closely with Google's services like Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Drive, etc. So if you use a lot of these services, the data that is associated with them is constantly synchronized with those Google "cloud" services. It minimizes the need for a true "backup."

There is a System Setting which allows you to back up your phone's settings as well as the data from some (but not necessarily all) apps to your Google account, so that if you need to reset your phone, you can easily restore that information. Go to Settings>Privacy, and check "Back Up My Data" and "Automatic Restore." On some devices, the menu might be Settings>Backup & Restore.

Are you referring to downloading and installing applications? It's best to install applications directly from well-established app stores like the Google Play Store or the Amazon Appstore. Downloading app files from file-sharing sites can be quite risky, since those files might contain malware (viruses), and besides, they might also be illegally pirated.

If you're wondering how to access links that people post on this website, then simply click on that link. If you download a PDF file on your phone, then swipe down the notification shade, tap on the downloaded file notification, and it should open up using your phone's PDF reader.

By the way, "rooting" is essentially getting "superuser" status on your device. It gives you more complete control over the system, but if you don't know exactly what you're doing, you could potentially render your device useless. For novices, I strongly recommend against rooting until you've gotten more experience.

Go to Settings>Display>Sleep, and choose a longer interval to wait before putting the screen to sleep.

Press the Home button to get back to the homescreen.

As mentioned above, Android is a Google product, and is tightly integrated with Google services, so it makes sense why Google is all over the system. It's certainly possible to use an Android device without relying on Google services, since there are plenty of 3rd party apps you can install from Google Play Store or elsewhere to achieve what you want to do. You can always use Yahoo Mail, either by installing the Yahoo Mail app, by having your Yahoo Mail account imported into your Gmail, or by using the stock Email app and setting it up to import your Yahoo Mail.

You can't completely uninstall preinstalled apps (like most of the Google apps) from a phone if it isn't rooted, but you can Disable a lot of them. Go to your App Manager, select an app, and tap the Disable button. If you don't see Disable, you might have to Uninstall All Updates first before the Disable button appears. If you still don't see a Disable button, then that particular app probably can't be disabled.

For more general information, check out this guide: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...uide-getting-started-android-2014-part-i.html. Have fun, and feel free to ask more questions!

doonboggle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
I will use capitalized letters to respond; not to shout, but to be visible within your points.

Welcome to Android Central!
Can you be a little more specific? What are you looking to back up? Contacts? User data? Keep in mind that Android is a Google product, and is therefore integrated closely with Google's services like Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Drive, etc. So if you use a lot of these services, the data that is associated with them is constantly synchronized with those Google "cloud" services. It minimizes the need for a true "backup."

There is a System Setting which allows you to back up your phone's settings as well as the data from some (but not necessarily all) apps to your Google account, so that if you need to reset your phone, you can easily restore that information. Go to Settings>Privacy, and check "Back Up My Data" and "Automatic Restore." On some devices, the menu might be Settings>Backup & Restore.
IF I WAS WRONG, FORGIVE PLEASE. WORDING I READ IN THE MANUEL PDF FILE 'SEEMED' TO IMPLY OF THE POSSIBILITY THAT A NORMAL BACKUP COULD BE SENT OVER TO ANOTHER STORAGE UNIT ... LIKE MY PC. THAT WAY, THE BACKUP WOULD BE AVAILABLE IF THE WHOLE GALAXY UNIT LOST IT'S PROGRAM.

REGARDING THE ADVICE OF ACTIVATING THE BACKUP TO GOOGLE ... IT IS CLICKED ON, BUT ALL I HAVE WITH GOOGLE IS A SECONDARY EMAIL ADDRESS I USE NOW AND THEN. BY THIS SUGGESTION, AM I TO PRESUME THAT WHAT I ASKED ABOUT IS ALREADY IN-PLAY, AND THAT I SHOULD PRESUME I HAVE A GOOGLE SITE??

DON'T MEAN TO SOUND STUPID, BUT JUST HAVE NEVER HAD TO BE INVOLVED IN THIS ISSUE.

Are you referring to downloading and installing applications? It's best to install applications directly from well-established app stores like the Google Play Store or the Amazon Appstore. Downloading app files from file-sharing sites can be quite risky, since those files might contain malware (viruses), and besides, they might also be illegally pirated.
YES; PRESUMED TO BE THE NORMAL DOWNLOAD PROCESS AS INVOLVED WITH D/L PROCESS OF PC UNIT. AND AS FAR AS NOT OPENLY DOWNLOADING 'STUFF', LEARNED THAT MANY YEARS AGO WHEN COMPUTERS WERE STILL NEW.
REGARDING DOWNLOADING ONLY GOOGLE APP FILES, NOT EDUCATED ENOUGH TO PROCEED WITH THAT YET; NO IDEA WHAT IS BEST YET.

If you're wondering how to access links that people post on this website, then simply click on that link. If you download a PDF file on your phone, then swipe down the notification shade, tap on the downloaded file notification, and it should open up using your phone's PDF reader.

By the way, "rooting" is essentially getting "superuser" status on your device. It gives you more complete control over the system, but if you don't know exactly what you're doing, you could potentially render your device useless. For novices, I strongly recommend against rooting until you've gotten more experience.
MAIN FOCUS REGARDING THIS WAS THE 'ROOT' REFERENCE; SO AM TAKING YOUR, AND OTHERS, SUGGESTION; NO ON 'ROOT'.

Go to Settings>Display>Sleep, and choose a longer interval to wait before putting the screen to sleep.
FOUND.....AND ACTIVATED.....THANKS !!

Press the Home button to get back to the homescreen.
AGAIN STUPID ON MY PART; THOUGHT THAT WAS ONLY AN OPENING HOLE FOR VOICE MESSAGE RESPONSE, ETC.... SORRY.

As mentioned above, Android is a Google product, and is tightly integrated with Google services, so it makes sense why Google is all over the system. It's certainly possible to use an Android device without relying on Google services, since there are plenty of 3rd party apps you can install from Google Play Store or elsewhere to achieve what you want to do. You can always use Yahoo Mail, either by installing the Yahoo Mail app, by having your Yahoo Mail account imported into your Gmail, or by using the stock Email app and setting it up to import your Yahoo Mail.
I "THINK" I MAY HAVE THIS ALREADY....AS EVIDENCED BY AN INCOMING REPLY TO MY GOOGLE EMAIL ALSO SHOWING UP TO MY YAHOO EMAIL BOX. SO JUST WILL HAVE TO WAIT TO BE SURE.

You can't completely uninstall preinstalled apps (like most of the Google apps) from a phone if it isn't rooted, but you can Disable a lot of them. Go to your App Manager, select an app, and tap the Disable button. If you don't see Disable, you might have to Uninstall All Updates first before the Disable button appears. If you still don't see a Disable button, then that particular app probably can't be disabled.

For more general information, check out this guide: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...uide-getting-started-android-2014-part-i.html. Have fun, and feel free to ask more questions!

THANKS !!! NO DOUBT WILL POST FURTHER CONFUSION POINTS LATER...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
WORDING I READ IN THE MANUEL PDF FILE 'SEEMED' TO IMPLY OF THE POSSIBILITY THAT A NORMAL BACKUP COULD BE SENT OVER TO ANOTHER STORAGE UNIT ... LIKE MY PC. THAT WAY, THE BACKUP WOULD BE AVAILABLE IF THE WHOLE GALAXY UNIT LOST IT'S PROGRAM.

There are a number of 3rd party backup programs available for Android, some of which come preinstalled on certain phones. I'm not familiar with Samsung products, but I would guess that what you were reading about was Samsung's own backup program (which I assume is through Samsung's "Kies" program). Here's a support page about backups: What can I backup and recover from my device using Kies? : Cell Phones | Samsung

REGARDING THE ADVICE OF ACTIVATING THE BACKUP TO GOOGLE ... IT IS CLICKED ON, BUT ALL I HAVE WITH GOOGLE IS A SECONDARY EMAIL ADDRESS I USE NOW AND THEN. BY THIS SUGGESTION, AM I TO PRESUME THAT WHAT I ASKED ABOUT IS ALREADY IN-PLAY, AND THAT I SHOULD PRESUME I HAVE A GOOGLE SITE??
You don't need to have a Gmail account to have a Google account--you can use any email address to establish a Google account. If there is an address under "Backup Account" in that menu, and you have "Back Up My Data" checked, then your Google data and settings are being backed up to your Google account.

YES; PRESUMED TO BE THE NORMAL DOWNLOAD PROCESS AS INVOLVED WITH D/L PROCESS OF PC UNIT.
As a new Android user, it'd be helpful for you to clear your mind of PCs and Windows, and approach Android with a different mindset. Things don't work on an Android device the same way as on a PC. Installing apps is typically an automated process, best done through the Google Play Store or the Amazon Appstore. At this time, you should probably avoid downloading application installer files on their own and trying to manually install apps, because of the risks I mentioned earlier. The only exception is installing the Amazon Appstore, which does require you to download the installer file--let us know if you need help with that.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I will use capitalized letters to respond; not to shout, but to be visible within your points.

THANKS !!! NO DOUBT WILL POST FURTHER CONFUSION POINTS LATER...

I agree with the replies about rooting. Not entirely necessary.
No question is too dumb, but if for whatever reason you don't want to post one, and I don't know about the others, but you may PM me. I never used a S3 mini, but many things are fairly similar. I will do my best to answer.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois