Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini unexplicable Battery drain
03-19-2016 06:11 PM
I really appreciate your help. Since the last week mi S3 mini started to suffer from an unexplicable battery drain, to the point of not be able to restart again. I plugged to AC charger for a couple of minutes and the battery show a charge level similar to the moment before the event.
I found in several forums that this is a recurrent problem in this model, with some solutions focus on coexisting with the problem instead of solving it.
I did a factory reset and reinstalled all of my apps. When I open the Facebook or twitter app and used them for about 10 minutes, the phone shuts down. If I try to take a couple of pictures, the phone shuts down. Trying to do some web browsing with Google Chrome, the phone shuts down. But I plug the AC charger, a couple of minutes and everything is back to normal.
Last night I left my phone unplugged with a 56% of charge and 7 hours later, it was just 53% of charge. It seems like the problem is not in the battery.
It seems like the suspect is some kind of kernel update that keep crashing my phone, but I can't find how to rollback it.
Here some screenshots of one the events.
Really, really appreciate your help.01-09-2014 04:13 PM
- Welcome to Android Central! Do you know if there are any official OS updates for your model? If so, perhaps the update addresses this problem (although lately with Samsung, their updates sometimes cause more problems than they solve).
You could try rebooting into Safe Mode, which disables 3rd party apps. If the problem persists, then it's a system or hardware issue. If the problem stops, then it's a software issue related to something you installed. It can be a little difficult to do much in Safe Mode, however, since all of your 3rd party apps are disabled--but you can still use the phone and the browser. Here are instructions for the S3--I assume the steps are the same for the Mini:
Samsung Galaxy S III - Enable and Disable Safe Mod... - Mobile Product Support Forums01-09-2014 07:10 PM
- Thank you for the advice, unfortunately none of them worked.
I installed Kies and performed a firmware update; I had the latest version but I did it anyway in case something was missing. Same results.
I restarted the phone in safe mode; by the way, it's the same procedure. Obviously none of the third party apps were available, just Google Chrome. I browsed a couple of web pages and then crashed again. I left the phone unplugged all the night and nothing happened. WiFi was active and several process were running during the night.
I have no choice but to buy a new battery and check if theres something wrong with it. It seems that the crash occur when multiple process are running and the increase consumption of power causes this problem.
I let you know the progress of this situation.
thanks again for your support.01-10-2014 04:10 PM
- Take the battery out, lay it flat on a table, and try to spin it. If it spins freely, the battery is probably bad, because that means it's bulging in the middle (which it shouldn't).01-10-2014 05:20 PMLike 3
- hahahaha... We should have started from that simple test! the battery was spining like the top in the Inception movie... almost endlessly!!
I bought the new battery and everything seems fixed now. It's been 4 hours since the replacement and no crashes yet. I've tried all the apps that previously caused problems: Facebook, Twitter, Camera, Spotify... all... at the same time... no signals of failure.
Bottom line, as a final word... Suddenly battery drain in Samsung S3 mini means a faulty battery. Replace it as soon as possible to prevent further damage to the device or event worst, an accident with injuries.
I really apreciate your advice, totally helpful!01-11-2014 04:09 PMLike 2
- Sorry to jump into this tread. ..didnt want to start new one ...as i have similar problem.
My Samsung S3 Mini android 4.2.1 started to drain battery couple of weeks ago ....i have bought yesterday a new higher capacity battery...but ut still drains battery from 100% to 20% in less than 6 hours of ...dking nithing exept coupke of phone calls and few texts???...
I have installed DS Battery Saver ..with heave agressive profile and a Wake up Lock Detector...but bsttey still drains.....
Wonder what process in the background eats up power that fast?
any tips n twicks?
Thanks in advance for your help
Sent from my GT-I8190 using AC Forums mobile app01-12-2014 04:04 PM
- Welcome to Android Central! Check out this guide and see if any of the tips help: http://forums.androidcentral.com/amb...ving-tips.html01-13-2014 10:51 AM
- I have same problem and changing battery did not help...
So I have this problem for a while.at the beggining my phone occasionally turned off by itself.and when I turned it off battery was in critical mode.
After I thought because was problem with battery beeing addicted ordered new battery from eBay.
the phone worked whilst on charge.then it started to die whilst on charge.
Now the phone doesn't even work whilst on charge it just dies after 15secs of beeing on and sometimes just gets on a loop trying to turn on.
I tried with new battery and it's same thing. I tried resetting the phone but he dies obviously.so I tried on safe mode the reset (volume key,power key and home key)and he just resets and when it gets on, all apps are there so that means he's not resetting nothing at all.
Now I get messages like "phone tracker suddenly stopped" or "unfortunately,com.google.android.gm has stopped"
I tried to remove power safe off.
Did reset on settings all previous app definitions.
I couldn't find anything that helps on google.and I've noticed that the original battery is like bulgy.
I'm running 4.1.2 android version and kernel version 3.0.31-742346
Original battery made in Japan assembled in china GB/T18287-2000
I don't know if this info helps but please give an answer guys because I tried lots of things and nothing seems to work.02-20-2014 03:02 AM
- HI. i have the same problem. have had my phone a year now. the battery has never been great but seen as it is a smart phone i know none of them are great. i could always get a day at least out of it without worrying it will die on me, but lately it is getting drained alot quicker and not even lasting 8 hours, i have restored my phone. bought a higher powered longer lasting battery. (not samsung i no i shouldnt have but i want my battery to last a day) and still it doesnt last more than 8 hours, im not using my phone any more than i ever have done. i have closed all apps that are running in the back round, my screen brightness is all the way down. all web browers are closed. and in fairness if i have to do all that and still cant get a day out my phone then its useless. why have a smart phone if i cant turn the brightness up or do anything else!! ANY HELP WELCOME!!! Thank You02-24-2014 01:54 PM
- hey i received an update on my samsung s3 mini and i downloaded it..after installing the download i cant rearrange my apps manually in app tray..all im doing now is placing the icons in alphabetical order.can anyone help me how can i rearrange manually my apps in apptray.and im also draining my battery very fast..one moment it shows 80%battery and after 10min it shows 10% and its dying..can u guys help me how to arrange my apps like before.03-03-2014 10:52 AM
- Welcome to the forums!
Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk06-30-2014 12:13 PM
- Hi guys, my phone and daughters doing the same, i got in touch with o2 has that my network, they say the up to date software is to big for the phone and needs to go in to a phone place to get sorted.. now i cant say if its just samsung mini lll ... but ours only started after the latest up date... hope it helps some ..07-09-2014 07:29 AM
- We have the same problem. I guess, this kind of thing usually happens not only on galaxy phones but to others as well. As on my part, I bought my new battery which is a compatible to all galaxy phones. I believe you can buy batteries via online shopping. There are great deals out there. As for you, maybe you need to buy new.07-31-2014 09:27 AM
- Welcome to the forums!
- boot into Recovery mode and clear the system cache
- boot into Recovery mode and perform a Factory Reset
- reload the stock firmware from scratch
- you bought a rather underpowered/mid-range phone: perhaps you should consider a phone with better specs next time
- although there are several very nice phones available right now (LG G3, Samsung Galaxy S5, HTC M8 [and the Moto X or Moto G are still great if you want to purchase off-contract rather than using your upgrade]) if you can wait another month or so there may be some new phones released (Nexus 6? Moto X+1?) that will be worth the wait
Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk08-20-2014 01:07 PM
- From my experience and after reading this thread I am pretty sure that there is two kinds of problems. One being in OS update and one being in your battery as juandariorodas experienced. I have had my Samsung Galaxy S3 mini now bit over one and half a year and I have experienced same problems than juandariorodas. Battery basically lives about 20 minutes for example, watching youtube video. In charger it will last as long as the socket is giving power. Only difference with juandariorodas is that it drains the battery while sleep. Like it can go from 70% in ten to 30 minutes to 4%. After getting to 4% it will stay there as it would do normally when the battery is okay. And it will also last that long as normally. I know it cause sides of my battery are indirect. It spins on the table and the back cover doesn't close properly. I have now experienced this twice first time being in last December and now 9-10 months after I bought my first replacement battery I started to happen again. I have also experienced some problems earlier this year with the battery not even loading while in charger but after testing another charger I found out that the problem was in the charger. At sometime I also experienced my battery to drain from 100% to 1% in like under 30 minutes, when I was using it to watch videos or play games, but the last 1% could last up to one and half our. I can't remember did this happen after or before I had bought my first battery. The problem either went away because I bought a new battery or it just was a bug in OS or for some weird reason it just went away but I haven't experienced it after that one time. Besides that thing I have only come up against this swelling battery problem. My friend had the same problem as I although he had one and half a year older phone than I had. I can't remember what Samsung model it was. Also another of my friend experienced the problem with his Samsung Galagxy s5 or s4. I have to say also that me and especially my friend with s4/5 uses our phones a lot mainly to watch videos from youtube. I about two and he about three hour per day. And it is maybe stupid to say that when you use your phone a lot you have to charge is a lot too. That can also cause some problems. I would like to hear how much you use your phone daily if you have the swelling battery problem.
My tips are that if your battery doesn't spin on table you should check known bugs in the your current OS, try these tips about reseting your phone or check that the problem isn't in your charger. If you don't find any answers from those operations try a new battery. If new battery doesn't help either buy a new phone. From my experience I will never ever again buy a phone that is as weak as S3 mini and I am currently waiting Samsungs and other mobile companies to bring their new best phones to the markets and deciding my new phone after that.
I hoped that this helped someone and thanks for getting me on the anroid community.
EDIT: I have to say after seeing Iphone 6's specs, I know that the apple isn't still for me.09-12-2014 11:28 AM
- Peace guys,
Was suffering from the same problem, phone kept dying - eventually, it got really bad, rang o2 and they said it was not a battery issue but a software one, and said they would need to send the phone off, which as a result would reset everything and would take about a week. I had no success with Samsung Kies. Eventually, after using one of my wife's old phones for two months, I decided to do some research on the internet, and lo and behold - I looked at my battery and it wouldn't fit back into my phone because it was so fat, despite pushing it in. Finally, I purchased another battery, and phone came on after two months. I have had no problems (Alhamdulillah) for one month now.
Tip: Don't leave your phone on charge over night as apparently, this phone (maybe others) can get over-charged and as a result battery becomes faulty. Thus, charge it to perhaps 95% and take it off charge.
[Ps - research the true Islam for true satisfaction]11-05-2014 07:14 PM
- Samsung Android Phones
- Samsung Galaxy S3
- Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini
Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini unexplicable Battery drain
- By ToMeR12 in forum General Help and How ToReplies: 1Last Post: 02-02-2015, 08:54 PM
getting the galaxy gear tomorrow does anyone have the gear for their note 2 if so how do you like itBy zaydabarber in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 2Replies: 6Last Post: 01-19-2014, 11:37 AM
- By atrain311qes109 in forum Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3Replies: 1Last Post: 01-13-2014, 12:18 PM
- By spangle216 in forum Samsung Galaxy S3 MiniReplies: 1Last Post: 01-11-2014, 05:30 PM
- By Ilsf Andy in forum Samsung Galaxy S4Replies: 2Last Post: 01-11-2014, 05:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD