Considering buying S3 mini

Vanyght

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I currently have a Nexus 4, but it seems to be on its last legs (I tend to be a bit rough with my belongings). It seems to have trouble picking up signal other than wifi and won't charge unless I turn it off.
So I'm thinking of switching over to the S3 mini. I need an unlocked phone since I'm currently deployed and using the Roshan network right now so I'll be switching SIM cards when I get back home. Here's the criteria I'm looking for:
-unlocked (though I could probably do this myself)
-removable microSD
-removable battery
-good battery life
-$100-$300 price range
I'm mostly looking for something reliable that I'll be able to use until I get home. There's a pretty good chance I'll upgrade once I get back home and just keep the S3 mini as a backup phone or a dedicated music player.

Does anyone have any input if this is the right choice? Or should I go with another phone?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I currently have a Nexus 4, but it seems to be on its last legs (I tend to be a bit rough with my belongings). It seems to have trouble picking up signal other than wifi and won't charge unless I turn it off.
So I'm thinking of switching over to the S3 mini. I need an unlocked phone since I'm currently deployed and using the Roshan network right now so I'll be switching SIM cards when I get back home. Here's the criteria I'm looking for:
-unlocked (though I could probably do this myself)
-removable microSD
-removable battery
-good battery life
-$100-$300 price range
I'm mostly looking for something reliable that I'll be able to use until I get home. There's a pretty good chance I'll upgrade once I get back home and just keep the S3 mini as a backup phone or a dedicated music player.

Does anyone have any input if this is the right choice? Or should I go with another phone?

Welcome to the forums.
For your criteria, yes, this would be a good choice. Devices are starting to go away from removable SD cards, and batteries.

If you are open to leaving those 2 options out, You can look at the Moto G on Play as your temporary. I have a Moto X right now and love it. I also have a Nexus 5 which is also a very good phone.

Vanyght

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for warm welcome.

I'm pretty adamant on getting a phone with a removable media and battery, it's been my only gripes with my Nexus 4, otherwise it's been quite the phone at such a low price.

After taking a look into the Google Play store, I'm tempted to forego the backup and just get a high-end phone. I was particularly looking to the S4 and Sony Z Ultra. I'm a bit worried though that there'll be a new batch of phones coming out soon, making my soon-to-be newly bought already obsolete. The Nexus 5 has also been under my radar, but I'm worried I'll run into the same complaints that I did with the Nexus 4.
Should I grab a lower-end device now and upgrade later or get the high-end device now?

Edit: After some thought I realized that it may just be an impulse to pick up the latest and greatest and I should really give it some more thought if I really intend to spend $600+ to pick up one of these high-end phones. It may be smarter to just go with the low-end phone for now.

Last edited:

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I second the "wait". The new S5 will be out soon and S4 prices are sure to drop as well.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

SbTwister

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
First go to gsmarena and compare both phones against eachother.The s3 mini is absolutely Not on par with Nexus 4. First check what you will get before you buy.

Vanyght

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
First go to gsmarena and compare both phones against eachother.The s3 mini is absolutely Not on par with Nexus 4. First check what you will get before you buy.

I know that the S3 Mini is the weaker device, I was just looking for something that works and is reliable until I get back home.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I know that the S3 Mini is the weaker device, I was just looking for something that works and is reliable until I get back home.

Welcome to AC :)
The S3 mini is the only decent phone that fits into your criteria. Most other phones with SD cards are low end. I say get that now and then upgrade to something whenever you get back home. The S5 is expected in the coming months :D

Posted via Android Central App

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I had the S3 Mini for a week. It's a nice little phone. Descent build and quite peppy.

Sent from my liberated iPad Air LTE 

Qrczak

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi there,
I have S3 mini for quite some time and have to say, that this is a good phone. One of the nice things about it, is that it's small and You cause use it with one hand with ease. And it has quite good things inside, can't see any lag or anything. Good phone for it's price. Battery? With moderate usage, You can easily get to 2-2,5 days, maybe 3 if You are frugal with use of phone. But, back to Your question - Yes, S3 mini is a good choice, with good screen and very nice sound coming from stock earphones.

As for other phones I would propose Samsung Galaxy Ace3 LTE (bigger battery and faster net), although I haven't used it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87