Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Haalcyon
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Considering buying S3 mini

    I currently have a Nexus 4, but it seems to be on its last legs (I tend to be a bit rough with my belongings). It seems to have trouble picking up signal other than wifi and won't charge unless I turn it off.
    So I'm thinking of switching over to the S3 mini. I need an unlocked phone since I'm currently deployed and using the Roshan network right now so I'll be switching SIM cards when I get back home. Here's the criteria I'm looking for:
    -unlocked (though I could probably do this myself)
    -removable microSD
    -removable battery
    -good battery life
    -$100-$300 price range
    I'm mostly looking for something reliable that I'll be able to use until I get home. There's a pretty good chance I'll upgrade once I get back home and just keep the S3 mini as a backup phone or a dedicated music player.

    Does anyone have any input if this is the right choice? Or should I go with another phone?
  2. #2  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    21,786 Posts
    Global Posts
    22,226 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: Considering buying S3 mini

    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyght View Post
    I currently have a Nexus 4, but it seems to be on its last legs (I tend to be a bit rough with my belongings). It seems to have trouble picking up signal other than wifi and won't charge unless I turn it off.
    So I'm thinking of switching over to the S3 mini. I need an unlocked phone since I'm currently deployed and using the Roshan network right now so I'll be switching SIM cards when I get back home. Here's the criteria I'm looking for:
    -unlocked (though I could probably do this myself)
    -removable microSD
    -removable battery
    -good battery life
    -$100-$300 price range
    I'm mostly looking for something reliable that I'll be able to use until I get home. There's a pretty good chance I'll upgrade once I get back home and just keep the S3 mini as a backup phone or a dedicated music player.

    Does anyone have any input if this is the right choice? Or should I go with another phone?
    Welcome to the forums.
    For your criteria, yes, this would be a good choice. Devices are starting to go away from removable SD cards, and batteries.

    If you are open to leaving those 2 options out, You can look at the Moto G on Play as your temporary. I have a Moto X right now and love it. I also have a Nexus 5 which is also a very good phone.

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Considering buying S3 mini

    Thanks for warm welcome.

    I'm pretty adamant on getting a phone with a removable media and battery, it's been my only gripes with my Nexus 4, otherwise it's been quite the phone at such a low price.

    After taking a look into the Google Play store, I'm tempted to forego the backup and just get a high-end phone. I was particularly looking to the S4 and Sony Z Ultra. I'm a bit worried though that there'll be a new batch of phones coming out soon, making my soon-to-be newly bought already obsolete. The Nexus 5 has also been under my radar, but I'm worried I'll run into the same complaints that I did with the Nexus 4.
    Should I grab a lower-end device now and upgrade later or get the high-end device now?

    Edit: After some thought I realized that it may just be an impulse to pick up the latest and greatest and I should really give it some more thought if I really intend to spend $600+ to pick up one of these high-end phones. It may be smarter to just go with the low-end phone for now.
  4. #4  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    21,786 Posts
    Global Posts
    22,226 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: Considering buying S3 mini

    I was going to suggest to wait as well.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Considering buying S3 mini

    I second the "wait". The new S5 will be out soon and S4 prices are sure to drop as well.

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Considering buying S3 mini

    First go to gsmarena and compare both phones against eachother.The s3 mini is absolutely Not on par with Nexus 4. First check what you will get before you buy.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Considering buying S3 mini

    Quote Originally Posted by SbTwister View Post
    First go to gsmarena and compare both phones against eachother.The s3 mini is absolutely Not on par with Nexus 4. First check what you will get before you buy.
    I know that the S3 Mini is the weaker device, I was just looking for something that works and is reliable until I get back home.
  8. #8  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,724 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

    Default Re: Considering buying S3 mini

    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyght View Post
    I know that the S3 Mini is the weaker device, I was just looking for something that works and is reliable until I get back home.
    Welcome to AC
    The S3 mini is the only decent phone that fits into your criteria. Most other phones with SD cards are low end. I say get that now and then upgrade to something whenever you get back home. The S5 is expected in the coming months

    Posted via Android Central App
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  9. #9  
    Haalcyon's Avatar

    Posts
    6,004 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,501 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

    Default Re: Considering buying S3 mini

    Welcome to Android Central! I had the S3 Mini for a week. It's a nice little phone. Descent build and quite peppy.


    Sent from my liberated iPad Air LTE 
    Live long and prosper.


    Golfdriver97 likes this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: Considering buying S3 mini

    Thanks everyone, I appreciate all your input. You've all been very informative.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Considering buying S3 mini

    Hi there,
    I have S3 mini for quite some time and have to say, that this is a good phone. One of the nice things about it, is that it's small and You cause use it with one hand with ease. And it has quite good things inside, can't see any lag or anything. Good phone for it's price. Battery? With moderate usage, You can easily get to 2-2,5 days, maybe 3 if You are frugal with use of phone. But, back to Your question - Yes, S3 mini is a good choice, with good screen and very nice sound coming from stock earphones.

    As for other phones I would propose Samsung Galaxy Ace3 LTE (bigger battery and faster net), although I haven't used it.

Similar Threads

  1. Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini Won't Turn On
    By Aidan Clucas in forum Samsung Galaxy S3
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-29-2014, 07:56 PM
  2. Galaxy s3 pink screen no display..help!!
    By jr s in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-29-2014, 05:26 AM
  3. So much bloatware o my Korean Galaxy S3 SHV-E210K
    By skstrials in forum Android 4.1 / 4.2 / 4.3 Jelly Bean
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-08-2014, 03:30 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-06-2014, 03:05 AM
  5. Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 Jailbreak/Rooting question
    By emilystienburg in forum Samsung Galaxy S3
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-05-2014, 11:45 PM

Posting Permissions