1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Thumbs up Internet home page keeps changing

Hi

Can some one please help - I have just upgraded to Samsung Mini S111 and every time I set my internet home page, then close it, it comes up with some odd, random site that i've not even been on - OR just a blank page. When i go back to settings, the page is still set at i.e. Google.
    No idea why and its annoying - any ideas please, ta

Default Re: Internet home page keeps changing

Welcome to Android Central! Is there any pattern to the random sites that come up? Do they all seem to be ads for apps, or shady services (like ads for antivirus apps or services)? If so, I'd wonder if some bit of adware is causing your browser to behave this way.

Is this with Chrome or the stock Browser? Try going to the Application Manager, select whichever browser you're using, and Clear Cache and Clear Data. Then try again.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Hi, thanks for reply.
    I did what you said, cleared cache and data , its Chrome browser.
    The page that comes up is * about: blank*, no ads - I have set homepage to msn.co.uk but it never comes up even now after clearing cache etc.

Chrome on mobile doesn't actually have a homepage settting. You can set your homepage on desktop Chrome, but there is no home function on mobile Chrome. How are you setting the homepage?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Hi
    I open internet - settings - general - set homepage -0ther - type in url then OK.
    Sorry Im not sure about the Chrome / Stock browser , dont really understand what it means,

You're using the stock browser, which is separate from Chrome. Chrome is mobile version of Google's main browser (that you can also use on your computer). "Internet" or "Browser" (what it's called depends on the device) is the stock browser, which means it is based on one of the original browsers that came on Android (from AOSP, the Android Open Source Project). The stock browser has generally fewer features than Chrome, but sometimes has a few that Chrome doesn't.

When you cleared cache/data, was it for the Chrome app or the Internet app?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Hi, I set home page via internet and settings, it was set for Vodafone but I wanted to change it

When you set the homepage on the stock browser, the main way it comes up is if you open a new tab. Typically, when you close the browser, and then open it up, it will open to the last page you were on, not the homepage that you set. In order to come up with your homepage, you would have to exit out of every open tab in your browser before closing it. So when you next open the browser and choose to open a new tab, your homepage would then show up.

This is one of the deficiencies of the stock Android browser and Chrome--there really is no "Home" button.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

I have tried everything and just about given up !! I did what you said exited out of every open tab, but the home page I set it at still didnt come up .....thanks very much for help but I reckon I'm a lost cause !!! Thanks