Safe Mode: What is deactivated?

crichtth

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi

Have had a look on here but cant see exactly what im looking for.

I have an s3 mini that wont go to sleep... power button > screen goes off > screen goes back on. Causing battery drain.
Ive put it into safe mode, and it works fine. now, there are no 3rd party apps installed as i have factory reset and uninstalled any apps left on the downloaded section of app manager. so it must be a system app that is the fault.

My main question... what does safe mode deactivate other than 3rd party apps? Really frustrating

Thanks
T

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Hi

Have had a look on here but cant see exactly what im looking for.

I have an s3 mini that wont go to sleep... power button > screen goes off > screen goes back on. Causing battery drain.
Ive put it into safe mode, and it works fine. now, there are no 3rd party apps installed as i have factory reset and uninstalled any apps left on the downloaded section of app manager. so it must be a system app that is the fault.

My main question... what does safe mode deactivate other than 3rd party apps? Really frustrating

Thanks
T

You pretty much answered your own question, with regarding 3rd party apps as from the quote below describes what safe mode does

Safe Mode temporarily disables all apps that have been installed via Google Play. Performing this troubleshooting step is necessary to determine whether a third-party app is the cause of an operating system / app issue.

With Safe mode enabled, test device and app functionality. If the previous issue fails to occur, the cause has been isolated to a third-party app and all recently installed/updated apps should be uninstalled. With Safe mode disabled, reinstall then test each app, one at a time, to identify which is causing the problem

So the screen wont stay off ?

crichtth

May 15, 2014
Visit site
correct... wont stay off.

after safe mode is entered, and all 3rd party apps are disabled. the phone works. i have then went and deleted any downloaded apps, and disabled all google apps (except playstore and services) so might be one of them? might need to sideload the playstore/services again?

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
.....(snip) i have factory reset....(snip)

So you did a factory reset and still had an issue? I would have unchecked that box that pops up when restoring phone that ask if you want to restore stuff. That way you do not restore anything that "might" be giving you issues.

As far as the core apps go .
I would be careful about which apps you disabled , there are some apps you shouldn't disable.