Firmware upgrade encountered an issue

ForeignKid

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone, I have aproblem with my Samsung Galaxy S3 mini (GT-I8200). I cannot get into download or recovery mode. Regardless of what combination of buttons I push, I always get to the same screen: "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again."

Whenever I plug in my phone my Windows tells me "USB device not recognized" so it does not get picked up by Odin. I have installed 5 different versions of "Samsung usb phone drivers" few times and I still get the same message. I have tried few other solutions that I found but it didn't didn't work. Is there anything I can do to fix this or can I start using my Samsung as a ****ty coaster? :/

Any information will be appreciated.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Since you can't get into either recovery or Download, you may have to look at a JTAG service. Do you know what happened to cause this?

ForeignKid

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for replying. I was trying to install CyanogenMod 11. Dono much about JTAG, can I do that myself or will I have to take it to a tech store?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
Dono much about JTAG, can I do that myself or will I have to take it to a tech store?
You'll have to take it in - JTAG uses specialized hardware and software to access the phone memory directly. Ex.
http://mobiletechvideos.mybigcommerce.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-jtag-brick-repair/

http://www.fonefunshop.co.uk/Unlocking/unlock/i900_boot_repair.htm

It's rather unusual that the phone won't enter Download mode - you've successfully entered that mode before, right?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

ForeignKid

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Yes I have successfully entered the download mode when I tried putting the CyanogenMod on with Odin. The last time I was able to access the download mode, Odin's message was "All threads completed. (success 0 / failed 1)".

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
The only thing I could suggest besides JTAG would be to see if you can load a debrick image for your device. It's pretty rare to need this so I don't even have any links for you but a Google search should turn up something. IIRC the debrick image will be model specific (i.e. you can't use one for the T-Mobile variant on an AT&T device) and it's also size specific (there's a different file for a 32GB version vs. a 16GB version). Good luck.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk