S3 sd card apps greyed out

HornetUk

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
I moved two apps to my sd card and after a few hours they get greyed out. My photos on the card are still accessible. If I restart the phone the apps work fine, but again go grey after a few hours. Anyone know why this is happening? Thanks for any help.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you connecting the phone to your computer before the apps go grey? When you connect the phone via USB to the computer, it may be causing the external SD card to unmount from the phone, so that it can be mounted to the computer as an external drive. Unmounting the card from the phone might essentially break the link for the apps that are installed to SD (remember that these apps are broken up, with the main portion in Internal Storage, and a portion on the SD), and render them inoperable until the next time you reboot.

HornetUk

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply, no never connected to PC. Just reformatted card on phone, but still dissapear, yet restart and they are fine. Photos always accessible on card, just apps go grey.

Thanks again

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's possible the card isn't tightly seated, so that it might be unmounting and mounting on its own. Or it might be a defective card. Can you try another card?

Posted via Android Central App

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
after a few hours they get greyed out
They get greyed out where - on the Home screen, in the Apps Drawer or in the Application manager?
On the Home screen, if you long-press one of the apps that's greyed out and select 'App info', does it show anything worth while?
If you use a File manager to look at the files on the SD card once an app gets greyed out, do you see anything unusual?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

HornetUk

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
So far after following the advice about taking the card out they have been fine. Weird the photos on the card could be accessed but not the apps?

Thanks again

HornetUk

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
Spoke to soonapps greyed out again. Yet music and photos on card fine. The app info shows SD card app 14.25MB and SD card data 0, Total 23.41.I cannot see anything in the file manager SD folders for the tow apps on the SD card. If I power off they appear again.

Any ideas again? This time was fine for longer. Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
As I mentioned before, it may be that the card is unmounting and remounting by itself, perhaps due to a loose connection, a dirty contact, or a defective card. The process of unmounting the card might break the connection for the apps (which would become functional one again once you rebooted). Check the card's contacts to make sure they're clean. You might also consider testing out a diffferent card, in case your current one is faulty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol