Final S3 Rooting Questions

Aziel Oropeza

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
Ok, i still have a few questions i need help in. The reasons i want to root is so i can delete some built in apps like Google Music and such and so i can underclock my phone for battery life. Not interested in custom ROMs or anything over the edge. I dont have KNOX on my phone and the root tutorial im using doesnt have any root recovery file and im really nervous because i dont want to brick my phone.the only files it has is ODIN 3.07 and some CF-Auto-Root .zip. i need help please help answer my questions.
1. Since i dont have KNOX, will it make rooting easier?
2. Do i need a custom recovery?
3. Should i download SuperSU before, or after i root?
And also, can SuperSU underclock my phone or do i need a different app, and if so, what should i get?

The_Ab5trakt

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Ok, i still have a few questions i need help in. The reasons i want to root is so i can delete some built in apps like Google Music and such and so i can underclock my phone for battery life. Not interested in custom ROMs or anything over the edge. I dont have KNOX on my phone and the root tutorial im using doesnt have any root recovery file and im really nervous because i dont want to brick my phone.the only files it has is ODIN 3.07 and some CF-Auto-Root .zip. i need help please help answer my questions.
1. Since i dont have KNOX, will it make rooting easier?
2. Do i need a custom recovery?
3. Should i download SuperSU before, or after i root?
And also, can SuperSU underclock my phone or do i need a different app, and if so, what should i get?

Knox doesn't really affect rooting. I guess it does if you're not paying attention to what you're doing. If you flash a wrong .zip file, it'll hard brick your phone. Since you don't have it, it's nothing to worry about.

I'd suggest using a custom recovery, even though you're not going to use ROMs. If you're going to flash SuperSU, kernels, or whatever, I think a custom recovery works better. If you ever want to do a nandroid backup, you need a custom recovery for that. Also, it works better for wiping data, cache, and dalvik if you ever need to. I suggest using Philz Touch Recovery: Philz. I should add that this only works with the US Galaxy S3 and not the international version. I suggest using Odin to install it. Download the .tar.md5 file to your computer. Turn off phone and go to Download Mode by pressing Volume Down+Home Button+Power Button at same time. Connect phone to computer with USB. In Odin, make sure auto-reboot is unchecked and PDA is checked. Click on PDA and find Philz .tar.md5 file. Then, click Install. After it says Pass!, you're rooted with custom recovery.

I suggest downloading SuperSU before you root. First thing you want to do after you root is to boot into recovery and flash the SuperSU .zip file: SuperSU. After installing Philz via Odin, unplug phone from computer>take out battery>put battery back in>boot into recovery by pressing Volume Up+Home Button+Power Button at same time>install .zip file.

SuperSU does not underclock your phone. What it does is allow you to use apps that require rooted/superuser access. I'd suggest downloading a kernel tweaker app. I use TricksterMOD.

Aziel Oropeza

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the recovery .zip file. Rooting went with a success with the only trouble of the odin window being too big for my screen which gave me trouble for hitting the statt button. Haven't gotten the recovery file in but so far everything is working like a charm.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781