CM 11 Battery Drain on S3?

Padman1234

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
As a disclaimer, I just rooted my phone the other day and I'm not as familiar with everything to do with rooting and ROMS yet

Anyway, on Sunday night I rooted my phone and then flashed CM11 onto it. And then just like that my battery started draining fast. I'd say about a percent every two minutes, sometimes it takes less time.

I tried all the advice I could get. Calibrated my battery(although I then read that this didn't actually work), disabled location services and the like for Google services and I took out my SD card to see if that was draining the battery as I heard it did. No change. The things using up my battery the most is Android OS and screen.

My battery was never that great. I got the phone in January but my aunty gave it to me as she got a new phone. So she had been using it for about a year and a half. The battery was okay.. Buy I've noticed its gotten worse since I flashed CM11.

so please if anyone has any advice I'd love to hear it 😂

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Calibrated my battery(although I then read that this didn't actually work)
Not unless you run a calibration app that lets you see the battery voltage, then set the "calibration" to 100% once the battery stops increasing in voltage.

The things using up my battery the most is Android OS and screen.
Between Android and screen (assuming normal screen usage), that's half your battery drain or more, normally.

Do a factory reset. (Back up any data you may have put on there since flashing CM that you don't have backed up first.) Then turn the phone off, fully charge the battery and leave it on the charger for half an hour after you first notice that it's fully charged. Unplug the charger, turn the phone on and use it normally until it tells you to charge it (or it reaches 20% charge, whichever comes first). Turn it off and fully charge it again. 3 full charges and 3 "down to 20%" discharges. Then fully charge it and try to never let it get below 40% (50% is the best charge point for longest battery life - 40% won't shorten the life much, 30% will.)

A new ROM takes a while to "settle in", update things, etc. It does a lot of work. After a week or so it should stabilize. As for the battery, some experts will tell you that modern lithium batteries don't need conditioning (the 3 charge/discharge cycles), some will tell you that they do if they haven't been used in a while or they've been abused. It can't hurt and it may help, so I always do that with a new battery or one that's been sitting for a year or more, or that has less than 30% charge when I get it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2