Rooting Help!

Padman1234

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
So a few days ago I rooted my phone using Kingo (Galaxy S3 i9300). Then I flashed CM11 and it was great. So today i flashed temasek's unofficial CM12 and when I finished, I realised it got rid of my root access. I wouldn't have minded that much but the ROM got rid of my google apps, so I don't have any google services and I can't isntall them because my device isn't rooted anymore!
So I used Kingo again to root but it just kept getting stuck in "download requisite dependency files" over and over again. It would say that, then "waiting for device" then "checking ROOT status" and ten "download reuisite dependency files" and it just went on and on for ages. In the end I stopped the rooting because I felt it wasn't doing anything.
So what do I do now? I'm really angry because I literally can't do anything because I'm not rooted. Any advise? It would be appreciated.
Thanks

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
So a few days ago I rooted my phone using Kingo (Galaxy S3 i9300). Then I flashed CM11 and it was great. So today i flashed temasek's unofficial CM12 and when I finished, I realised it got rid of my root access.
Not exactly. You root the ROM, not the phone. You rooted CM11, then you installed an unrooted CM12.

I wouldn't have minded that much but the ROM got rid of my google apps
There's a link on the Cyanogen site toGapps - you have to download and install them.

so I don't have any google services and I can't isntall them because my device isn't rooted anymore!
I don't think CM12 can be rooted yet. Check on their forum to make sure.

So I used Kingo again to root but it just kept getting stuck in "download requisite dependency files" over and over again. It would say that, then "waiting for device" then "checking ROOT status" and ten "download reuisite dependency files" and it just went on and on for ages. In the end I stopped the rooting because I felt it wasn't doing anything.
It was looking for an exploit that will work with CM12 and since it has none, it just kept looking.

So what do I do now? I'm really angry because I literally can't do anything because I'm not rooted. Any advise? It would be appreciated.
Thanks
Install a rooted ROM. You don't have to be rooted to flash a ROM (because you're getting rid of the ROM you rooted by installing a new one) - see [Samsung] How to flash Stock ROM via ODIN.

Just so you understand:
To root a phone, you have to be rooted, which is a kind of Catch 22. So developers find ways of making the phone run rooted temporarily, so that they can copy su (the file that gives you root) to /system/bin or /system/xbin, which you can't do unless you're rooted. Until someone finds a way to get temporary root on a given ROM, that ROM can't be rooted. (It took many months before Geohot figured out how to do it on 4.4.2.)

If you build the system yourself (Android is open source, so you can), you can build it rooted. Otherwise you have to wait for someone to figure out a way to root a particular ROM. But, as I said, check the CyanogenMod Forum to see if there's a way to root CM12.

Padman1234

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Thanks but I actually got it back again last night! I'm just confused about rooting. I thought i couldn't flash a ROM without root. Anyway I flashed CM11 again and then the 4.4.3 gapps and everything is working again.

Posted via the Android Central App