Samsung Galaxy S III: 5.25" Display in a Galaxy S II Case?

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
attachment.php

This unofficial rendering circulated last week. Samsung has been sampling a number of "Edge-to-Edge" Displays also known as "No Bezel" displays. The concept is that the display covers almost the entire front.

If you scale the mockup to the size of a 4.5" Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch, you get a 5.25" display.

A 4.3" AT&T Galaxy S II could have a 5.01" Edge-to-Edge display.

Last edited:

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site

This rendering circulated last week. Samsung has been sampling a number of "Edge-to-Edge" Displays also known as "No Bezel" displays. The concept is that the display covers almost the entire front.

If you scale the mockup to the size of a 4.5" Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch, you get a 5.25" display.

A 4.3" AT&T Galaxy S II could have a 5.01" Edge-to-Edge display.

We've seen a slew of edge to edge screen mockups for ages. I've never seen one find daylightx though. No OEM is using a design like that, still. Is backlighting tech. even capable of being used on a screen w/out bezels? I'd love to see something like this get past the R&D phase but it's been a no show outside of cadbscreen mockups and thevlike. I'm skeptical of the realistic implimentation until I see it. I really hope we do in the near future now that ICS makes it plausible on the software end. Hardware, though???

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
...Is backlighting tech. even capable of being used on a screen w/out bezels? ...
Samsung has been sampling SAMOLED edge-to-edge display, not LCD.

SAMOLED does not use backlights so it needs no bezel except a thin edge to protect the display. By removing the backlight layer, phones can be thinner and lighter. Black requires full power on an LCD display but almost no power on a SAMOLED display so it also saves battery.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
if they do go with no bezel good luck trying to get a case for it or holding it and not inadvertently hitting something on the screen. Plus various sites said it was not the case but a reader mock up although I wish they would make a larger screen in the same size as 4.3 phones.

MrSlippery519

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
if they do go with no bezel good luck trying to get a case for it or holding it and not inadvertently hitting something on the screen. Plus various sites said it was not the case but a reader mock up although I wish they would make a larger screen in the same size as 4.3 phones.

There would still be a lip on the edge so a case should be no problem, just not as big as what we see currently. I think current phones are pushing it in terms of size we need to start seeing new tech that allows a bigger screen in the same size case along with improved battery life.

If the SAMOLED is everything they claim it to be that will be a serious step in the right direction.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
That render is a fan render and in no way related to Sammy...
Agreed.

I am just showing how big a screen would fit into an Epic 4G Touch case if the bezel width could be reduced.

The bezel can never completely go away as it protects the screen but the bezels are definitely getting thinner.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I am so excited for this phone. And if people can make a Google TV, I have no trouble imagining someone can create a new styled case for a phone. I have high hopes for the Tegra 3 SGS3.

Comineeyeaha

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
Not happening. There's a reason bezels exist. The smallest you'll see Samsung get are bezels the size of the Nexus'.

This. If there was no bezel, you would find yourself tapping actions on the left and right side of the screen inadvertently. I could see if maybe they designed it so that the visible screen went out that far, but that the touch sensitivity was way lower towards the edge, but I don't feel like any company would do that just to have no bezel.

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
This. If there was no bezel, you would find yourself tapping actions on the left and right side of the screen inadvertently. I could see if maybe they designed it so that the visible screen went out that far, but that the touch sensitivity was way lower towards the edge, but I don't feel like any company would do that just to have no bezel.

Not to mention making cases work with these phone will be troublesome. But they could cut some of the bezel on the top and bottom of the phone. The sides are as thin as they should be.

goliath602

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
As cool as a Galaxy without a bezel may look, it just doesn't seem piratical. The phone will break much easier if dropped because there will be very little protection for the screen, and case manufacturers will have a tough time designing a case that can fully protect the phone. I am very comfortable with the bezel on the sides on my Samsung GS2. However, I would enjoy a smaller top and bottom bezel. ICS should help that problem out a good amount because it doesn't utilize the four capacitive Android buttons.

TropicalSammich

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
i could see this working if the there was an 'on screen' bezel during menu / idle use, and then if you were to pop on a video, the on screen bezel 'black bars' would go away, allowing the movie to take advantage of the whole screen. but that's about it. i agree with everyone else, if the screen was edge to edge 100% of the time, fingers would be opening, closing, dialing on accident..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781