05-01-2012 09:43 PM
- I have a friend who is divulging info to me from who he claims to be a "decently high up" source at Samsung. I got this last night. Again, this is only rumor, take this with a grain of salt. I'm posting this simply because he is generally trustworthy and it's interesting to speculate. There's definitely some "duh" specs here.
-Revealed May 3rd (well, this has come true )
-4.7" 720p Super Amoled+ Screen
-16 and 32GB internal storage models, although he doubts the availablity of the 32GB in the US
-8mp shooter on the back, does not protrude from the device. BSI, 1080p at 30fps, 720p at 60fps.
-big battery, "bigger than 2200mah"
-thinner than GSII, described as "remarkably thin"'
-Will have capacitive buttons similar to Epic 4G Touch and HTC devices
-Will hit the U.S. "much sooner" than previous models, and will launch in Europe "less than one month" after announcement. "Sprint first" then "T-mo/ATT around the same time". He said we'll have it during the Summer for sure. No Verizon.
-Testers have had it in their hands for a while, albeit with a different form factor to prevent leaks.
-Every purported leak so far as been fake (no surprise)
-May not be called GSIII. Might be something like GS Next. Of course Sprint will have their way with the name
As for the processor, he said the initial Euro launch model will feature the A9 quad core 4412 Exynos, while the American Sprint launch will see the dual core 2ghz A15 Exynos (yes!). Several companies will be using the 4412 in their phones. Due to possible supply concerns, Sammy has accelerated production of the new A15 chip to use in their phones exclusively. A revised Euro version with the updated processor may become available down the line. It will also feature an improved 12mp shooter (1080p 60fps, 720p at 90fps!). It will be available around the late holiday season if so, and may see an early 2013 US release.
There WILL be a successor the Note, featuring the better camera and proc.
And that's it. Any questions for this guy? He's usually pretty good about responding on FB, although I don't wanna prod him too hard. Again, this is only a rumor, take it with a grain of salt.04-16-2012 11:05 AMLike 5
- Ahhh I love rumormongering. There's something about all the speculating and theorizing, and being wrong way more often than being right that always gets my blood pumping.
Your info does line up pretty well with some of the little bit of info we've seen thus far, so we shall see. But to me, it sounds too good to be true (as these rumors often do), mainly in the area of the dual A15 Exynos in the US variants. I'll believe that when I see it. Everything about the US specs are just too "perfect", which is probably a good thing otherwise we wouldn't get to be disappointed hah. Also, no Verizon? I just don't see how that could be possible this year.
Thanks for sharing. At minimum, it'll give us something to keep talking about, which is always a good thing.04-16-2012 11:25 AM
- Good stuff.. At least one can take these "rumored" comments and dream can't they?
I like the mention of Sprint first... Bigger battery and other juicy specs... Lets hope most if not all come true
Again.. Its all rumor but it sure would be nice....04-16-2012 11:25 AM
- 04-16-2012 01:46 PM
- Some more info he sent me after I asked some questions:
Sammy has really been focusing on slimness and power consumption with this thing. They're shooting for excellent battery life. All components were designed for this purpose - the camera sensor is slim and sips power, and the 32nm with their proprietary manufacturing tech is geared towards not only getting the first a15 to market, but also towards consuming %40 less power than previous. The Super Amoled+ HD is said to be stunning. He was not sure about the material of the phone, but said it was supposed to feel great in the hand, not "cheap" as some report with sammy devices. Wireless charging will be standard in the Korean market, but he's not sure about the rest of the world. It may come as an optional accessory in the rest of the world.
He said they really wanted to get the 5250 Exynos in there.
"They're really trying to get that in there ahead of schedule
The 4412 is around the same level as the S4 performance, possibly even a little less. It's a good chip, but the 5250 is astounding, especially GPU-wise
Especially in the face of Apple's A6 or whatever they shove in the iP5
They see that as the main competition, and really wanna stomp it out, theyre racing to get the chip in there and out the door this summer"
He did admit they he doesn't know too much about internals in general. He also said that there would be no 3D. Additionally, he said he hasn't heard anything about Verizon. He's not ruling out a possible Verizon launch, just saying that it's been quiet on that front. He doesn't know much about the rest of the world's launch schedule.04-16-2012 08:32 PMLike 2
- Thanks for the information. See if you can find out about these things:
1) Which carrier will be carrying it in Canada? I know we're a small market in the grand scheme of things.
2) Will the S3 be like the HTC One X for North America? Will we be getting the dual core 5250 LTE version over the quad core hspa+?
Thanks!!04-16-2012 10:09 PM
- He's didn't answer, although I included Canada in my question. I'm assuming he just doesn't know. Also, I think production availability, not LTE is the reason for the chipset difference. LTE is supported by both chipsets. One simply hasn't been in production long enough to be out as early as the phone is launching.04-16-2012 10:36 PMLike 1
- Well this just made me from definitely going with the HTC Evo 4G LTE to maybe going with it. The fact that the SGS3 may come with a dual-core A15 processor for North America would be great!. So essentially, if these specs were true, it would pretty much be a One X/Evo 4G LTE except with 720p SAMOLED+ instead of a 720p SLCD2 and a bigger battery.04-17-2012 01:50 AM
- man I'm excited, if even a couple of these rumors are true I'll be very tempted to buy it depending on the design. I'm also curious about the successor to the galaxy note that you mentioned as I'm using a GNote now. Does your source have any more info on that?04-17-2012 10:01 AM
- If this pans out, I'd be extatic, especially the sprint thing. Sprint has always gone out of its way trying to make their version of a phone better than others. The e4gt is arguably the best version of the gs2 because it has the exynos processor and the biggest screen, and they went the extra mile to differentiate the evo 4G lte from the one X. The Epic 4G was also the only galaxy s with a keyboard. Interesting how this guy has so much us carrier info, that gives hope for an earlier launch. I really hope all this turns out to be spot on.04-17-2012 04:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD