GPU Benchmark results for S3?

snoopyandroid

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
From Android and Me. Benchmarks for something called the GT-i9300 (S3?)

Samsung GT-i9300: Exynos 4412 (quad-core A9, Mali-400)
HTC One X: Tegra 3 (quad-core A9, GeForce GPU)
HTC One S: Snapdragon S4 (dual-core Krait, Adreno 225)
Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket: Snapdragon S3 (dual-core Scorpion CPU, Adreno 220)
Samsung Galaxy Nexus: OMAP4 (dual-core A9, PowerVR SGX540)

Samsung Galaxy S III compared to Tegra 3 and Snapdragon S4 in GPU benchmarks | Android and Me

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
It's only one benchmark, but the results look good and will hopefully diffuse some disappointment if the US variants don't end up with the 5250. Based on the results of this test, it seems clear that they overclocked the Mali-400 GPU. What I find most interesting is how it beats the Tegra 3 pretty handily. I'm not surprised about the S4 though, as the S4 uses an overclocked Adreno 225 GPU. The Mail-400 was arguably the best GPU of last year, and that seems to be holding true in 2012 as the clocks are pushed higher.

BEARD GANG

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Nah i dont think thats the s3, samsung wouldnt put in a GPU the same as the meizu phone thats just released. they gave them the CPU but thats nothing with the mali 400. Samsung s3 will have the same A9 cpu but with the Mali-T604 GPU instead. i just dont see how samsung would give another phone the same specs as its flagship thats supposed to challenge the iphone

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
i just dont see how samsung would give another phone the same specs as its flagship thats supposed to challenge the iphone

Money talks my friend. Samsung didn't "give another phone the specs as its flagship", they sold it.

Also, keep in mind that the CPU and GPU are on the same chip, classified as an SoC (system on a chip). It's been confirmed that the Mali-400 is the GPU included with the quad core Exynos 4412, although the clock speed has not yet been determined. This guy, Samsung Exynos 4412 (quad core) vs Nvidia Tegra 3 (quad core) | Gadgets and Mobile Reviews | www.grandmax.net, presumes it will be clocked 100MHz higher than it is in the Exynos 4210 (GSII SoC), which is a large improvement. Add in the 32nm manufacturing process vs. the 45nm in the 4210, and you have a worthy successor.

Reactions: BEARD GANG

BEARD GANG

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Money talks my friend. Samsung didn't "give another phone the specs as its flagship", they sold it.

Also, keep in mind that the CPU and GPU are on the same chip, classified as an SoC (system on a chip). It's been confirmed that the Mali-400 is the GPU included with the quad core Exynos 4412, although the clock speed has not yet been determined. This guy, Samsung Exynos 4412 (quad core) vs Nvidia Tegra 3 (quad core) | Gadgets and Mobile Reviews | www.grandmax.net, presumes it will be clocked 100MHz higher than it is in the Exynos 4210 (GSII SoC), which is a large improvement. Add in the 32nm manufacturing process vs. the 45nm in the 4210, and you have a worthy successor.

hmm ok, so can they not use the Exynos 4412 with the Mali-T604 or is that impossible ??

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
hmm ok, so can they not use the Exynos 4412 with the Mali-T604 or is that impossible ??

I highly doubt that it's impossible, but the question is, would they? If so, when? I would venture to bet that current information holds true, and they will be saving the Mali-T604 for their dual core Cortex-A15 5250. Just because the Mali-400 was used in last year's tech, doesn't mean it's outdated, especially when you increase the clock speed substantially without detrimental effects on battery life thanks to an improved manufacturing process.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Here is some more info on this.

Samsung GT-I9300 Galaxy S III graphics benchmark appears, poised to rule them all

According to that article the Mali400 was now running at 400 Mhz. I believe I read somewhere that in the S2 it runs at 266, but I can't remember where I read that..... oh wait...found it here...

Samsung Galaxy S III compared to Tegra 3 and Snapdragon S4 in GPU benchmarks | Android and Me

I too don't understand Samsung selling what's in their supposed flagship phone to Meizu, but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Even with "just" the 4412, I am sure we'll have great performance. I haven't found anything yet that my GS2 can't handle, so I am sure we're safe until the next generation phone with the 5250 on board comes out (should it really not be in the GS3)....of course by that time, they will have introduced something new again...gotta love technology!

Eaglemaniac

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
If Samsung's flagship phone comes with those benchmarks, then they are gonna get demolished by the Iphone 5. Those numbers won't be that impressive in 3 months.

snoopyandroid

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
If Samsung's flagship phone comes with those benchmarks, then they are gonna get demolished by the Iphone 5. Those numbers won't be that impressive in 3 months.

True, but I can see Samsung re-releasing an updated version of the S3 AFTER the iphone release, but have the new kick-ass A15. They'll call it S3+ or something stupid.

This is being said with tongue firmly planted in cheek. :p

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Benchmarks aren't everything....

Tegrazone games look awesome, and that's because the hardware is being used to its full potential, even if it isn't the absolute fastest.

IPhone is so smooth because of this also. Code is optimized for the hardware.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Android Central Forums

Reactions: Jerry Hildenbrand

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Later versions of the S4 will have the Adreno 3xx in it. The problem with the Mali is this...it relies on some sets of instructions that aren't as common as what Adreno uses. Games need to be coded to use them, otherwise the power of the Mali goes unused. You have a great GPU for hardware UI acceleration that doesn't run games any better than anything else.

There were threads about this on XDA, where some games wouldn't have sound because of this. There were other issues, too. Samsung should stick with PowerVR. They are fast and well supported in the community.

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Did you guys see the recent AnTu Tu bench leak?

Again, it has shown up in another benchmark. Not surprisingly, it topped it. What's interesting, is that it shows the full specs of the device:

Exynos 4212 (Dual core) @ 1.4ghz
2mp front facing shooter
12mp rear shooter
4.7" 720p
1 gig ram
GSM/WCDMA, no LTE

Interesting, for sure. Maybe this is an earlier device? Sammy just announced the 4412...

Again, it has shown up in another benchmark. Not surprisingly, it topped it. What's interesting, is that it shows the full specs of the device:

Exynos 4212 (Dual core) @ 1.4ghz
2mp front facing shooter
12mp rear shooter
4.7" 720p
1 gig ram
GSM/WCDMA, no LTE

Interesting, for sure. Maybe this is an earlier device? Sammy just announced the 4412...

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/04/2...chmark-tops-all-devices-and-lists-full-specs/

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Could be a prototype. Could be for a different market. They are also sampling an Exynos 4 Dual to customers. Basically a dual core version of the quad.

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
If we go ahead and *assume* the USA version will get the S4 Snapdragon, for LTE purposes, what kind of speculation can we make regarding the GPU?

Is it certainly Adreno 225? Is it possible it's clocked faster? Adreno 3xx not a possibility yet?

Thanks.

EDIT: I found:
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Qual...-S4-Pro-chip-with-Adreno-320-graphics_id27381
2nd half 2012...wishful thinking to hope for the Snapdragon S4 Pro with Adreno 320 GPU?

Last edited: