Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Paul627g
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Smile Buy the s3 or wait for the new nexus ?

Hello

I am not one of those who wait for ever and hold themselves for newer devices

I bought a phone 3 months ago but I do not like it and I am looking for the best hardware of this year and also the best software

I was thinking about waiting for the new nexus because I love the pure android experience but I am worried that samsung will give us the same treat as last year when the released the nexus with worse specs than the s2 except for the screen

Saying that, I love everything about s3 except two things:

1-touchwiz 2- getting android updates when they get released especially android 5.0

So what do you think folks ? any opinion and thoughts about that?

Global Posts
    1,857 Global Posts
    ROM
    TeamSonicFreeGS3 v9.1

Default Re: Buy the s3 or wait for the new nexus ?

Get the S3, If the latest leaks of the S3 are true than the phone has a lot of hardware build similarities to the Nexus. As for the software, well you can always root to get ICS stock and possibly even use an app to download the vanilla experience. Im not sure how to put stock ICS on the S3 but when I get it I probably will too.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,883 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

By what will do what you want it to do today, not what it might do in the future. The next Nexus probably won't be out til the end of the year anyway, and if the past is any indication it'll be close to the specs of the SIII. The Nexus has never really been the absolute bleeding edge of hardware. It's the software that makes it shine.

If you want a pure software experience the Galaxy Nexus is still a great phone. You can get it for $400 straight from Google (in the US), and it'll get the next version of Android before any other phone except the next Nexus that launches with it.

And until they start actually happening, don't assume you'll get an AOSP build for ANY device, and will just be able to root and flash AOSP.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

If the S3 meets your desires in a phone then get it. If not, then wait for something that does. Simple as that. The problems come when a phone comes out that you do like and does meet your desires but you still wait for something "better" (that's when you fall into the always waiting for something better trap).

Hate Touchwiz? Give it a few days, weeks even month or two if it even takes that long after its released and CM team will have a AOSP build ready to flash...

Latest update... Well as we've already seen happen with the GNex and its older siblings you can't depend on NOTHING anymore when it comes to getting the next latest and greatest OS updates...
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

ikeywatson likes this.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,883 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    Hate Touchwiz? Give it a few days, weeks even month or two if it even takes that long after its released and CM team will have a AOSP build ready to flash...

Latest update... Well as we've already seen happen with the GNex and its older siblings you can't depend on NOTHING anymore when it comes to getting the next latest and greatest OS updates...
    If you get the one straight from Google I bet the odds go up considerably on that.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

Getting a little ahead of yourself, I mean the GSIII is still unknown aside from rumors and we have no idea what the delivery date might be...we may see it in 2-3 weeks or it might be 2-3 months.

Add in waiting for a phone that has not even been mentioned yet? Of course there will be a new Nexus in time but again when? A year? Who knows.

I would suggest you wait until later this week when the new Galaxy is announced and then determine what your needs and wants are. Most often you are best not to wait as there is always a better phone...by the time you get the Galaxy you will want the new Nexus and by then a GS4 will be in the works lol.

Global Posts
    1,857 Global Posts
    ROM
    TeamSonicFreeGS3 v9.1

Is the ICS version of Touch Wiz even out? If so, you think Phil would want to do another review like he did for HTC Sense 4? Because until then Im convinced its not for me. Who knows though I might actually like TW4.0

Global Posts
    91 Global Posts

The Nexus wont be coming out for at least 6-7 months. Why wait when you can grab the latest and greatest real soon? The Nexus, judging by past releases, isn't going to overly "wow" anybody. The GS3 is the best bet IMO. And I own a Galaxy Nexus.

I've heard a lot of people here give solid advice in that you get the S III now and sell it to buy the new one when it comes out if it's that huge of upgrade.

Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod

if you are on verizon I'd wait for the GS3 because the GN price off contract is way too high at this point. if you are on ATT or T-mobile I'd grab a GN from Google in a heart beat. Then have the freedom to buy the next new device down the road.

I would go with the GS3

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Tkbredx View Post
    Get the S3, If the latest leaks of the S3 are true than the phone has a lot of hardware build similarities to the Nexus. As for the software, well you can always root to get ICS stock and possibly even use an app to download the vanilla experience. Im not sure how to put stock ICS on the S3 but when I get it I probably will too.
    Is there really an app that can give you the vanilla ics experience?

Quote Originally Posted by xxslashxxdroid View Post
    The Nexus wont be coming out for at least 6-7 months. Why wait when you can grab the latest and greatest real soon? The Nexus, judging by past releases, isn't going to overly "wow" anybody. The GS3 is the best bet IMO. And I own a Galaxy Nexus.
    This is very true. The Galaxy S2 had better hardware than the Galaxy Nexus. Nexus phones usually don't wow people with their hardware. It's stock Android and somewhat timely updates that draw people to a Nexus phone.

Global Posts
    1,857 Global Posts
    ROM
    TeamSonicFreeGS3 v9.1

Quote Originally Posted by klassik891 View Post
    Is there really an app that can give you the vanilla ics experience?
    Heres a video of the stock ICS experience on an international S2 running 4.03

This is Apex launcher. There are many other launchers with ICS themes, the other more competitive version being NovaLauncher but there are other good ones like ADW launcher and Go Launcher and even Launcher Pro.