S4 benchmarks look promising.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

UCLA 15

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
The S4 is looking very good indeed. What it all comes down to is real world performance and smoothness, and it seems like the S4 is at least Tegra 3's match for that. Also, the GS3 will be running much slimmer software than the One X, so if the S4 can make a Sense 4.0 device effortlessly smooth, it should definitely be more than adequate powering a device that has better software optimization (I'm not saying anything about TW being better than Sense, just that it is much lighter and snappier).

snoopyandroid

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Also, the GS3 will be running much slimmer software than the One X.

No offence, but how did you come up with this statement. We know nothing about what the S3 will be running.

so if the S4 can make a Sense 4.0 device effortlessly smooth, it should definitely be more than adequate powering a device that has better software optimization (I'm not saying anything about TW being better than Sense, just that it is much lighter and snappier).

Again, unless you've used the new Sense 4 AND the new TW, you can't really make this statement. TW might have had better software optimization over Sense 3, but we don't know anything about the new TW. It may be worse that Sense 4 or it may not even change, Samsung may put in the older TW with a few tweaks as opposed to a complete overhaul like Sense 4.

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Just keep in mind other factors.

1. Multiple setups complicate software updates and upgrades, and introduce issues due to those differences.

2. See my thread about the image processing. May see differences in quality.

3. Makes US version too close to other already available phones, if rumors are true.
Hard for me to personally justify the upgrade from Skyrocket, if it isn't more advanced than those phones.

I am not saying the SGS3 wouldn't be my choice over the One X. I do not care much for HTC. Ill wait for the real info before I make up my mind, but maybe I wait for later and get a Note 2 or an updated SGS3( SGS3 Skyrocket?)

UCLA 15

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
No offence, but how did you come up with this statement. We know nothing about what the S3 will be running.

Again, unless you've used the new Sense 4 AND the new TW, you can't really make this statement. TW might have had better software optimization over Sense 3, but we don't know anything about the new TW. It may be worse that Sense 4 or it may not even change, Samsung may put in the older TW with a few tweaks as opposed to a complete overhaul like Sense 4.

My statement is based on the historical trend. Sense is notoriously piggish and slow. I am using a Sense 4.0 ROM on my Sensation right now, and even though it's a big improvement over previous versions, it can still get bogged down a lot. Historically, TW has been much slighter and faster than Sense. It's clear that Samsung's approach to their skin is much different than HTC's-HTC has been about the visual flair and only recently has begun to focus on speed, while Samsung has had a very quick skin that doesn't slow the device down. If you ask me, this is because Samsung takes more of an Apple approach and understands that the responsiveness of the device plays a large role in the user experience.

You're right, I don't know what the GS3 will have, I'm just speculating. But isn't that basically everything we're doing in this forum until the 3rd?

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Mannyz28 you realize that the tegra 3 benchmark numbers in nenamark and linpack are very close to a dual core exynos while the quadrant numbers on the S4 is similar to what a dual core exynos puts out. So while its impressive, I'm still not blown away by those numbers. I'm sure when Samsung finally announces the quadcore exynos we will be thoroughly impressed only to be sad when we know we have to have settle for the S4 chip.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Mannyz28 you realize that the tegra 3 benchmark numbers in nenamark and linpack are very close to a dual core exynos while the quadrant numbers on the S4 is similar to what a dual core exynos puts out. So while its impressive, I'm still not blown away by those numbers. I'm sure when Samsung finally announces the quadcore exynos we will be thoroughly impressed only to be sad when we know we have to have settle for the S4 chip.

You also realize that screen resolution has A LOT to do with that, right? Put a dual-core Exynos in a high-res screen and see what the result is. Quadrant was around 4400 on the Exynos powered Note.

ANTUTU was around 6500, which isn't even close to the Transformer Prime (same resolution, too).

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
You also realize that screen resolution has A LOT to do with that, right? Put a dual-core Exynos in a high-res screen and see what the result is. Quadrant was around 4400 on the Exynos powered Note.

ANTUTU was around 6500, which isn't even close to the Transformer Prime (same resolution, too).

4400 is pretty close to 5000 esp on hardware that is over one year old. I'm just amazed that is exynos can even put up numbers close to what a quad core can. I just hope Samsung can keep this trend of making processors that is practically a whole Gen ahead of its competition since the original galaxy s

I would also like to mention that the gs2 and the note runs on a lower clock speed. The note also has a higher resolution screen than the one x. If you raise the clock speed to 1.5 ghz and lower the Res from 800p to 720p I'm sure the results will be closer than one would expect from hardware that is as old as the exynos.

Last edited:

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Bahhhh. S4 = no buy from me :( been holding off on buying a phone for months, and now this. Tomorrow better deliver some good news.

S4 in SGS3 = why buy SGS3 when you can buy an HTC phone and get a better experience. Sense > Touchwiz anyday.

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Bahhhh. S4 = no buy from me :( been holding off on buying a phone for months, and now this. Tomorrow better deliver some good news.

S4 in SGS3 = why buy SGS3 when you can buy an HTC phone and get a better experience. Sense > Touchwiz anyday.

Can't answer that question until tomorrow when we know the specs...but I can start by saying HTC one X has only 10-12GB useable storage space...hard not to beat that! Oh and of course it's not really fair to say Sense 4.0 > Touchwiz when we don't know what Samsung will do with it...

I don't really see why you're down on the S4 it's pretty much the best SoC available right now...you'll have to wait for something better and then something even better will be on the horizon...that whole tech cycle thing you know!

snoopyandroid

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

Ya dude, wait until tomorrow. If it doesn't meet your expectations, then buy something else. I'm the same, if it misses by too much, then I'm HTC One X bound.

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Lot of arguing here. But I'll say my piece and leave it at that.

If the S4 and it's LTE compatibility equals a high chance of Verizon getting it, then I'm gonna be very happy!

Again, quad core means nothing. As long as the processor inside can keep the phone running smoothly over the course of the two year agreement, it's fine by me.

I personally upgrade as often as possible, got three phones on my account that have different activation dates, so I can upgrade every year if I'd like.

I wish Android users could be more like iOS users in this regard.

And more importantly, why aren't we talking about the GPU?

Apples quad core GPU is what Android OEMs need to match.

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

Carrier is more important than the phone. And the S4 is easily the best cpu on a mobile phone and will remain so throughout 2012.

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Admittedly, if there's a weakness in the S4 it's obviously the GPU - Adreno 225. It's no slouch but it's not nearly as advanced as the CPU (Krait) is. There's little hope in getting the S4 Pro this early in the year but we can still hope...same processor but includes an Adreno 3xx.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

Even if the GS3 specs are better? You can always change the software with roots, apps, and stuff but you cant change the hardware. Plus TW cant be that bad, especially with ICS. Give it a chance.