Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes
    CrackBerry Convert

Global Posts
    3,241 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Goldeneye 4.0 + CWM OUDHS

Default Re: Its a software release, hardware is dissapointing

Quote Originally Posted by Droid800 View Post
    Duh. Actually read the post I was quoting though.

The lens is the same. The sensor may be new, but the optics (the parts that have a huge impact on quality) are the same. Some SIII/One X picture comparisons were posted in the One X forum; the SIII looks identical to the SII, and totally subpar when compared to the One X.

Oh and just for a spec comparison: the One X has an f/2.0 lens, while the SIII has an f/2.6. That alone makes the SIII camera woefully inferior to the One X.
    Ok my bad on the storage semantics above but I'm not sure how you are aboslutely 100% positive that the USA SIII will have 16GB with no other options available.

With regards to the camera, I think the verdict is still out. We haven't even seen a retail SIII unit yet and the One X camera is not perfect either. A good read here:
    xda-developers - View Single Post - Samsung Disappoints & HTC Steals The Show!
    rlb

Global Posts
    313 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Officerpolabear View Post
    Well the AT&T HTC One X isn't the only One X variant. You're forgetting Sprint's HTC Evo 4G LTE, which does include removable storage, bigger battery, and a kickstand to top that all off. So really, the only thing it is missing is the removable battery.
    True. That phone will be what the One X should have been. The only problem is that it is on the Sprint network.

The problem for me is that it is more of a software release then anything. Ethos phone is suppose to compete with the iPhone, but the apple is not going to release the iPhone 5 with just software, there will release great hardware also. That's where in my opinion Samsung messed up. How did they not know that there quad core wouldn't be compatible with lte. They had so much time to address that. Same goes for the camera, display, and build quality.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
    rlb

Global Posts
    313 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by edr1983 View Post
    The problem for me is that it is more of a software release then anything. Ethos phone is suppose to compete with the iPhone, but the apple is not going to release the iPhone 5 with just software, there will release great hardware also. That's where in my opinion Samsung messed up. How did they not know that there quad core wouldn't be compatible with lte. They had so much time to address that. Same goes for the camera, display, and build quality.

How is it just a software release only?

New S4 chip based on the A15 that is currently the fastest chip in the US. It meets or beats the quad cores in most benchmarks.
    New(compared to the S2) higher resolution screen.
    New camera sensor.
    Build quality is said to be very good(this is from people who actually held it).
    As far as Apple goes, they are the kings of "software" releases. Their hardware updated are mediocre at best. Then they have some gimmicky software and call it magical. Compared to Android phones, the iphone will never have the best hardware. It will be good, but not groundbreaking.

Quote Originally Posted by rlb View Post

New S4 chip based on the A15 that is currently the fastest chip in the US. It meets or beats the quad cores in most benchmarks.
    New camera sensor.
    Build quality is said to be very good(this is from people who actually held it).
    As far as Apple goes, they are the kings of "software" releases. Their hardware updated are mediocre at best. Then they have some gimmicky software and call it magical. Compared to Android phones, the iphone will never have the best hardware. It will be good, but not groundbreaking.
    Meaning the only thing Samsung promoted was software. Svoice, buddy share, live view, music hub, eye tracking and calling a contact by picking up the phone etc etc. all if which will be put into a ROM for the galaxy s2 a week after release. camera has a new sensor, but optics still such and are generic. The sample photos in a other topic show they are horrible compared to the onex. display is pentile not amoled+, and the S4 is nice, but used by default because the exynos quad core is not lte compatible. And while some people say it feels nice, there are equal number of people who say the phone feels cheap.

Global Posts
    903 Global Posts
    Carrier
    AOKP JB

Meaning the only thing Samsung promoted was software. Svoice, buddy share, live view, and calling a contact by picking up the phone etc etc. camera has a new sensor, but optics still such and are generic. The sample photos in a other topic show they are horrible compared to the onex. display is pentile not amoled+, and the w8 is nice, but used by default because the exynos quad core is not lte compatible. And while some people say it feels nice, there are equal number of people who say the phone feels cheap.
    Well it is an upgrade... from the SGS2. Honestly, this phone just had bad luck. It managed to be released after HD SAMOLED screens and before HD SAMOLED+ screens are even being made. Also with their SoC. They're releasing the SGS3 with the quad-core Exynos when the Exynos 5250 is only a couple months down the road (although, only for tablets I should mention). However, it is still a huge upgrade from the SGS2. Bigger and higher res screen, thinner, bigger battery, more storage (if you have the 64GB version), new design (like it or not), faster SoC, ICS, and possibly a better camera.

I think the timing of this phone is mainly to do with that samsung feel they can release a not so upgraded phone yet still sell millions because of the olympics around the corner... Thats all the adverts you will see during the breaks trust me... People looking for upgrades (those who are not to familiar with the galaxy phone)... Will b sure to do a quick search about it to find out more and maybe end up getting it... And also thr other is that they want these extra months to sway people on to their phone before the new ifone hits which is obviously gonna sell to existing apple customers and everyone else who wants to jump on hype without even researching... You cannot challenege the ifone directly yet... Maybe next year

Delete post :banghead:
    rlb

Global Posts
    313 Global Posts

Meaning the only thing Samsung promoted was software. Svoice, buddy share, live view, music hub, eye tracking and calling a contact by picking up the phone etc etc. all if which will be put into a ROM for the galaxy s2 a week after release. camera has a new sensor, but optics still such and are generic. The sample photos in a other topic show they are horrible compared to the onex. display is pentile not amoled+, and the S4 is nice, but used by default because the exynos quad core is not lte compatible. And while some people say it feels nice, there are equal number of people who say the phone feels cheap.
    Agree 100% with Sammy mostly promoting the software. Now days hardware is all pretty much the same so I guess from a marketing point they felt highlighting all the software features would be better to differentiate themselves from others and thus sell more phones. To the average consumer of course. Those sample photos of the S3 are just one set. The phone is not even released yet so I'll bet the firmware/software for the camera is not finalized. There is another set of pictures showing that the S3 takes better photos than the S2 and GNote, which in turn take better photos than the One X. So we won't really know until the phone is actually released. The pentile argument is old and worthless. Plenty of reviews show that at this resolution and ppi, the pentile display will not be a problem. Will it be as good as the One X? Probably not, but in the real world they will be pretty darn close. And with amoleds much better contrast and blacks, it will be better for alot of people. How can anyone know it the S3 feels cheap? Only a few people have actually held one. There are going to be people who think both the One X and S3 feel cheap and some who think they feel great. The fact is, both are plastic(polycarbonate). Design wise, they are both rectangular with rounded corners. There aren't to many ways to differentiate that except in the minor details.

I like both phones and will get one of them. Which one, I don't know. I will wait to actually see and play around with them as well as get some feedback from people who have as well.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #35  

Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Carrier
    stock Galaxy S3

What Samsung is trying to do is quite brave. Phones should not sell base don specs, yet this is what Android has come to. If the GS2 gives a superior user experience, and we will find out when the reviews come out if the new features are gimmicks or work well, then its a better phone, no matter if it has X feature or not.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by rlb View Post

New camera sensor.
    And yet Android manufacturers have JUST now caught up with Apple build quality/in-hand feel wise, and took over a year to catch up with them in terms of screen density. Yeah, that's some 'mediocre' hardware.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #37  

Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Carrier
    stock Galaxy S3

Is this the same 'Apple build quality' that shatters glass phones, has terrible reception due to bad design (which they lied about and refused to admit)?

Higher ppi is easy when you have a tiny 3.5" screen. The only thing Apple does well is looks and marketing.

Global Posts
    2,123 Global Posts
    Carrier
    TeamSonicFreeGS3 v9.1

I wouldnt say the hardware is disappointing.

1) We all basically knew what to expect based on the rumors, most of them were correct.
    2) We fail to realize this phone is one of the best if not the best phone on the market.
    3) Nothing has ever been wrong with Samsungs hardware. A lot of people are just turned off by Touch Wiz which they improved majorly with the features. I think this is just the phone they need. I rather the better software than having specs on steroids.

Quote Originally Posted by ECrispy View Post
    Is this the same 'Apple build quality' that shatters glass phones, has terrible reception due to bad design (which they lied about and refused to admit)?

Higher ppi is easy when you have a tiny 3.5" screen. The only thing Apple does well is looks and marketing.
    So apple couldn't pull off a higher ppi on a 4 inch out 4.6 inch iPhone?? They have retina in the iPad, that's a little bit bigger than 3.5 wouldn't you agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Tkbredx View Post
    I wouldnt say the hardware is disappointing.

1) We all basically knew what to expect based on the rumors, most of them were correct.
    2) We fail to realize this phone is one of the best if not the best phone on the market.
    3) Nothing has ever been wrong with Samsungs hardware. A lot of people are just turned off by Touch Wiz which they improved majorly with the features. I think this is just the phone they need. I rather the better software than having specs on steroids.
    I agree, the main reason people are disappointed is because this phone does not blow the HTC One X out of the water as many wanted it to. Fact is the One X is a little ahead of it's time so to speak......and the GSIII will also be a great phone.

The reason we continue to see only incremental upgrades instead of evolutionary upgrades is because the carriers and manufacturers know you'll keep spending.
    Complain with your wallet for once and stop trying to be the cool kid with the newest phone.
    I made my last mistake on this 3vo. I won't buy again until there's a phone that can keep a signal AND has the latest technology.
    How about we focus on being able to actually make calls and not drop them? Sprint needs to just count their losses and give up. I've lived in three different states over 1000 miles separated and my service continues to suck.
    I'm a little more interested in that than the endless overhype and let down of the next device.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    4,623 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

So apple couldn't pull off a higher ppi on a 4 inch out 4.6 inch iPhone?? They have retina in the iPad, that's a little bit bigger than 3.5 wouldn't you agree.

The new iPad has a rating of only 264 ppi, due to its large size of course. And yes, they bragged about the whole Retina Display when the iPhone 4 came out, and yes, they probably kept that size to have the first Retina Display in the industry. Come to think of it, all Apple mobile products are touted as being the best device to consume media on, makes you wonder why all 3 of their most successful products are stuck on a rather weird 1.5:1 aspect ratio widescreen. For comparison, real widescreen, as I call it, for your average regualr widescreen movie is 1.85:1 while super widescreen for all your big blockbuster movies is 2.35:1. That leaves the iPhone users with some nice black bars on their already tiny screens, and really big black bars on the iPad, even with movies filmed in 1.85:1 that will fill out our displays perfectly. Apple hasn't learned. They started with 240 x 320 and just doubled it for the iPhone 4, and they did the same thing with the ipad. I hear they did it to keep compatibility with resolution for apps as simple as possible.

Anyways, I don't quite understand all the complaints about the GS3. It's an upgrade in every way shape or form over the GS2. Bigger screen, much higher resolution, faster processor, and (to me) much better looks. People (including myself at times) tend to focus too much on what's under the hood so they can magazine race with their friends who have other phones. "My screen is 0.1" bigger than you're small screen!", "I get 200 points more in quadrant, and check out my sun spider and browsermark". Geez. Point is, Samsung delivered where they needed to, it's an upgrade in every way. Yes, we didn't get the A15 based Exynos....but you know full and well we will with the next phone, as of right now, there really is no point it in putting it into the GS3, it's just fast enough as it is. Do we need a 1000 hp car? Bugatti thought so....and some people use it all.....on a race track! There are no games or apps out right now that challenge the GS2, whether it has a 4410 or S3 under the hood, so all that added performance is lost in the day to day user experience anyhow, we'll never feel it unless we run a benchmark, and who does that on a regular basis?

Naturally business also has something to do with it. You can't sell the public a phone with the absolute cutting edge components and expect them to come back next year for the next phone that might not be so much faster. I think that's what happened with the GS2. Of all the devices of last year, the GS2 was the one that blew everyones mind and provided the fastest and smoothest user experience ever. The Evo 3d was slow and choppy, especially with a live wallpaper going, and the Tegra 2 devices seemed just as slow. It was a huge step forward and everyone expected a similar leap. In the videos you see people playing with the GS3 and it's fast and doesn't miss a beat no matter what you ask it to do, and people are still disappointed...what did you expect? A pull out screen? A hologram? And the design complaints...remember the Pontiac Aztec? It had a built in tent! Pontiac thought outside the box....and they never did that again because they went belly up. How brave do you want a handset maker to be? What is it exactly that you would change on the GS3 to make it look better? Make it more square again like the GS2? maybe add some glass to the back and stainless steel....oh wait...that's been done (even had the built in "I don't want to talk to you anymore feature", all you had to do is hold it in your left hand).

:-)
    Tkbredx likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    The new iPad has a rating of only 264 ppi, due to its large size of course. And yes, they bragged about the whole Retina Display when the iPhone 4 came out, and yes, they probably kept that size to have the first Retina Display in the industry. Come to think of it, all Apple mobile products are touted as being the best device to consume media on, makes you wonder why all 3 of their most successful products are stuck on a rather weird 1.5:1 aspect ratio widescreen. For comparison, real widescreen, as I call it, for your average regualr widescreen movie is 1.85:1 while super widescreen for all your big blockbuster movies is 2.35:1. That leaves the iPhone users with some nice black bars on their already tiny screens, and really big black bars on the iPad, even with movies filmed in 1.85:1 that will fill out our displays perfectly. Apple hasn't learned. They started with 240 x 320 and just doubled it for the iPhone 4, and they did the same thing with the ipad. I hear they did it to keep compatibility with resolution for apps as simple as possible.

Anyways, I don't quite understand all the complaints about the GS3. It's an upgrade in every way shape or form over the GS2. Bigger screen, much higher resolution, faster processor, and (to me) much better looks. People (including myself at times) tend to focus too much on what's under the hood so they can magazine race with their friends who have other phones. "My screen is 0.1" bigger than you're small screen!", "I get 200 points more in quadrant, and check out my sun spider and browsermark". Geez. Point is, Samsung delivered where they needed to, it's an upgrade in every way. Yes, we didn't get the A15 based Exynos....but you know full and well we will with the next phone, as of right now, there really is no point it in putting it into the GS3, it's just fast enough as it is. Do we need a 1000 hp car? Bugatti thought so....and some people use it all.....on a race track! There are no games or apps out right now that challenge the GS2, whether it has a 4410 or S3 under the hood, so all that added performance is lost in the day to day user experience anyhow, we'll never feel it unless we run a benchmark, and who does that on a regular basis?

Naturally business also has something to do with it. You can't sell the public a phone with the absolute cutting edge components and expect them to come back next year for the next phone that might not be so much faster. I think that's what happened with the GS2. Of all the devices of last year, the GS2 was the one that blew everyones mind and provided the fastest and smoothest user experience ever. The Evo 3d was slow and choppy, especially with a live wallpaper going, and the Tegra 2 devices seemed just as slow. It was a huge step forward and everyone expected a similar leap. In the videos you see people playing with the GS3 and it's fast and doesn't miss a beat no matter what you ask it to do, and people are still disappointed...what did you expect? A pull out screen? A hologram? And the design complaints...remember the Pontiac Aztec? It had a built in tent! Pontiac thought outside the box....and they never did that again because they went belly up. How brave do you want a handset maker to be? What is it exactly that you would change on the GS3 to make it look better? Make it more square again like the GS2? maybe add some glass to the back and stainless steel....oh wait...that's been done (even had the built in "I don't want to talk to you anymore feature", all you had to do is hold it in your left hand).

:-)
    I like tacos

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12