Its a software release, hardware is dissapointing

rlb

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
The S3 does not win on internal storage. You won't see one in the us with more than 16gb. Is wireless charging standard or is it another expense? If its the latter, it is not an advantage.

The one x camera IS better than the S3's because the S3's is the same optics as the S2 with some software additions. The one x's camera is just plain better, period.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

You don't know what we will see in the US for storage options. Even so, it still has removable storage for those who may need it.

Of course for wireless charging you will have to buy the charging station. So it is an advantage since you don't have to buy a stick on device or replace the back. Personally I don't care about it but some do.

As for the camera, the S3 is supposedly using a brand new sensor, not the same one as the S2. I can't find the link now but I know I read this somewhere. Again, you don't really know how good or bad the S3 camera is since it is not out yet. Yes, the One X camera is excellent, so the S3 will have a tough time beating it. But we will have to see to make a fair evaluation.

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
The S3 does not win on internal storage. You won't see one in the us with more than 16gb. Is wireless charging standard or is it another expense? If its the latter, it is not an advantage.

The one x camera IS better than the S3's because the S3's is the same optics as the S2 with some software additions. The one x's camera is just plain better, period.

Even if they both have 16GB...the S3 has a MicroSD to add another 64GB...the One X is stuck at 16GB (10GB, actually).

According to Anandtech, the camera hardware is new:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii/171491-camera-details.html

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Even if they both have 16GB...the S3 has a MicroSD to add another 64GB...the One X is stuck at 16GB (10GB, actually).

Duh. Actually read the post I was quoting though.

The lens is the same. The sensor may be new, but the optics (the parts that have a huge impact on quality) are the same. Some SIII/One X picture comparisons were posted in the One X forum; the SIII looks identical to the SII, and totally subpar when compared to the One X.

Oh and just for a spec comparison: the One X has an f/2.0 lens, while the SIII has an f/2.6. That alone makes the SIII camera woefully inferior to the One X.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
You don't know what we will see in the US for storage options. Even so, it still has removable storage for those who may need it.

Of course for wireless charging you will have to buy the charging station. So it is an advantage since you don't have to buy a stick on device or replace the back. Personally I don't care about it but some do.

As for the camera, the S3 is supposedly using a brand new sensor, not the same one as the S2. I can't find the link now but I know I read this somewhere. Again, you don't really know how good or bad the S3 camera is since it is not out yet. Yes, the One X camera is excellent, so the S3 will have a tough time beating it. But we will have to see to make a fair evaluation.

Well the AT&T HTC One X isn't the only One X variant. You're forgetting Sprint's HTC Evo 4G LTE, which does include removable storage, bigger battery, and a kickstand to top that all off. So really, the only thing it is missing is the removable battery.

WolvesWR18

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Many many others have not seen the new screen on the GSIII. They have not tried the new EXCLUSIVE software features. They have not felt or seen the new polycarbonate material (ONE X is polycarbonate too).
Seeing how it seems to be dominating in benchmarks (yes, realworld is king) I don't see what they could be basing their opinion on.

If you have a One X or plan on getting one, great for you. Sure it will be good.
But stop acting like a fanboy and trashing the SGSIII for nonsensical reasons.

Not sure if I get one or not. I want to see it in person, compare it side by side with the One X. Not getting the HTC (removable battery and expandable storage a must,personally).

EDIT: not to imply Wolve is a fanboy, just referring to many bashing the GSIII that are
May wait for something else.

No offense taken. Im no fanboy. Currently on the GSII. I just go with the best product available each year, and I believe this year the X One is the clear winner.

Samsung focused on software this year and it seems they took Touchwiz to a whole new level of ugly looks wise. The new software also seem like gimmicks or Apple copycat attempts, except for wireless charging. That may end being a big plus.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Duh. Actually read the post I was quoting though.

The lens is the same. The sensor may be new, but the optics (the parts that have a huge impact on quality) are the same. Some SIII/One X picture comparisons were posted in the One X forum; the SIII looks identical to the SII, and totally subpar when compared to the One X.

Oh and just for a spec comparison: the One X has an f/2.0 lens, while the SIII has an f/2.6. That alone makes the SIII camera woefully inferior to the One X.

Ok my bad on the storage semantics above but I'm not sure how you are aboslutely 100% positive that the USA SIII will have 16GB with no other options available.

With regards to the camera, I think the verdict is still out. We haven't even seen a retail SIII unit yet and the One X camera is not perfect either. A good read here:
xda-developers - View Single Post - Samsung Disappoints & HTC Steals The Show!

rlb

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Well the AT&T HTC One X isn't the only One X variant. You're forgetting Sprint's HTC Evo 4G LTE, which does include removable storage, bigger battery, and a kickstand to top that all off. So really, the only thing it is missing is the removable battery.

True. That phone will be what the One X should have been. The only problem is that it is on the Sprint network. :)

anon(43926)

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
The problem for me is that it is more of a software release then anything. Ethos phone is suppose to compete with the iPhone, but the apple is not going to release the iPhone 5 with just software, there will release great hardware also. That's where in my opinion Samsung messed up. How did they not know that there quad core wouldn't be compatible with lte. They had so much time to address that. Same goes for the camera, display, and build quality.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rlb

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
The problem for me is that it is more of a software release then anything. Ethos phone is suppose to compete with the iPhone, but the apple is not going to release the iPhone 5 with just software, there will release great hardware also. That's where in my opinion Samsung messed up. How did they not know that there quad core wouldn't be compatible with lte. They had so much time to address that. Same goes for the camera, display, and build quality.

How is it just a software release only?

New S4 chip based on the A15 that is currently the fastest chip in the US. It meets or beats the quad cores in most benchmarks.
New(compared to the S2) higher resolution screen.
New camera sensor.
Build quality is said to be very good(this is from people who actually held it).
As far as Apple goes, they are the kings of "software" releases. Their hardware updated are mediocre at best. Then they have some gimmicky software and call it magical. Compared to Android phones, the iphone will never have the best hardware. It will be good, but not groundbreaking.

anon(43926)

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site

New S4 chip based on the A15 that is currently the fastest chip in the US. It meets or beats the quad cores in most benchmarks.
New camera sensor.
Build quality is said to be very good(this is from people who actually held it).
As far as Apple goes, they are the kings of "software" releases. Their hardware updated are mediocre at best. Then they have some gimmicky software and call it magical. Compared to Android phones, the iphone will never have the best hardware. It will be good, but not groundbreaking.

Meaning the only thing Samsung promoted was software. Svoice, buddy share, live view, music hub, eye tracking and calling a contact by picking up the phone etc etc. all if which will be put into a ROM for the galaxy s2 a week after release. camera has a new sensor, but optics still such and are generic. The sample photos in a other topic show they are horrible compared to the onex. display is pentile not amoled+, and the S4 is nice, but used by default because the exynos quad core is not lte compatible. And while some people say it feels nice, there are equal number of people who say the phone feels cheap.

Last edited:

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Meaning the only thing Samsung promoted was software. Svoice, buddy share, live view, and calling a contact by picking up the phone etc etc. camera has a new sensor, but optics still such and are generic. The sample photos in a other topic show they are horrible compared to the onex. display is pentile not amoled+, and the w8 is nice, but used by default because the exynos quad core is not lte compatible. And while some people say it feels nice, there are equal number of people who say the phone feels cheap.

Well it is an upgrade... from the SGS2. Honestly, this phone just had bad luck. It managed to be released after HD SAMOLED screens and before HD SAMOLED+ screens are even being made. Also with their SoC. They're releasing the SGS3 with the quad-core Exynos when the Exynos 5250 is only a couple months down the road (although, only for tablets I should mention). However, it is still a huge upgrade from the SGS2. Bigger and higher res screen, thinner, bigger battery, more storage (if you have the 64GB version), new design (like it or not), faster SoC, ICS, and possibly a better camera.

BEARD GANG

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I think the timing of this phone is mainly to do with that samsung feel they can release a not so upgraded phone yet still sell millions because of the olympics around the corner... Thats all the adverts you will see during the breaks trust me... People looking for upgrades (those who are not to familiar with the galaxy phone)... Will b sure to do a quick search about it to find out more and maybe end up getting it... And also thr other is that they want these extra months to sway people on to their phone before the new ifone hits which is obviously gonna sell to existing apple customers and everyone else who wants to jump on hype without even researching... You cannot challenege the ifone directly yet... Maybe next year

rlb

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Meaning the only thing Samsung promoted was software. Svoice, buddy share, live view, music hub, eye tracking and calling a contact by picking up the phone etc etc. all if which will be put into a ROM for the galaxy s2 a week after release. camera has a new sensor, but optics still such and are generic. The sample photos in a other topic show they are horrible compared to the onex. display is pentile not amoled+, and the S4 is nice, but used by default because the exynos quad core is not lte compatible. And while some people say it feels nice, there are equal number of people who say the phone feels cheap.

Agree 100% with Sammy mostly promoting the software. Now days hardware is all pretty much the same so I guess from a marketing point they felt highlighting all the software features would be better to differentiate themselves from others and thus sell more phones. To the average consumer of course. Those sample photos of the S3 are just one set. The phone is not even released yet so I'll bet the firmware/software for the camera is not finalized. There is another set of pictures showing that the S3 takes better photos than the S2 and GNote, which in turn take better photos than the One X. So we won't really know until the phone is actually released. The pentile argument is old and worthless. Plenty of reviews show that at this resolution and ppi, the pentile display will not be a problem. Will it be as good as the One X? Probably not, but in the real world they will be pretty darn close. And with amoleds much better contrast and blacks, it will be better for alot of people. How can anyone know it the S3 feels cheap? Only a few people have actually held one. There are going to be people who think both the One X and S3 feel cheap and some who think they feel great. The fact is, both are plastic(polycarbonate). Design wise, they are both rectangular with rounded corners. There aren't to many ways to differentiate that except in the minor details.

I like both phones and will get one of them. Which one, I don't know. I will wait to actually see and play around with them as well as get some feedback from people who have as well.

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
What Samsung is trying to do is quite brave. Phones should not sell base don specs, yet this is what Android has come to. If the GS2 gives a superior user experience, and we will find out when the reviews come out if the new features are gimmicks or work well, then its a better phone, no matter if it has X feature or not.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

New camera sensor.

And yet Android manufacturers have JUST now caught up with Apple build quality/in-hand feel wise, and took over a year to catch up with them in terms of screen density. Yeah, that's some 'mediocre' hardware.

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Is this the same 'Apple build quality' that shatters glass phones, has terrible reception due to bad design (which they lied about and refused to admit)?

Higher ppi is easy when you have a tiny 3.5" screen. The only thing Apple does well is looks and marketing.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I wouldnt say the hardware is disappointing.

1) We all basically knew what to expect based on the rumors, most of them were correct.
2) We fail to realize this phone is one of the best if not the best phone on the market.
3) Nothing has ever been wrong with Samsungs hardware. A lot of people are just turned off by Touch Wiz which they improved majorly with the features. I think this is just the phone they need. I rather the better software than having specs on steroids.

anon(43926)

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Is this the same 'Apple build quality' that shatters glass phones, has terrible reception due to bad design (which they lied about and refused to admit)?

Higher ppi is easy when you have a tiny 3.5" screen. The only thing Apple does well is looks and marketing.

So apple couldn't pull off a higher ppi on a 4 inch out 4.6 inch iPhone?? They have retina in the iPad, that's a little bit bigger than 3.5 wouldn't you agree.

MrSlippery519

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I wouldnt say the hardware is disappointing.

1) We all basically knew what to expect based on the rumors, most of them were correct.
2) We fail to realize this phone is one of the best if not the best phone on the market.
3) Nothing has ever been wrong with Samsungs hardware. A lot of people are just turned off by Touch Wiz which they improved majorly with the features. I think this is just the phone they need. I rather the better software than having specs on steroids.

I agree, the main reason people are disappointed is because this phone does not blow the HTC One X out of the water as many wanted it to. Fact is the One X is a little ahead of it's time so to speak......and the GSIII will also be a great phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke