Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Rooted AOSP JB on all

Default Notification LED

This is an exciting feature (in my opinion) that a lot of blogs have seemed to gloss over. There is an RGB notification LED on the SGS3 (unlike the first and second). Supposedly a very good one. Not the biggest news in the world, but good to hear none the less.

CrackBerry Convert

Global Posts
    3,236 Global Posts
    ROM
    Goldeneye 4.0 + CWM OUDHS

Default Re: Notification LED

Coming from BlackBerry that's going to be a big deal for me!

Yes, a very big deal to Blackberry users.

I agree, this small detail is actually pretty awesome for a lot of folks. I had blackberry for years, and my last two phones have been Samsung without this feature. I actually do miss the LED notification.

But I am pretty sure the SGSII does have LED notication. I'm glad they kept it with the new design.

Quote Originally Posted by lpt2569 View Post
    I agree, this small detail is actually pretty awesome for a lot of folks. I had blackberry for years, and my last two phones have been Samsung without this feature. I actually do miss the LED notification.

But I am pretty sure the SGSII does have LED notication. I'm glad they kept it with the new design.

I had the ATT SGSII and then the Skyrocket. Neither had LED notification

Unlocked UK version of Galaxy SII did not have an LED notification either.
    Michael
    Samsung Galaxy S2 (stock)
    Avatar by Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

Quote Originally Posted by LazrRocketArm View Post
    I had the ATT SGSII and then the Skyrocket. Neither had LED notification
    The Sprint GSII E4G Touch (longest phone name in history!) has the LED notification. A buddy of mine here at work has one, I just checked to be sure! I guess that was the only one that did. Weird...but good for Sprint keeping that feature.

The Sprint GSII E4G Touch (longest phone name in history!) has the LED notification. A buddy of mine here at work has one, I just checked to be sure! I guess that was the only one that did. Weird...but good for Sprint keeping that feature.
    ^^^ He's right, Sprint only one.
    CrackBerry Convert

Global Posts
    3,236 Global Posts
    ROM
    Goldeneye 4.0 + CWM OUDHS

There are many reasons for my impending switch to Android from BlackBerry - however there are things I will miss if I can't reproduce them as well.

Being able to walk into the room and glance at my BlackBerry and know what type of messages I have waiting and who they're from - simply by looking at the LED from across the room - is very useful to me.

I see no reason for phones not to include a LED notification - you should be able to just disable it if you don't like it.

I must say the hidden LED on the HTC One X is a really nice touch though - not sure it has the same functionality but I love the way it's concealed.
    ptm88 likes this.

Global Posts
    785 Global Posts

hmm I thought T-Mobiles SII had one as well but apparently not. Just the Sprint version.

To mimic others here, yes, it's a big deal to me. LOVE the fact that the GNex has one and while I learned to live without a real notification light on other phones after leaving BB, having this is a huge plus for me.

Quote Originally Posted by LazrRocketArm View Post
    ^^^ He's right, Sprint only one.
    Let's hope this time all the US carriers keep the LED notification.

Nice but the location sucks it should be on top.

Quote Originally Posted by aokusman View Post
    Nice but the location sucks it should be on top.
    Just curious...why would you want it on top? I almost always have my phone flat or in my car cradle, looking at the face of the device. I would not want a notification light on the top edge of the phone, if that's what you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffreii View Post
    Coming from BlackBerry that's going to be a big deal for me!
    Yep....

I use No LED on my Galaxy S which tells you at a glance what kind of messages (email, text, voicemail) and missed phone calls. Not sure if there is a version for S II models.

Just curious...why would you want it on top? I almost always have my phone flat or in my car cradle, looking at the face of the device. I would not want a notification light on the top edge of the phone, if that's what you mean?
    It would be in a position that it could be seen if it was laid flat, or if it was holstered. Like on old phones.

Quote Originally Posted by mty msi View Post
    I use No LED on my Galaxy S which tells you at a glance what kind of messages (email, text, voicemail) and missed phone calls. Not sure if there is a version for S II models.
    I used to use this as well. It is a nice app, but it also is another app on the phone that ends up using battery and memory.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

ROM
    Rooted AOSP JB on all

Sprint seems to do theirs the most different I guess. Same with the SGS1.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffreii View Post
    I must say the hidden LED on the HTC One X is a really nice touch though - not sure it has the same functionality but I love the way it's concealed.
    The concern I have with the HTC light is the fact that nearly every time a review mentions it, it's how difficult the light is to see. If it's anything like my Titan, I can understand what they mean by that. It looks like the SGS3 does it a bit better (or at least bigger). The SGS3 is also pretty concealed. it looks to me like they are basically lighting up a thin point in the plastic basically, to let it shine through. From the same preview:

I can't see it at all when off.

Quote Originally Posted by mty msi View Post
    You don't find any battery drain? NoLED killed my battery, but that was around a year and a half ago. I just use the roms that allow the capacative buttons to light up on notifications. Not as detailed, but it's something.

Hello!!!

First post here. Just signed up because Ive been following sgs3 since yesterday and this is definitely going to be my next device.

I'm coming from a blackberry 9900 and the lacklustre by 10 has made me drool over this device. The LED is one of the best reasons to get this device I feel. A small addition but one of a huge value I think.

Can't wait for 29 may. Hoping the battery life is decent. That would be my only turn off.

P.s. lots of people complain about the looks of the sgs3... Not sure what their smoking because it is honestly really sleek and "pretty". The htc one x is too chunky n square n boring!

I don't use the No LED that frequently, only when I'm not near the phone which isn't that often. I probably use it on average for about 2 hours a day and I recharge the phone afterward. My Captivate has pretty lousy battery life even with the No LED turned off (and the Bluetooth, WiFi & GPS turned off). Much improved battery life is what I'm really looking forward to with the S III, that and 4G/LTE.

The fact that the battery life of the S II & Skyrocket is no better than my Captivate is the reason I didn't upgrade to either (even though I tether and the 4G would have been a great improvement). I was waiting for something that had a major battery life improvement and it would appear the S III & the HTC One X both have it. Looking forward to my S III when available on AT&T.

Quote Originally Posted by Nashstruck View Post
    Hello!!!

First post here. Just signed up because Ive been following sgs3 since yesterday and this is definitely going to be my next device.

I'm coming from a blackberry 9900 and the lacklustre by 10 has made me drool over this device. The LED is one of the best reasons to get this device I feel. A small addition but one of a huge value I think.

Can't wait for 29 may. Hoping the battery life is decent. That would be my only turn off.

P.s. lots of people complain about the looks of the sgs3... Not sure what their smoking because it is honestly really sleek and "pretty". The htc one x is too chunky n square n boring!
    Welcome aboard man! You're going to love Android!
    "Greetings, people. Greetings. Greetings and salutations. What a beautiful day for a ball game. Let's play two!"
    Thanked by:

I'm coming from a BB Bold 9700 as well and I must say emphatically that the LED is definitely an important feature for me after using a blackberry for so many years. It's not a deal breaker if it doesn't have it but I'm certain fellow BB/FormerBB owners can appreciate the inclusion in the S3's design. I need this dang thing to come out already. I'm getting sick of watching my buddies all rock iPhone's and talk about it like its the best thing since sliced bread. Mind you, they all previously came from BB's like me so I'm sure to us anything would be a lot better. This will be my first Android, and I can't wait.
    islandguy808 likes this.

Global Posts
    230 Global Posts

I'm also coming from blackberry.. had a 9000 for 2 years and a 9800 for two.. I'm sad to leave but it was the physical keyboard that really had me staying. Not looking forward to that transition, but the LED is certainly another thing you don't get well anywhere else. Will be nice if you can use it to it's full potential ala BerryBuzz or similar

Talking Re: Notification LED

Quote Originally Posted by drparanoid1 View Post
    I'm coming from a BB Bold 9700 as well and I must say emphatically that the LED is definitely an important feature for me after using a blackberry for so many years. It's not a deal breaker if it doesn't have it but I'm certain fellow BB/FormerBB owners can appreciate the inclusion in the S3's design. I need this dang thing to come out already. I'm getting sick of watching my buddies all rock iPhone's and talk about it like its the best thing since sliced bread. Mind you, they all previously came from BB's like me so I'm sure to us anything would be a lot better. This will be my first Android, and I can't wait.
    Same here!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast