Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

The new nexus is gonna have it all

Global Posts
    4,491 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 designed by lawyers

I can only imagine what it was like in the first discussions regarding the iPhone 4 design. Steve Jobs (may he rest in peace, great man!) probably said....ok...lets throw everyone for a loop...the old phone was round and curvy, everyone loved it. The he took a piece of cardboard, cut it into a rectangular shape and rounded the corners off and threw it on the table. "There you go...done. Put some glass on it, wrap some metal around it and we're good to go! Oh...and tell that guy in Denmark not to say anything about our weird external antenna design!"

And...who would have thought that the introduction of the original iPhone had one very important sentence coming out of Mr. Jobs mouth.... "and oh did we ever patent it!!!"

To me the iPhone has been great hardware innovation at launch, play catch up to add all the other features that other phones already have in later releases.

Someone said that the "iPhone design actually works"...uhm...right...did they forget anything on the GS3? It has a on/off button, it has a volume rocker, all the sensors you want...hey, it even has a notification light...that's kind of important to me and it's something every iPhone has been sorely lacking, with hardly anyone complaining about it because, after all, it is an Apple product, it has to be great!

I could go on and on....
    iPhone4Rocks! likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Small_law View Post
    Yes, things like the Continuum were bad ideas.
    You can say that again. I actually had one and proceeded to show the VZW store manager how bad a design it was and the design created poor functionality. He gave me my choice of any phone in the store to replace the Continuum on the spot.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Tkbredx View Post
    The phone seems wayyy sexier than an iPhone and easier to hold with its curvy-ness.

I think some of those patents are bull though. I cant have a black GS3 because of a stupid Apple patent? Really?
    Uh, no. Apple does not have any trade dress claims (not patents, there's a difference) on black phones

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    1,857 Global Posts
    ROM
    TeamSonicFreeGS3 v9.1

Quote Originally Posted by Droid800 View Post
    Uh, no. Apple does not have any trade dress claims (not patents, there's a difference) on black phones

Ok, how about I say it this way. I dont like the idea of Samsung being somewhat intimidated by a little litigation from Apple for features that I like, such as a black phone.

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

it's apples fault. We're not talking small amounts of litigation, we're talking about potential blocking the sale of the whole EU and U.S. Patent trolling is an offensive sport, like nukes; their is no defense. Google/Samsung/HTC needs to build up the patent arsenal and nuke back harder. If they are able to block the galaxy tab (totally different than the ipad), then anything is possible.

Apple's design kind of lame. Very small 3.5" screen for size of device. Huge waste of front face.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Tkbredx View Post
    Ok, how about I say it this way. I dont like the idea of Samsung being somewhat intimidated by a little litigation from Apple for features that I like, such as a black phone.
    Except apple has not sued them over that. They've sued them over a specific design that violated apples trade dress.

Global Posts
    1,857 Global Posts
    ROM
    TeamSonicFreeGS3 v9.1

Except apple has not sued them over that. They've sued them over a specific design that violated apples trade dress.
    Ok. I was making a simple statement about the article. No need to make a big deal out of it, I shutup, you shutup, we're all happy.

Yeah, that SPECIFIC design was a rectangle with rounded corners. Even though it wasn't the first with that shape.

That design patent describes the Prada...

Its funny though how people say the Galaxy S lines center physical home button is a copy of Apples... even though majority of the slider phones had a circular button dead center, you take away the dpad, the call and end call buttons, and you got the iPhone.

Except when Samsung does a rectangle with nice chrome accents, thats copying the iPhone.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
    That design patent describes the Prada...

Its funny though how people say the Galaxy S lines center physical home button is a copy of Apples... even though majority of the slider phones had a circular button dead center, you take away the dpad, the call and end call buttons, and you got the iPhone.

Except when Samsung does a rectangle with nice chrome accents, thats copying the iPhone.
    Except it actually was.

Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by LazrRocketArm View Post
    Yeah, that SPECIFIC design was a rectangle with rounded corners. Even though it wasn't the first with that shape.
    You apparently don't know anything about the trade dress case. It was the shape of the case, the chrome trim, the home button, and the equidistant centering of the screen on the face. ALL of those together form the trade dress case. (Trade dress is very different than patents, because it is meant to protect a product and company's look, feel, and identity. "It wasn't the first with one of those features" is not a valid defense. )

I'd still buy the galaxy over iphone though... I want a phone that gets a work done, instead of just being a toy.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by ch23k View Post
    I'd still buy the galaxy over iphone though... I want a phone that gets a work done, instead of just being a toy.
    The iPhone still gets work done, it just does it differently than android. iOS is actually pretty great on tablets, but android is better for smart phones. Neither OS or family of products are toys, however

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

ugh, here we go again

Thanks apple

Just because you can speak some legalize doesn't mean you know anything about what is really driving these companies legal based decisions. You don't need to sue someone to threaten legal action. We do not know what goes in the correspondence between these companies legal teams, but we do know some facts. the difference between trade dress and patent is irrelevant. Counties have different legal systems, but the use of $$ weaponized legal power by large corporations basically work the same.

apple is the force behind getting galaxy tab blocked around the world

galaxy s3 took a departure from symmetrical. General consensus is this uglifies the handset. Also, doesn't seem to have logical reasoning behind it since the screen is still rectangular (symmetrical)

the U.S. customs is blocking by htc one x/evo 4g lte for investigation for apple patent infringement.

Steve Job has stated
    "
    'I will spend my last dying breath if I need to, and I will spend every penny of Apple's $40 billion in the bank, to right this wrong,' he said.
    'I'm going to destroy Android, because it's a stolen product. I'm willing to go thermonuclear war on this.'
    "

Actually, the SGSIII is not rectangular. The sides are not flat. That is one of the features specifically said to be "designed by lawyers".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by bob13bob View Post
    ugh, here we go again

Thanks apple

Just because you can speak some legalize doesn't mean you know anything about what is really driving these companies legal based decisions. You don't need to sue someone to threaten legal action. We do not know what goes in the correspondence between these companies legal teams, but we do know some facts. the difference between trade dress and patent is irrelevant.
    "
    Trade dress and patent law are two totally different things. They cover completely separate things, and are approached in different ways by the courts. Apple sued Samsung over trade dress issues because they believe Samsung was purposefully imitating (copying) apples trade dress and identity, and wanted the courts to put a stop to it. That is very different than suing over kinetic scrolling, tappable links, and other patents. Trade dress allegations are incredibly difficult to fight against, which is exactly what we've seen in the legal fight with Samsung.

Just because you THINK you know what you're talking about doesn't mean that you actually do.

Last edited by Droid800; 05-17-2012 at 12:21 AM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12