What to expect when the phone launches on different providers?

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: What to expect when the phone launches on different providers

Blame the US carriers - absolutely the most anti-consumer in the world. They spend months trying to add boatware and restrictions, change the phone to remove features, match their branding, and delay it for marketing reasons. Verizon is the worst at Android, and Sprint is the best.

kenji117

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site

3rd quarter? Yikes. Hope Sprint gets it earlier. 3rd quarter is September, isn't it?

I would love to know why the US carriers and Samsung are so secretive about when it will come out here. On one hand it seems like the hardware is already set in stone, on the other hand they are being vague. Is it because they don't know how long their testing takes? Is it a chess game as to who paid more to get it first?

Why does it have to be so difficult? Is it because they want to give HTC a chance to sell their phone first, after all, besides the tech blogs, you didn't hear anything about the GS3 in the news, so people that aren't normal like us and search for information won't even know it exists until it's in the store.

Not necessarily as many companies have different year end/start meaning quarter 3 could be june or could be january.

Edit: Sorry if I am wrong.

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

3rd quarter? Yikes. Hope Sprint gets it earlier. 3rd quarter is September, isn't it?

1Q - Jan, Feb, Mar
2Q - Apr, May, Jun
3Q - Jul, Aug, Sep
4Q - Oct, Nov, Dec

When a company announces the availability they almost always use the above generic time frames, as far as I know. If not they would have to call it "fiscal 3Q" to imply it was not the natural 3Q.

Many companies (including the US Government), however, do not start their year on Jan 1 and end on Dec 31. When this is the case, it's called their "fiscal" implying that they are on their own schedule. A fiscal quarter, therefore, could be any part of the year. Their year end date would then be their fiscal year end. etc. etc.

Fiscal year - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

spridell

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site

3q starts in July.

With the Olympics starting end of July and the SIII being the official phone I would bet that every carrier will have this phone by then.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

I need a June release on Sprint or I'll probably get the E4GLTE (which I would rather not do. After June I dont really have a choice. I can only be patient so much)

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Im curious about the variants as well.

But would you guys rather the three soft key ICS buttons, the ones we have here, or all capacitive buttons?

I HATE the software buttons. BTW... They are not ics buttons but gnex buttons.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
1Q - Jan, Feb, Mar
2Q - Apr, May, Jun
3Q - Jul, Aug, Sep
4Q - Oct, Nov, Dec

When a company announces the availability they almost always use the above generic time frames, as far as I know. If not they would have to call it "fiscal 3Q" to imply it was not the natural 3Q.

Many companies (including the US Government), however, do not start their year on Jan 1 and end on Dec 31. When this is the case, it's called their "fiscal" implying that they are on their own schedule. A fiscal quarter, therefore, could be any part of the year. Their year end date would then be their fiscal year end. etc. etc.

Fiscal year - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The fiscal year for many us companies and the US Government starts on Oct 1st.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

As long as its here by July, I could care less....lol....thats when my full upgrade kicks in ;)

MrSlippery519

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site

I hope! But its only 2 weeks now and Sprint hasn't announced anything, nor have the other carriers, so I'm not hopeful of a June release in the US.

Carriers in Canada are saying in time for summer, so mid to late June sounds more likely.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

Not eligible for the phone reimbursement from my company until July 1...hoping it comes out shortly thereafter.

coinmanmat

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Well it wont matter when the GS3 comes out for me because I wont have the money to buy it until I either get a job or I go to college in the fall and have left over financial aid money and this is because i will have to pay the full price for the phone as my upgrade isnt until October of next year.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Not eligible for the phone reimbursement from my company until July 1...hoping it comes out shortly thereafter.

Some carriers let you upgrade early.
Att doesn't advertise it, but they often move the date up.
I know you can check ATT availability by calling *639# or *NEW#. You sound like you know for sure, but just reminding others to check :eek:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol