What to expect when the phone launches on different providers?

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
will they change the design of it, like how the at&t and sprint and t-mobile galaxy s2's all looked different, or will they keep the same design but offer different colors? or will all the phones be the same?

does anyone know? and i read somewhere that the t-mobile version will have a quad core, is that true?

thx in advance and sorry if posted already

MrSlippery519

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: What to expect when the phone launches on different providers

It's hard to say, chances are the home button will be gone however we really have no idea. Give it a few weeks and we will see the North American version.

All of the carriers in Canada have announced the phone will be ready for summer so a June release seems likely

Reactions: Ry

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

For all we know it could be the exact same device for all the carriers. The Galaxy Nexus has very minor changes between its 3 versions. If Samsung wants to make this launch as global and fast as possible, which it looks like they are doing talking about showing us the American version in June (instead of October like last year), I doubt that they had much time to come up with a total of 5 versions of the same phone as they did before. I am guessing Samsung put their foot down and told the carriers that there won't be much customizing. This time around, I don't think there will be a bigger screen version, instead all will be the same size. Maybe they will ditch the home button and go to more of a ICS capacitive button setup. I for one rather have the cap buttons at the bottom than giving up screen space.

We will see in a few weeks!

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

Yeah it's pretty hard to say. My guess is the variant's will be much more similar to the International model this year, based on the apparent speed at which this year's model is being released in the US. It seems everyone may have learned from last year's cluster of a US release and the carriers may not be bickering as much over ways to differentiate their versions from each other. I guess we'll know soon enough.

Whether they keep the button or not is anyone's guess. I'm still leaning towards no, but I'm really 50/50 on it.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

Yeah it's pretty hard to say. My guess is the variant's will be much more similar to the International model this year, based on the apparent speed at which this year's model is being released in the US. It seems everyone may have learned from last year's cluster of a US release and the carriers may not be bickering as much over ways to differentiate their versions from each other. I guess we'll know soon enough.

Whether they keep the button or not is anyone's guess. I'm still leaning towards no, but I'm really 50/50 on it.

i think there is one guarentee tho, sprint and at&t will probably have the best looking versions, while the tmobile version will probably look like crap, like all the other tmobile phones outside of the gs2 white version

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

Safe to say the following...

Verizon: Verizon on front above screen and huge in the back. Also obnoxious huge "4G LTE LOLZ" slapped on there somewhere. Tons of stupid bloat. $100 more expensive.

ATT: ATT branding on front instead of Samsung, tons of stupid bloat.

Sprint: Some bloat. Some concrete physical improvement or alteration (Keyboard on Epic, larger screen/battery on Epic 4G touch). Earliest release date. Generally best version of the phone, most likely.

Although I'd say the likelihood of them all having the same hardware and release date is strong this time around.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site

I just returned from a visit to a local independent ATT reseller who told me point blank that the inside scoop is that the GS3 will not be available from ATT until October at the earliest.

Not happy about that at all :-\

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

Im curious about the variants as well.

But would you guys rather the three soft key ICS buttons, the ones we have here, or all capacitive buttons?

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I just returned from a visit to a local independent ATT reseller who told me point blank that the inside scoop is that the GS3 will not be available from ATT until October at the earliest.

Remember last year? The "inside scoop" was the GSII wasn't coming until January because of Apple lawsuits. Anybody with a reasonable amount of experience with ATT knows the retail employees know nothing. In fact, you are lucky to find those who could tell you the differences between the ATT SGSII, Skyrocket, or Note.

They will probably just try to sell you an iPhone instead.

Unless it comes with the A15 based Exynos, or S4 pro. I would wait for that phone.

Last edited:

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site

I wouldn't bank on that.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't bank on that.
Agreed, he is probably basing that on last year's experience because he wanted to give an answer but didn't have a clue. Should have asked him what processor is in it, and if he would have said quad core, you'd know he is clueless.

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

I'm counting on Sprint, they always have the best version of the phone.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site

My guess is the AT&T, Sprint, and TMO versions will be out in June and Verizon will bring up the rear around the holidays with the GS3 masquerading as the Droid Charge 2 and will be buggy as heck and overloaded with bloat.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site

Att just cancelled plans to release the Skyrocket HD. I would take that as an indication that we'll see the SGIII on Att real soon

Rb103

May 10, 2012
Visit site

A friend that works for Verizon told me last night the GS3 is coming to verizon in June...
Hopefully that's the truth.:)

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

A friend that works for Verizon told me last night the GS3 is coming to verizon in June...
Hopefully that's the truth.:)

Is that based on something he heard from his higher ups, or from what he read on the interwebs?

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Att just cancelled plans to release the Skyrocket HD. I would take that as an indication that we'll see the SGIII on Att real soon

Hope so. June or even a little later if they can wrangle in a S4 pro or Exynos 5 series.
Either way I am at the door when they open, cash in hand.

Rb103

May 10, 2012
Visit site

Is that based on something he heard from his higher ups, or from what he read on the interwebs?

she confirmed today saying distrist manager said 3rd quarter..sooo maybe not June after all, but atleast it does sound promising that it will be coming to verizon.

kenji117

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site

Remember last year? The "inside scoop" was the GSII wasn't coming until January because of Apple lawsuits. Anybody with a reasonable amount of experience with ATT knows the retail employees know nothing. In fact, you are lucky to find those who could tell you the differences between the ATT SGSII, Skyrocket, or Note.

They will probably just try to sell you an iPhone instead.

Unless it comes with the A15 based Exynos, or S4 pro. I would wait for that phone.

While I agree their employees are not trained very well, I know for a fact that they try to push everything except iPhone. Probably due to the sheer fact that it sells itself (not because its good but because everybody and their mother has one...must be good right?).

I recently was told to apply there after talking to one of their reps. I told her I had considered it but I hate Apple with a passion and refuse to sell their garbage but she said that was actually good as they are trying to push Android and WP.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

she confirmed today saying distrist manager said 3rd quarter..sooo maybe not June after all, but atleast it does sound promising that it will be coming to verizon.

3rd quarter? Yikes. Hope Sprint gets it earlier. 3rd quarter is September, isn't it?

I would love to know why the US carriers and Samsung are so secretive about when it will come out here. On one hand it seems like the hardware is already set in stone, on the other hand they are being vague. Is it because they don't know how long their testing takes? Is it a chess game as to who paid more to get it first?

Why does it have to be so difficult? Is it because they want to give HTC a chance to sell their phone first, after all, besides the tech blogs, you didn't hear anything about the GS3 in the news, so people that aren't normal like us and search for information won't even know it exists until it's in the store.