Question about S Voice

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
1. I've heard Samsung describe how S Voice is on even when the phone is sleeping. e.g. to wake up the device you just say 'Hi Galaxy' etc. Or to reject a call, say 'ignore'. But every time they demo, they always launch it using the S Voice app. If it's really on always, what is the impact on battery life?

2. No one ever tries a complex command, like 'send an email to my wife that I'll be home late', 'txt John blah blah', some of which already works in Google voice actions. It's always just the weather! It must be really unfinished.

To me this has the potential to be a great feature if they can get it right. Since its Android it should hook into apps as well. Imagine how great it'll be to say things like - 'Upload all these files to Dropbox' where the actual action is provided by the Dropbox app.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Phil did the Woodchuck test and it worked :) Thats pretty complicated. ( Samsung Galaxy S III S Voice (Siri's competition) - YouTube )

As for starting S-Voice with 'Hi Galaxy'. Heres a video where he starts at the lock screen and says it and it opens ( Galaxy SIII S-Voice Demo - YouTube )

The only thing is... I havent heard it talk back like Siri does. That should be added so you dont have to look at the phone while driving. "What time is it?" it should say aloud "3:45" not just show it on the screen. Thats stupid. It has potential though.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I personally don't want it to always be listening. I had that trouble with EVA (a siri-like app you can download).

Sitting in a meeting the other day at work and all of a sudden my phone starts talking because apparently whoever was speaking in the meeting said something close enough to the wake up command.

That was....annoying.

Eaglemaniac

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I personally don't want it to always be listening. I had that trouble with EVA (a siri-like app you can download).

Sitting in a meeting the other day at work and all of a sudden my phone starts talking because apparently whoever was speaking in the meeting said something close enough to the wake up command.
That was....annoying.

:D:D:D

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I've discovered a fatal flaw with the phone. If your name is Galaxy then whenever someone greets you, the phone will wake up! This is a PR disaster in the making and affects millions of unfortunate users. Samsung needs to fix this!! :D

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Nothing to fix there...you can change it to whatever you want.

Is it completely the same as Siri? Don't know, it probably has similar commands to do stuff with the phone, but in one case it is identical, they both use Wolfram Alpha for any factual questions, like "how high is mount everest?"

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Samsung should list all the S Voice features. e.g. I still don't know if its location aware. Another thing I realized watching the videos was that you have to wait for it to see if it recognized what you said. What they should have done was use the ICS voice recognizer, and that shows you what you are speaking so it's much nicer.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Never mind. All the videos about SVoice I watched all had way too much noise in the background so I couldnt hear it, but heres a clear video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dII80gVy93w&feature=relmfu ). S-Voice's voice sounds depressed lol, I hope you can change it. When will we see Siri vs S-Voice though? and what shall happen with google voice commands?

Siri sounds like a stuck up female dog ! Lol

tf442

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I read that S Voice is based on vlingo. If you check out vlingo, it can respond to your voice when have it set for "incar". And vlingo does caustion you that it takes a lot of battery to use this function.
There are some youtube videos where vlingo shows you some things Siri cannot do that vlingo can.

Jimieo

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Like others, I'm curious to see what S Voice can do. Tired of seeing videos showcasing "Hi Galaxy!" and "What's the weather in London?" There are very few videos showing more than just that. I am grateful for Phil to show off the woodchuck bit though. Personally, I want to see more similarities between Siri and S Voice. I'd love to find out how it reacts to "Where can I hide a body?" and things like "Open the pod bay door."

One thing I really want to see is a comparison between S Voice, Siri and the app Iris.

To others concerned with the voice, there are a few voice options in the store. Ivona I believe is one of the options. It offers a pretty decent British accent. :D

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
This video here is pretty good.

Samsung Galaxy S3 - S-Voice - YouTube

Disregard the fact that she speaks a different language when the video first starts, everything she asks the phone is in english. The impressive part to me is that S Voice understands here despite her accent. The lady throws in some slightly off the wall too, so far it's the best video showcasing S Voice I have seen so far.

camiller

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site

That was....annoying.

I feel it obligatory to post this: How To Use Siri On Your Friends iPhone Comic | ImgAce

bentheslayer

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Do you think we will see S Voice come to other existing Samsung devices (i.e. the Note, S2 etc) via an update? I can't remember reading if S Voice was all software, or if it's dependant on the hardware of the S3.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Do you think we will see S Voice come to other existing Samsung devices (i.e. the Note, S2 etc) via an update? I can't remember reading if S Voice was all software, or if it's dependant on the hardware of the S3.

It's all software, if they wanted to, they could.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

Reactions: bentheslayer

Rams125

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Why can't I answer my galaxy s3 using the voice command like the tv commercial. I have it turned on in the settings can someone help me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463