S-Voice on the ONE X!! NOOoOOoOOO....!!!

robnelle

May 20, 2012
Visit site
Samsung really focused on user experience with this phone. Many of the user experience improvements were software enhancements. The problem is, software is portable - especially between devices that are running slightly different versions of the same OS. I expected this to happen. Samsung had to know it would happen too.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
That's a little disconcerting. Being a non-Android user considering the jump to the SG3, this is a little foreign to me. From my perspective, one manufacturer's software should not be able to ported to another device. There should be more control of OS software. I understand that apps are open software.

Nashstruck

May 5, 2012
Visit site
That's a little disconcerting. Being a non-Android user considering the jump to the SG3, this is a little foreign to me. From my perspective, one manufacturer's software should not be able to ported to another device. There should be more control of OS software. I understand that apps are open software.

I struggle with the same idea too.

But unfortunately, with customisability and open-platform software, comes the problems we just described. Only thing I can hope for is that both hackers and consumers realise that piracy destroys the platform. Hacking the software to allow creativity for developers can be good for the platform e.g. Jailbreaking iOS or using open-platform Android, but pirating software destroys incentive for developers to develop. Ultimately, we lose out as consumers because the developer would rather develop on a "safe" platform and protect their income.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Isn't S-Voice part of Samsung's software added to the ICS OS? That software should be proprietary as I agree that it ultimately destroy the ability of a manufacturer to maintain it brand performance and reputation.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Either way. There are apps in the play store that does exactly what svoice does.

I'm not getting the s3 for s voice, though it is nice to have it there and ready

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

Nashstruck

May 5, 2012
Visit site
With the ROM for S3 out too, does it mean that it is (theoretically and practically) possible to load the S3 ICS software onto a HTC One X?
And enjoy both the beautiful SLCD2 screen and the software updates of Samsung at the same time?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
The issue is that apparent piracy will not only hurt their brand but also sales of the SG3. Granted, S-voice is not a show-stopper in my purchase decision. There should be clear limits on mis-appropriating the software of one maker intellectual property. Apps that are not free should also be protected as intellectual property.

Wontfinishlast

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
The ability to port software between devices is what makes android the superior platform. It means that everyone can build off of everyone else's software and therefore make for the best user experience possible. If I wanted to not have the ability to get the latest and greatest software and settle for whatever the manufacturer has told me I need I would've gotten an iphone.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
The Samsung Nature UXI software distinguishes it from a stock One X and should be regarded as IP that is protected. If companies like XDP can take all parts of the SG3 and make it possible to add to any ICS OS device, then why should the SG3 be released? If open software is so great, what protects our personal devices?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Free speech is great but there are limits which make for a civil society. For instance, one can't yell fire in a crowded theater without legal consequences. Free speech taken to the nth degree is a slippery slope. Porting a company's software may improve the user experience but injury in the form of decreased revenue and the time/effort to develop the code that has lost its value to one company like Samsumg.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
S-voice is just so so. Its not very good at understanding words and phrases, and is really slow. Of course, the legit version on the SG3 could be different.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Mark_C

May 4, 2012
Visit site
For those that cant their head around this, imagine you have a Dell PC and have an application on it, a friend who has an HP machine wants the program, so you stick it on a usb stick and put it on the other machine.
No different between doing the above and swapping apps between phones - common operating system.

Reactions: Wontfinishlast

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
So your friend get software that he did not pay for, thus theft. If I have MS Office, does that mean that I can take and install it on my friend's machine.

Incubus123

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Whatcha gonna do.. you know? Thats just how it is with android. Don't worry, if HTC comes out with some new flashy software it will most likely get the same treatement. ;)

Mark_C

May 4, 2012
Visit site
More to the point its quite funny that according to owners the HOX is "the best phone evah", but they still need to install apps from the S3 ?

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Fyi I loaded s voice on my gnex it if you feel like this stealing then just get vlingo from the market and its free and is same as s voice

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

tekhna

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
You guys are hilarious. S-Voice is just Vlingo. And it's just software. It's got nothing to do with brand protection, etc. It's also not very useful. S-Voice, like Siri, is a novelty you will forget about after a week of owning the phone.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
It's not just one part of the Nature UXI. Whether one part or all. It was still packaged by Samsung to diferentiate it from other brands like HTC. Samsung has been harmed in that not as many would switch to buy it. Once you take one thing that doesn't belong to you, taking more means nothing and nothing has value. The Nature UXI has value that should be locked down. If HTC wants a better user experience, they can package something better.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatDude