Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    435 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock Galaxy S3

Default S Voice isn't just Vlingo/Siri

What makes it different from any other voice app is its part of the OS.

e.g. get a call, you can say 'Answer' or 'Ignore'
    alarm rings, just say 'Snooze'

You don't have to launch an app or press buttons to do this, the phone is always active and listening. No one else does this!

IMO there is a lot of potential. e.g. when looking at an email/web page/picture you could just say 'forward to my family' and it would forward it to your family group. Things like that can be done and my hope is Samsung update the software often.
    Ntchwaidumela and Tsudeily like this.

Default Re: S Voice isn't just Vlingo/Siri

Meh. Voice control in general is a novelty, not just its particular functionality.
    The privacy concern of it constantly listening is also worrisome. I'm not sure I like the idea of my phone constantly listening to me. Sure, the mic could constantly be recording and I wouldn't know, but this in conjunction with something like CarrierIQ could be nasty.
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    561 Global Posts

Voice control seems like a big novelty to me as well. And I definately don't think it is worth the battery consption to have it constantly listen and processing everything it hears to see if it is a usaable command.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    435 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock Galaxy S3

Just saying it is a little bit more impressive and functional. It may not be all that useful, in fact it makes it easy to ignore the alarm

Quote Originally Posted by cd36 View Post
    Voice control seems like a big novelty to me as well. And I definately don't think it is worth the battery consption to have it constantly listen and processing everything it hears to see if it is a usaable command.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    Said the guy with HTC one x phone. I can see how you'd say that with your x having a smaller battery. I'd be concerned about battery consumption if I were you as well. J/K
    Last edited by snoopyandroid; 05-21-2012 at 07:58 PM.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,897 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by ECrispy View Post
    What makes it different from any other voice app is its part of the OS.

e.g. get a call, you can say 'Answer' or 'Ignore'
    alarm rings, just say 'Snooze'

You don't have to launch an app or press buttons to do this, the phone is always active and listening. No one else does this!

IMO there is a lot of potential. e.g. when looking at an email/web page/picture you could just say 'forward to my family' and it would forward it to your family group. Things like that can be done and my hope is Samsung update the software often.
    It's does sound pretty impressive....

Quote Originally Posted by snoopyandroid View Post
    Said the guy with HTC one x phone. I can see how you'd say that with your x having a smaller battery. I'd be concerned about battery consumption if I were you as well.
    ...If it works the way they say it does. Accents...slurs...grogginess...

Impact on battery probably isn't that bad.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

Voice control is a novelty since the technology doesnt work perfectly. Ive noticed from experience both Siri and S Voice have a dificulty at times understanding what you say and often times will give you a response different from what you expected.
    Current phone im using: Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch

Quote Originally Posted by tekhna View Post
    Meh. Voice control in general is a novelty, not just its particular functionality.
    The privacy concern of it constantly listening is also worrisome. I'm not sure I like the Idea of my phone constantly listening to me. Sure, the mic could constantly be recording and I wouldn't know, but this in conjunction with something like CarrierIQ could be nasty.
    Boy are you paranoid!!!
    Thanked by:
    j510 
    ScandaLeX, xontic, dgene84 and 3 others like this.

That siri commercial with Zoey is just so sad.
    Like she has no real friends.

Reminds me of the little old lady that calls just because she wants to hear someones voice.
    VDub2174, Xiphias, _X_ and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayshmay View Post
    Boy are you paranoid!!!
    I heard that S Voice was created by the same people who wrote the patriot act. It taps your phone calls and puts you on the no fly list.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    333 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LazrRocketArm View Post

Reminds me of the little old lady that calls just because she wants to hear someones voice.
    What's sad to me is someone who's looking out the window yet still needs their phone to tell them it's raining. Siri should have replied "Haven't you ever seen rain before, you stupid beeyotch?".
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    777 Global Posts

From the videos I've seen it looks like the same old vlingo with the mediocre voice recognition I have on my Epic Touch 4G just with some more hooks into the operating system. I dont use it now and likely wouldn't use it on future devices either.

Quote Originally Posted by metz65 View Post
    I heard that S Voice was created by the same people who wrote the patriot act. It taps your phone calls and puts you on the no fly list.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Reeeally???. . .

Global Posts
    10,397 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

ha ha, funny stuff. Snooze damn it, wonder if it comprehends attitude....Awesome. Siri commercials are sad, way to much involvement with the app. It aint all that.

Global Posts
    10,397 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

One more thing, when did Vlingo get Siri status, lmao...

Global Posts
    11,176 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Johnly View Post
    ha ha, funny stuff. Snooze damn it, wonder if it comprehends attitude....Awesome. Siri commercials are sad, way to much involvement with the app. It aint all that.
    Have you ever listened to the tone of your GPS when you continually do the opposite of the directions being given? I personally get a kick out of it. My sister heard the "attitude" and couldn't stop laughing. The 'tude usually begins once I'm being told the 5th or 6th time to turn right or left and I don't.

I really am serious!

Global Posts
    10,397 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Quote Originally Posted by ScandaLeX View Post
    Have you ever listened to the tone of your GPS when you continually do the opposite of the directions being given? I personally get a kick out of it. My sister heard the "attitude" and couldn't stop laughing. The 'tude usually begins once I'm being told the 5th or 6th time to turn right or left and I don't.

I really am serious!
    Ha ha! I would love to, but I have only heard Gnav on ice cream sandwich, before that on ginger, and before that on froyo, it was rocking. I use map quest on iOS. It sounds legit. I was driving home from a friends house when that Google lady started to cry, it was right before I hit the mysterious toll road! Got the bill to prove it!

Quote Originally Posted by coinmanmat View Post
    Voice control is a novelty since the technology doesnt work perfectly. Ive noticed from experience both Siri and S Voice have a dificulty at times understanding what you say and often times will give you a response different from what you expected.
    Yeah, I think that keyboards are a novelty since they don't work perfectly.

Sarcasm aside, obviously voice recognition has become much better since its inception and will continue to do so. I had the ripped version of S Voice for about half a day before it stopped working, and its accuracy was surprisingly high; not perfect, but certainly acceptable. In no way would I want to use the service all the time, but there are plenty of situations in which I would find it tremendously useful.

Plus, I take any excuse that I get to be made aware that I'm using the space phone of my dreams and I think to myself "This is the future."

Global Posts
    1,857 Global Posts
    ROM
    TeamSonicFreeGS3 v9.1

I think its pretty cool, could be very helpful. Especially if Samsung comes out with their own little bluetooth that works well with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    It's does sound pretty impressive....

...If it works the way they say it does. Accents...slurs...grogginess...

Impact on battery probably isn't that bad.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Lol, maybe they can make it so it detects how drunk you are by how much you slur your words. Then it can tell you not to drive home...

Global Posts
    10,397 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

lol, that would be awesome. Drunk drivers need to be offed.

I hate that commercial! If it is the one I am thinking of, she looks out the window and ask is it raining? I want to punch her in the face!!!

Thanked by:

On this topic...Vlingo has a new app in beta which looks like their answer to Siri, S Voice (even though it's theirs), and even whatever Google unveils. I'm gonna keep an eye on it since Vlingo has always worked pretty well for me.

ROM
    AOSP 4.2.1

Quote Originally Posted by michael24j View Post
    I hate that commercial! If it is the one I am thinking of, she looks out the window and ask is it raining? I want to punch her in the face!!!
    only for the commercial??? i've wanted to punch that annoying b!tch in the face for about the last 5 years.... then they gave her a tv show.... what the hell is wrong with her?? was she dropped square on her fugly face as a baby??

at least she's not making android commercials... makes sense that a crappy actress is in commercials for a crappy device! rofl!

People with no friends are a great market, just saying...
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast