Score Another Victory For The Quad-Core Source Code Released..

RaiderWill

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Well.. This may help those that are on the fence deciding weather to go for the Quad / Mali-400 or wait for the S4 / Adreno 225 LTE.. Source code is already released for the International.. Roms to shortly follow.. Un-believeable.. We really are treated like 2nd class folk here in the U.S.A.. There may very well be Custom Roms for the Quad before we even hear what carrier is getting the SIII and when they are getting it.. More food for thought if you don't really need 4G that badly and want this puppy now.

2012-05-31213035-1.jpg

RaiderWill

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Re: Score Another Victory For The Quad-Core Source Code Released

After sleeping on it it makes total sense.. I am going to get the International Version.. Even though I am grandfathered in to Verizon Unlimited 4G LTE Data Plan I don't really need 4G for my lifestyle for what little bit of T.V. watching I do in the streets, My Netflix & Slingbox stream just fine on 3G.. And I am not in that big of a hurry to see a webpage.. If it takes a few extra seconds to load big deal.. A 2 Gig phone vs A 1Gig phone? big deal.. All that extra Gig is going to do is cover the BLOATWARE that your carrier is going to put on the phone. You have none of that Mess with the International Version.. And No Developer is going to code a game to take advantage of 2 Gigs when only 2 phones out of 500 have that extra Gig.. So it means Nothing.. All Reviews of the SII & SIII I have seen say they are Lag Free.. Smooth as silk... With just 1 Gig.. And quite frankly to own the Dream Processor EXYNOS very own Exotic Quad-Core paired with the fastest GPU money can buy in the Pumped-Up MalI-400 is just too good to pass up.. I am sure the S4 will be a fine processor in the SIII.. but, Adreno 225 GPU? instead of the 320?? And Samsung DOES NOT cater to americans.. They cater to the International World 1st... Us.. Last.. I think that is the best "Future Proof " reason to get the International Version of all.

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

Good for you, but you do not mention the price difference of the international version compared to the subsidizes US version. Not everyone is willing to pay $650-$700 for the international version, so you have to keep that in mind.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Good for you, but you do not mention the price difference of the international version compared to the subsidizes US version. Not everyone is willing to pay $650-$700 for the international version, so you have to keep that in mind.

True that... There's no way I could justify spending more than $250 on a phone I will be replacing in a couple of years.

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
True that... There's no way I could justify spending more than $250 on a phone I will be replacing in a couple of years.

No way I pay an extra $400 for a phone I replace next summer.
Plus, NO support from samsung USA. I would seriously look into the warranty support if I were you.

If you have the money to burn, go for it RW. I have been happy enough with my carrier bloatwared SGSII and SGSII Skyrocket. Just not worth it for me.

Sent from my Samsung SGH-i727 on ATT LTE

RaiderWill

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

I feel all of you.. times are tough.. and no, I don't have $800.00 to just throw away.. I look at this as a "Smart Investment" I don't want to be locked into a carrier for 2yrs.. I have bought subsidized phone for as long as I can remember.. Even when Verizon had "2" options remember that? You could pay like an extra $100-150.00 and get a One Year Contract.. Oh those were the days.. Right now you look at the S3 and say " MAN! I would not need anything else for 2 yrs! I am going subsidized! " I ask you to look backward for a minute to 2010 would you still be or are you still happy with that 600-800 mhz phone with 512 megs of ram and the 3-3.5 inch screen? Really? so.. you are going to be happy with an S3 in the Summer of 2014.. We can't even concieve of what phones will do at that point.. I am convinced that going International gives me 3 options: 1) Use it on T-Mo.. 2) Switch it to AT&T if need be.. 3) Use it as a Pay as you go unlimited everything for $45 a month.. Just get a GSM Sim out of a $30 dollar phone and stick it in.. works great. You have "ZERO" options for 2yrs with a carrier and their phone.. Warranty? Amazon Warranties ANY phone shipped out of "Their": stock for 1 yr. Should it break. ( My Charge has had Zero issues and I could still use that sweet little $30 dollar GSM phone until I got the replacement/repair back should something fail in it..) A year is all I would have it for anyway. Then sell it for .50 on the $1,00 and move up to the S-IV next summer And I bet ya the S3 will subsidize at $299.00 not the $199.00 everyone thinks it is.. at least not on Big Red, AT&T and Sprint.. Do the Math your $199 + $350.00 E.T.F. only totals $549.00 eh.. not enough to cover their cost on the phone.. $299.00 + Your $350.00 puts you at $649.00 much more inline with Retail price. :)

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Not saying it will be $199, but look at the One X. Sure, the price is down near $550 now, but it wasn't when it launched. The SGSII was $199 and cost near $700 unlocked when it launched. I understand not wanting to be tied to a carrier, but you can't argue saving the upgrade for next summer. Pay full price for a discount next year? No, I'll take the discount NOW and pay full price next year if needed.

Anyway, I have 30 days to return to ATT if I change my mind. You sir,are stuck.

RaiderWill

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

Not saying it will be $199, but look at the One X. Sure, the price is down near $550 now, but it wasn't when it launched. The SGSII was $199 and cost near $700 unlocked when it launched. I understand not wanting to be tied to a carrier, but you can't argue saving the upgrade for next summer. Pay full price for a discount next year? No, I'll take the discount NOW and pay full price next year if needed.

Anyway, I have 30 days to return to ATT if I change my mind. You sir,are stuck.

Well.. Last I checked, Amazon has a return policy.. Sir. But there would be no need to return it. I would be 100% satisfied with the International Version.. For my use, It would be Gaming, Slingbox, Netflix in that order.. While waiting at the Doctors or in line at the Movies or Walmart thats about the extent of my "Hanging Out" and being Anti-Social and flirting with my phone.. And Flix & Sling work just fine on 3G.. I am not trying to show anyone I have the hottest, fastest phone.. Its all personal for me.. I think the Quad / Mali-400 future proofs the phone ( I could re-sell it all over the planet..) more than a Dual-Core / Adreno 225 running phone with 2 gigs of ram that's "U.S.A. ONLY". I don't know what state you are from but here in Cali you pay tax on the entire $800.00 retail price of the phone.. so even if it sold for $200.00 you pay 9% sales tax on $800.00 so you are still at $272.00 But I am sure they will get you for $299.00 so $372.00 is about right. I'd rather be free and clear and just pay the $428.00 difference.. I could sell the International phone next yr for $.50 on the $1.00 and upgrade again to the S-IV if I choose.. and I can Ebay it to ANYONE in the World.. Will your AT&T phone have the same option? And even if you sold your $372.00 AT&T S3 for every dime you paid for it, All your money would either go towards your E.T.F. or have to be put with another $300-$350.00 just to get a differnt phone.. so, whats the difference? Pay me now and be free and clear or pay a little now and I OWN YOUR ASS til September of the year 2014...( At least that's when Verizon will launch..) I am done with having no options but to bow down... to these carriers.

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

There are a few options for those of us in the US -

1. Pay full price for international and use it with prepaid (like TMobile $30 plan). No contract, will save money over 2 years

2. Pay full price for international and use it with a normal plan. No contract but it doesn't save you any money. Good only if you must have the international version, or can't wait

3. Get a high demand new phone on contract like the iPhone 5 and then sell it. use the money to offfset price of international phone. This is #2 but you save money.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I am still perfectly happy with my nexus s4g and my original galaxy s1 epic 4g. Two year old phones I am STILL happy with. So will I still be happy with my gs3 after 2 years. I would probably have to answer yes to that question. Up until now, I have kept every phone I've bought for 3 years. Hell my original T-Mobile sidekick lasted 4 years before getting the epic.

While I see the benefits some would have with the international but have seen 1st hand, cases where it does not benefit. If I had to pay $500 for a phone, it would be a luxury item I would have to do without.

Nashstruck

May 5, 2012
Visit site

There are a few options for those of us in the US -

1. Pay full price for international and use it with prepaid (like TMobile $30 plan). No contract, will save money over 2 years

2. Pay full price for international and use it with a normal plan. No contract but it doesn't save you any money. Good only if you must have the international version, or can't wait

3. Get a high demand new phone on contract like the iPhone 5 and then sell it. use the money to offfset price of international phone. This is #2 but you save money.

I'm in the UK and I'm doing that. Not many realise that as a long term investment on a device, option 3 is the cheapest. Always ALWAYS cheaper to buy the phone retail (off ebay with manufacturer's warranty or separate insurance cover for 2 years) and then sign a contract a few months down the line with an iPhone (cos iPhones always sell for big bucks and there's always someone insane out there to pay twice the price for it) and then sell the iPhone away and pocket the profit. The speed at which iPhones go out of stock always makes it an easy phone to sell and they hold their price amazingly well too.

It's been a week since the SGS3 released in the UK and it's already available for 400GBP off ebay, brand-new set. (down 150GBP compared to RRP)

RaiderWill

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

I am still perfectly happy with my nexus s4g and my original galaxy s1 epic 4g. Two year old phones I am STILL happy with. So will I still be happy with my gs3 after 2 years. I would probably have to answer yes to that question. Up until now, I have kept every phone I've bought for 3 years. Hell my original T-Mobile sidekick lasted 4 years before getting the epic.

While I see the benefits some would have with the international but have seen 1st hand, cases where it does not benefit. If I had to pay $500 for a phone, it would be a luxury item I would have to do without.

I hear you talkin.. but think about it.. Those that get the SIII on Subsidy are still going to pay about $450.00.. $300 phone +Tax on $800.00 Retail Cost = $72.00 + Car Charger $20.00 + Spare Battery $30.00 + Case $30.00 give or take $450.00 bucks.. I have no idea where folks are coming up with $199.00.. You bottom line will be a hell of a lot higher than that.. :D

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I expect it to be $249. Remember the One x was $199 when it launched, so people expect it to be close. Again, even if you want to replace it next summer, which I WILL, then you can pay full price for an unlocked SGSIV. Or use someone elses upgrade, which I WILL.

Seriously though, as often as I upgrade, that's exactly why I NEED the subsidy.

And all those extras are going to be extra even if you buy unlocked.

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

The price of the US subsidized phone with out accessories will be $199-$250. The international version is listed on Amazon for $849. I will pass on the international version.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I hear you talkin.. but think about it.. Those that get the SIII on Subsidy are still going to pay about $450.00.. $300 phone +Tax on $800.00 Retail Cost = $72.00 + Car Charger $20.00 + Spare Battery $30.00 + Case $30.00 give or take $450.00 bucks.. I have no idea where folks are coming up with $199.00.. You bottom line will be a hell of a lot higher than that.. :D

People are saying $199 because that's what just about every high end phone costs on contract release day with sprint.

Epic, epic2touch, nexus s4g, gnex, evo lte all considered high end when they were released. All of them sold for under 225 when bought with contract. Don't see it being much different this time out.

With my sales tax being 8.25% I expect to pay between $216-$244 For the phone. Already have car charger, will never use a case. The only extra I am going to get is a spare battery and that will be purchased later when they start showing up on amazon.

As I have mentioned before, the ONLY cell service for 15 miles of where I live is sprint. No cricket, no tmobile, no at&t, no verizon and no boost. ONLY Sprint. So really why wouldn't I get a phone on contract with the ONLY game in town.

RaiderWill

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

Ok............... Goodluck at $199.00 !!!! :D:D:D We all would love to get the hottest phone for Mid-Range prices... But I won't spoil your hopes & dreams anymore... I'll let the black and white print do it for me... Again I wish you the best of luck getting a Samsung Galaxy S3 for $199.00 Bucks.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I feel all of you.. times are tough.. and no, I don't have $800.00 to just throw away.. I look at this as a "Smart Investment" I don't want to be locked into a carrier for 2yrs.. I have bought subsidized phone for as long as I can remember.. Even when Verizon had "2" options remember that? You could pay like an extra $100-150.00 and get a One Year Contract.. Oh those were the days.. Right now you look at the S3 and say " MAN! I would not need anything else for 2 yrs! I am going subsidized! " I ask you to look backward for a minute to 2010 would you still be or are you still happy with that 600-800 mhz phone with 512 megs of ram and the 3-3.5 inch screen? Really? so.. you are going to be happy with an S3 in the Summer of 2014.. We can't even concieve of what phones will do at that point.. I am convinced that going International gives me 3 options: 1) Use it on T-Mo.. 2) Switch it to AT&T if need be.. 3) Use it as a Pay as you go unlimited everything for $45 a month.. Just get a GSM Sim out of a $30 dollar phone and stick it in.. works great. You have "ZERO" options for 2yrs with a carrier and their phone.. Warranty? Amazon Warranties ANY phone shipped out of "Their": stock for 1 yr. Should it break. ( My Charge has had Zero issues and I could still use that sweet little $30 dollar GSM phone until I got the replacement/repair back should something fail in it..) A year is all I would have it for anyway. Then sell it for .50 on the $1,00 and move up to the S-IV next summer And I bet ya the S3 will subsidize at $299.00 not the $199.00 everyone thinks it is.. at least not on Big Red, AT&T and Sprint.. Do the Math your $199 + $350.00 E.T.F. only totals $549.00 eh.. not enough to cover their cost on the phone.. $299.00 + Your $350.00 puts you at $649.00 much more inline with Retail price. :)

Some of us will never terminate our contract so just take away that $350 E.T.F. and your argument is pointless. You keep adding it to the cost of ownership but its only if you cancel or terminate your contract. BTW... That E.T.F goes down every month.

coinmanmat

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Sprint never prices its high end phones more than $199.99. When the Galaxy Nexus was introduced to Sprint, it was priced $100 cheaper than Verizon at $199.99. Only after that did Big Red drop the G Nex price to match Sprint. The only case where a phone is priced more than $199.99 is when carriers like AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile get greedy and wanna reduce the subsidies they pay out for the phone. Its greed because some months later they drop the price.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums