Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CTREV21
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How would the extra 1 gig of Ram effect the S3

Does anyone know if it will hurt the battery life since more programs would run in the background?

What other effects could the extra Ram cause?

Default Re: How would the extra 1 gig of Ram effect the S3

First-more RAM means more programs running in the background only if you choose to run more programs in the background.

What's the effect? Basically you'll have more free RAM, which means greater ability to run a large number of apps without them needing to be closed.

Better multitasking experience

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Android Central Forums

Better experience overall. Just like your desktop/laptop, more RAM=better performance.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

It means that unlike HTC, which just took the cheap and lazy route, Samsung has decided that they actually care about giving their customers a choice regarding the manner in which they use their phone. Good job Samsung.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

But keep in mind the average user doesn't need more than 1gig og ram. It's a nice upgrade for power users though.

Choices are.... More ram or a better screen. Also the s3 will have better battery life too.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by cgardner View Post
    But keep in mind the average user doesn't need more than 1gig og ram. It's a nice upgrade for power users though.

Choices are.... More ram or a better screen. Also the s3 will have better battery life too.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums
    Actually the average user apparently does need more than 1Gig of RAM.
    My friend, who bought the One X because I suggested it based one the reviews I had seen pre launch, probably doesn't even know what a tech Site is but he does know that he doesn't like how the One X is constantly "reloading things" as he puts it.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by calvin35 View Post
    Actually the average user apparently does need more than 1Gig of RAM.
    My friend, who bought the One X because I suggested it based one the reviews I had seen pre launch, probably doesn't even know what a tech Site is but he does know that he doesn't like how the One X is constantly "reloading things" as he puts it.
    That's not because of the amount of Ram, 1 gb is plenty. It's the way HTC decided to use it, so it's actually software related.

From my long awaited and totally worth it EVO LTE!
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Calvin is correct. Its how HTC uses it's software. Annoying? Yes to some. The HOX is not a phone that will fit everyone.

I think 2 gb is a bit overkill, but then again it definitely won't hurt. I'm actually excited for this phone, my wife will be getting it. So I get to play with both, I love the fact that she's a Samsung girl and I'm an HTC guy, it works out perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by mykrlz182 View Post
    That's not because of the amount of Ram, 1 gb is plenty. It's the way HTC decided to use it, so it's actually software related.

I am not an expert by any means, so I am just asking. HTC made the "software" decision because they felt it was needed? They say it improves the user experience. I assume it is because they believe multiple apps open has a tendency to choke the phone?
    Would 2 gb of ram alleviate this issue?
    So, even though it was a software choice, was it a choice based on hardware issues?

Sent from my Samsung Galxy S2 Skyrocket SGH-i727 on ATT LTE

Quote Originally Posted by mykrlz182 View Post

I had the phone for three weeks. Trust me when I say that there is a good reason why HTC decided to utilize their one gig the way they do. If they didn't the phone would constantly freeze up. The HOX does not have enough free memory on board to multitask properly. I know from experience.

Edit: While rooted I was able to change settings to the point where it appeared to be working but the moment I came across a flash heavy Web site or used the phone in a manner that upped the ram usage everything froze up.
    Last edited by calvin35; 06-03-2012 at 12:10 PM.

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

I thought HTC made that decision because the S4 and Adreno combo uses so much memory that's little left for applications. I think that's why Samsung offers 2GB for the US GS3.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmunjal View Post
    I thought HTC made that decision because the S4 and Adreno combo uses so much memory that's little left for applications. I think that's why Samsung offers 2GB for the US GS3.
    You are correct. Unfortunately for me since I loved almost everything else about the HOX, HTC decided not to do that.

ROM
    Phenomenal 2.4 ICS

so we can agree that multitasking would be improved.

the real cause for the extra 1 gig of ram is due to the processor used in the 2 GB variants of the Galaxy S3.

the krait s4 cpu does come with the adreno cpu which does NOT have dedicated video ram. this leads to it needing to take some of the general RAM away for graphic tasks.

this is why the HTC One X with the S4 CPU has even less RAM free than the Tegra3 variant.

so to circumvent scenarios with to low memory, because of the added need for RAM by the adreno gpu samsung decided to add to the memory. since samsung does manufacture the RAM chips itself it can pretty "cheaply" upgrade the memory size.

I'd take 2gb of ram no questions asked.

Sent from my sorry *** EVO 3D
    mud314 likes this.

I would have loved the 2gig on the international model I ve s2 and my is always getting clogged up....

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,102 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by LazrRocketArm View Post
    I am not an expert by any means, so I am just asking. HTC made the "software" decision because they felt it was needed? They say it improves the user experience. I assume it is because they believe multiple apps open has a tendency to choke the phone?
    Would 2 gb of ram alleviate this issue?
    So, even though it was a software choice, was it a choice based on hardware issues?

Sent from my Samsung Galxy S2 Skyrocket SGH-i727 on ATT LTE
    Software decision by HTC.

Quote Originally Posted by calvin35 View Post
    I had the phone for three weeks. Trust me when I say that there is a good reason why HTC decided to utilize their one gig the way they do. If they didn't the phone would constantly freeze up. The HOX does not have enough free memory on board to multitask properly. I know from experience.

Edit: While rooted I was able to change settings to the point where it appeared to be working but the moment I came across a flash heavy Web site or used the phone in a manner that upped the ram usage everything froze up.
    No kernel source yet, so dev's can't work out a proper software hack that would change this permanently. They admitted it's better, but not where it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmunjal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by v1rtu4l View Post
    so we can agree that multitasking would be improved.

the real cause for the extra 1 gig of ram is due to the processor used in the 2 GB variants of the Galaxy S3.

the krait s4 cpu does come with the adreno cpu which does NOT have dedicated video ram. this leads to it needing to take some of the general RAM away for graphic tasks.

this is why the HTC One X with the S4 CPU has even less RAM free than the Tegra3 variant.

so to circumvent scenarios with to low memory, because of the added need for RAM by the adreno gpu samsung decided to add to the memory. since samsung does manufacture the RAM chips itself it can pretty "cheaply" upgrade the memory size.

I'm not buying that HTC did it because of the way the S4 as a chip is set up. Previous Snapdragon chips had less ram than this and multitasked better. Those Adreno chips also had to share RAM. I'm sure that part of it has to do with the fact that battery life is better (marginally) without a ton of apps in memory, and you'll probably very rarely (if ever) see Sense force close (this has been an issue for them before). So to keep that from happening they just actively kill apps. There's probably a much better way to do this, but I'm no dev so I don't know. Could be they rushed it to be first to market and will change it with an update. Who knows. But remember that Samsung has had access to the ICS source code for far longer than any other manufacturer. That has definitely helped them refine the software.

We'll obviously learn more as some smart devs get this phone in their hands, but another possibility is that Samsung knew this would upset some people (the change from Exynos to Snapdragon) so they put more RAM in to appease them. Yeah, that's a far, far, far stretch of the imagination, but it's not completely impossible.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

Global Posts
    1,949 Global Posts
    ROM
    TeamSonicFreeGS3 v9.1

So we get better multitasking and possibly less battery used? So whats more efficient the UK version with 1 gig of Ram and Exynos or the American version with 2 gigs of Ram and the S4?

I am not very familiar with the all the tech aspects of RAM and such, so I appreciate all the posts from you guys. One question though, I keep seeing multitasking being the biggest benefactor from the 2 GB of RAM but is it possible or likely that we see snappier performance in day to day tasks due to the RAM increase? Surely flying around the phone from app drawer to apps to making phone calls, etc. there is bound to be a slight increase in performance compared to it only having 1 GB, right?

I find the conversations regarding more RAM in a phone similar to the conversations regarding running more RAM in a desk top pc. More sys RAM will help the phone load apps more quickly & appear snappier. From what I've read, ICS is very good at multitasking. Phones these days are mini pc's. My IP4 is more powerful than my first desktop. As phones become more pc like, the phone's hardware specs will be parallel to a pc. What we are seeing with the HOX, is a purposefully gimped memory software management approach to solve a hardware problem. The hardware problem is not enough sys RAM to handle a heavily tasked phone. The problem has its roots in the fact that in the US / Japan, quad cores don't work well with LTE radios. The quad core SOC have dedicated memory for the graphics chip. The dual core SOC do not & depend upon sys RAM. Samsung seems to have realized this & built their phone with appropriate hardware to give the user a very good experience that would be similar to pc performance.

It's been interesting to watch the evolution of the smartphone from the early days of Palm Pilots and Compaq IPAQ's. Hardware wise, phones are starting to come full circle to pc's as people use the phone's as an extension of their desktop pc. I almost expect phone's to start to replace laptops as phone become more sophisticated with future hardware & software improvements.

More sys RAM is a good thing!
    Thanked by:
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Thanks for the comments guys

Some European S3 owners over on XDA are reporting launcher redraws on their phones (which, remember, only have 1 gig of RAM).

Perhaps Samsung decided to throw US users a bone and bump of the RAM to offset the fact that we don't get a quad core chip since no quad core chips were ready to work with LTE yet (that's coming to the US later this year), or perhaps they've discovered a flaw in their earlier European designs and found that they needed to increase the RAM to provide a better user experience.

Either way, 2 gigs of RAM was "win" written all over it

ROM
    Stock/Nova Prime

I hateit when the launcher redraws! Does it all the time on my Droid x. There should be no excuse with 2 gigs. I plan on running nova on my GS3 I just hope it stays in memory.

Sent from my Xoom using Android Central Forums
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,413 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

Quote Originally Posted by UCLA 15 View Post
    First-more RAM means more programs running in the background only if you choose to run more programs in the background.

What's the effect? Basically you'll have more free RAM, which means greater ability to run a large number of apps without them needing to be closed.
    No. The system will still cache a ton of background processes before you even open them, the same way Windows does, and the same way most all other UNIX-based OSes do. Free RAM is wasted RAM, and not using much of it as a cache actually makes performance worse.

The extra RAM will boost performance, but not necessarily because you will have more FREE RAM, but because it will have much of the app data that you'll access pretty much ever (unless you install a ton of apps/games) already cached when you go to launch them.

Loading from a RAM Cache is faster than loading from Storage, therefore performance benefits.

And of course if you run very large applications, there is an obvious benefit to the extra RAM. Also note that even 1GB devices have less than 1GB App-Accessible RAM since some RAM is reserved (GPU, etc.), so it's also good to know that you'll at least have more than the 1GB those other SKUs are advertised to have - app-accessible...