Activation Question

matt0715

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I am planning on getting the s3 by using my moms line which is available for upgrade then taking the s3 and putting it on my line then giving her my tbolt. Does it matter if I still have a custom rom on my tbolt while they put it on her line? Do they even need to access the phone or is everything in the sim card?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I am planning on getting the s3 by using my moms line which is available for upgrade then taking the s3 and putting it on my line then giving her my tbolt. Does it matter if I still have a custom rom on my tbolt while they put it on her line? Do they even need to access the phone or is everything in the sim card?

Not 100% sure how Verizon SIMs work but with ATT all you gotta do is swap SIM cards then your all set. This is why I went with a GSM network! I also hope it works the same for you. I'm sure someone from Verizon will chime in for you!

Reactions: matt0715

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Believe the SIII sim is micro so he'd need to cut down his Thunderbolt sim in order to get it to work. Also the sim is tied to the line so you wouldn't be able to activate the thunderbolt on her line with that sim. You'll need to get another standard sim from Verizon. You shouldn't have any problems with the sim that comes with the SIII assuming you transfer the upgrade and don't activate it on her line.

TimV28

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
You can just swap Sim cards. Just let Verizon know. One issue I had was I had a custom ROM on my nexus and did a wipe and switched lines. Somehow the software got messed up and I had to revert to stock before it could be reactivated. But 99 percent of the time the custom ROM will not matter

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

matt0715

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Believe the SIII sim is micro so he'd need to cut down his Thunderbolt sim in order to get it to work. Also the sim is tied to the line so you wouldn't be able to activate the thunderbolt on her line with that sim. You'll need to get another standard sim from Verizon. You shouldn't have any problems with the sim that comes with the SIII assuming you transfer the upgrade and don't activate it on her line.

Sounds good thanks! So do you think I should revert my tbolt to stock or can I just leave it with a custom rom?

matt0715

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
You can just swap Sim cards. Just let Verizon know. One issue I had was I had a custom ROM on my nexus and did a wipe and switched lines. Somehow the software got messed up and I had to revert to stock before it could be reactivated. But 99 percent of the time the custom ROM will not matter

Ok thanks for the help!

TimV28

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
I would leave it how it is and revert to stock only if it wont activate

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Shouldn't make any difference. It's just as if you bought a used phone off somewhere like CL. Just take it in to a verizon store and tell them you want to use that phone on your line. They shouldn't even charge you for the new sim card.

lmc05

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

What makes you think Samsung is doing the micro in the US version? I haven't read anything about it one way or the other, so I'm just curious where you're getting your info from :)

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Just an assumption based on the international version using a micro sim along with Verizon's recent releases like the GNex and Razr Maxx being micro.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois