Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default AT&T vs. Verizon for S3?

In my area I have 2G. Yes, 2G on AT&T. They aren't upgrading my service to 3G until April of 2013. My area will never see 4G (at least not on AT&T). I can drive 30 mins and have 3G but I can't send or recieve MMS messages when I'm at home because 2G is . This really sucks as I have family spread all over the country. I know Verizon's 3G isn't as great as AT&T's 3G, but considering I'm still on 2G at my house, would making the leap to Verizon be the most logical choice? I'm on the unlimited data plan with AT&T but what good is it doing me if I can only use it 50% of the time? I'd rather be on a tiered plan with Verizon and have usability. Give me any kind of input. Thanks!!

Default Re: AT&T vs. Verizon for S3?

2G???? where do you live? you really dont have many options here.

a great plan and crappy service or a crappy plan and ok service .
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Yeah, I'm serious it's 2G lol I live in the eastern portion of Kentucky. I have 3G if I drive 30 mins but like I said I can't send or get any kind of multimedia messages while at home. It sucks. How bad is Verizon's 3G? I am going to get the 5 gb plan but if it sucks that bad, is it even worth it? I use a lot of wifi but it sucks having to put pictures on fb because I can't even text them at home.

test it out you always have thirty days

Quote Originally Posted by Urbancowboy69 View Post
    In my area I have 2G. Yes, 2G on AT&T. They aren't upgrading my service to 3G until April of 2013. My area will never see 4G (at least not on AT&T). I can drive 30 mins and have 3G but I can't send or recieve MMS messages when I'm at home because 2G is . This really sucks as I have family spread all over the country. I know Verizon's 3G isn't as great as AT&T's 3G, but considering I'm still on 2G at my house, would making the leap to Verizon be the most logical choice? I'm on the unlimited data plan with AT&T but what good is it doing me if I can only use it 50% of the time? I'd rather be on a tiered plan with Verizon and have usability. Give me any kind of input. Thanks!!
    I am a big supporter of ATT, but I would try out Verizon to see if it works any better at your house than the ATT.

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts

I'd go with VZW.

They could beat AT&T's HSPA+ to your area with LTE. The odds of them having LTE where you live by end of this calendar year are good. Plus, Applalachian Wireless is putting up a bunch of LTE in Eastern KY that VZW customers will also be able to use.

Only thing I'd test is coverage, but if that works and you aren't in an area where VZW is oversold, then you should be good to go.

I'm telling you this with my AT&T avatar, :lol: I think each area is different and it sounds like you may be in a place with better VZW coverage.

What town do you live nearest to?

Global Posts
    306 Global Posts

I will never choose a CDMA network over a GSM one. Never

sent from my Galaxy S2

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wilfreb View Post
    I will never choose a CDMA network over a GSM one. Never

sent from my Galaxy S2
    If you lived in an area where AT&T had EDGE I bet you'd be on CDMA. :lol: I know it's a really small number of people that still live in EDGE only areas but until more rural HSPA+ is deployed people with smartphones in those areas kind of have to go to Verizon.

Also LTE is a GSM network so when VZW completes the changeover to having LTE everywhere and VoLTE enabled by the end of 2013, that's a big plus for Verizon IMO.

I like AT&T but they need to hit the accelerator here though HSPA+ will be fine against LTE in really rural areas. The OP does live in a stronger VZW area now that Appalachian is a full LTE partner.

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

I'm an hour shy of Lexington. Right on the cusp of Tennessee. We will never have 4G with AT&T. I have 3G if I go 30 mins west but oddly enough have to go over an hour south to get 3G again. According to the Verizon map I do get service at my address and more importantly I get 3G service at my house BUT if the 3G service Verizon is going to offer is going to be equal to the edge service I have now I'll just stay put and wait for AT&T to eventually give us 3G. What are your thoughts? Will Verizon's 3G at least beat AT&Ts edge as far as data goes?

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts

Have you tried a M-Cell for the house? If you live in an area that is known to have bad ATT reception you can go to the ATT store and get a free M-Cell. ATT is willing to do this to keep customers from jumping and going to other carriers. We just went through this very thing. LTE reception is good at the house but Voice is spotty at best. Called ATT and complained and they recommended I go to the local ATT store and pick up a free M-Cell. Give it a try.

Oh and HI EVERYONE! First post! Converting to Android from my miserable little Palm Pre2. Can't wait for this phone!
    Last edited by kev2126; 06-05-2012 at 12:53 PM.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

I have five bars sitting in my living room. Never have issues making or receiving calls but data? Forget about it. It's 2G. Does this m-cell improve data?

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts

The Micro Cell gives you 3G service using your broadband internet.

Global Posts
    765 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kev2126 View Post
    The Micro Cell gives you 3G service using your broadband internet.

Wow. Great find. I get poor data service in my house in most rooms. I'm going to call ATT today and see about getting one. Thanks a million. I love this forum

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts

I'm an hour shy of Lexington. Right on the cusp of Tennessee. We will never have 4G with AT&T. I have 3G if I go 30 mins west but oddly enough have to go over an hour south to get 3G again. According to the Verizon map I do get service at my address and more importantly I get 3G service at my house BUT if the 3G service Verizon is going to offer is going to be equal to the edge service I have now I'll just stay put and wait for AT&T to eventually give us 3G. What are your thoughts? Will Verizon's 3G at least beat AT&Ts edge as far as data goes?
    I'd try it out. Based on where you live you could have 4G LTE from Verizon soon. That would make your choice pretty straight forward IMO. Check with a corporate store near you. At the least workers at a corporate store have an idea of when Verizon would get LTE in your neighborhood. Check with a corporate store near you, the closest is probably in Lexington.

As far as using data at home, I would use Wi-Fi off my home Internet. I understand though if you live in an area where wireless Internet is the only option. The Microcell requires a wireline broadband connection so in areas where home broadband is not available, it is not an option. What the Microcell helps with more than anything is better calls by giving a phone a 3G GSM connection to the phone system as opposed to a 2G connection. 3G is a better system that's more reliable.
    Last edited by Fraydog; 06-05-2012 at 02:36 PM.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

I called Verizon and to just test their service for say 2 days it will cost me 80 bucks! Fml! I'm trying to find someone that has Verizon so I can test it at my house. Also, I called AT&T and they are sending me a m-cell for free, so that might alleviate at least the sending pics at home. It doesnt fully fix my problem though. I dont want to pay 80 bucks to try their service for 2 days.

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts

I called Verizon and to just test their service for say 2 days it will cost me 80 bucks! Fml! I'm trying to find someone that has Verizon so I can test it at my house. Also, I called AT&T and they are sending me a m-cell for free, so that might alleviate at least the sending pics at home. It doesnt fully fix my problem though. I dont want to pay 80 bucks to try their service for 2 days.
    See if your friend can run speed tests if he has a smartphone on Verizon.

Global Posts
    765 Global Posts

How did you get it free? I wanted to charge me $199 when I called

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

Be careful of what Verizon's coverage map says, I know first hand it's not a true map. They tell me.I should be covered up with 4g yet I'm lucky if I get 3g for most part and with numerous calls all they say is they will let me out of my contract at no cost.

sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2

I don't think you have that many options. Just choose any carrier provides the better quality of network.
    -Motorola Droid X -> Samsung Galaxy S2 -> Samsung Galaxy S3

Global Posts
    313 Global Posts

Verizon's 3G is faster the AT&T's EDGE data speed wise. It's not as fast at AT&T'S 3G but if you have VZW 3G at your house, it's better then having EDGE only. Sounds like you live in a real rural area not to even have 3G at your locale. I have worked for at&t and tested the microcell's out. They work well, within your own house. But wouldn't use WiFi anyway and wouldn't really have the need for it? Have to use what works where you spend the vast majority of your time, regardless of carrier or cost.

21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

I would like to try Verizon's service before I move over to them but no luck on findin anyone with a smartphone! I would have to shell out 80 bucks to try it for 2 days. Idk what to do as getting any new phone will lock me wirh either company for 2 years.

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

After being on Sprints CDMA network for years and hating it I will never pick a CDMA network over a GSM network unless I had too! I like changing phones with out dealing with a website or calling CS...

BUT here is how I would do it...

Network > Device > Personal Pref > Customer Service...

Hope this helps! I will be staying with ATT for my SGIII...

Cheers!
    HTC One (ATT GSM)
    Palm Pre- > HTC Evo 3D > HTC One X (White) > Samsung Galaxy S3 (White) > HTC One (Silver)
    If any of my posts help you don't forget to thank/like it!!

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts

I would like to try Verizon's service before I move over to them but no luck on findin anyone with a smartphone! I would have to shell out 80 bucks to try it for 2 days. Idk what to do as getting any new phone will lock me wirh either company for 2 years.
    No one else around you has an iPhone? That runs on VZW's 3G network. Everyone uses a flip? I doubt congestion is an issue on VZW then.

I just find that really hard to believe...

What carriers do the people around you use? I hate to say this...but you probably get 3G from AT&T by now if you had enough people call AT&T to complain.

I'd still go with VZW because your buddies will all get jealous of you when you get faster Internet on your phone then on their DSL. If they get DSL at all, that is.

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cgardner View Post
    After being on Sprints CDMA network for years and hating it I will never pick a CDMA network over a GSM network unless I had too! I like changing phones with out dealing with a website or calling CS...

BUT here is how I would do it...

Network > Device > Personal Pref > Customer Service...

Hope this helps! I will be staying with ATT for my SGIII...

Cheers!
    But since the LTE phones are Sim card based (not GSM....) You can do that change out with the Sim card with VZW CDMA/LTE phones.

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts

What part of Kentucky? You say an hour shy of Lexington? Are you in Morehead or around there?

I am from Louisville and just graduated from UK in Lexington. Here is how Verizon tends to roll in Kentucky: In areas Verizon serves, they are far better than AT&T. AT&T is a colossal trainwreck in Louisville and Lexington. Verizon is hands-down the better choice in Kentucky if you are in their native network (not Appalachian or Bluegrass, although Bluegrass is very good). If you were in an Appalachian territory and AT&T had 3G there, I would go that route, but since you are in native Verizon area, I can confidently say they will serve you better.

I pull LTE speeds of 60+mbps in Louisvlle on LTE, and 2.5+ on 3G on Verizon. Ditto for Lexington, and the 3G speeds are stellar along 64 as well. All of 64 between Lexington and Louisville is LTE, and I also know Ashland now has live LTE service. It is only a matter of time until they come through to light up your area as well. Verizon is very aggressive in Kentucky it seems.

If there is one thing I can almost guarantee, it is this: if you have Verizon bars in your house, your service will be faster than EDGE on AT&T. Moreover, all areas that currently have Verizon 3G (including your stomping grounds) will be LTE by 1 year from today, so I recommend you go with the new Verizon GS3 or any other VZW LTE phone.

For everyone above complaining about CDMA networks: why? How hard is it to hop online and change out an ESN? Harder than swapping SIMs, ok, but not difficult at all. Regardless, if you purchase an LTE phone from Verizon, you get the same SIM-swapping benefits.

Like Fraydog said, it sounds like Verizon is relatively un-congested there since you cannot find one person there with a VZW smartphone. That's probably a good thing- more bandwidth for you. If I could get out that way, I would stop by and run some tests for ya, but I got a whole weeks worth of work here in Louisville, so I can't.

Just know this: assuming you have Verizon 3G in your house:
    -it will be faster than AT&T EDGE
    -it will be more reliable than AT&T EDGE (voice and data)
    -it will be 4GLTE by this time next year

Go to your closest VZW store and sign up, you have 14 days to see if the phone works in and around your area. If it does not meet your satisfaction, return it.

I feel confident VZW is the best choice for you going off how stellar they are in the rest of Kentucky. It is a shame AT&T has neglected our state (in regards to the lack of HSPA+ rollout and quality of the network in places they do have HSPA+ (Louisville especially)). With no help coming to your area soon from AT&T, I say give Big Red a shot- you'll most definitely be glad you did!

EDIT: one more thing. Even if Verizon's 3G ain't all that great at your place, 4GLTE will probably help with that, because even at one bar, the speeds can reach 5-6mbps, far more than you need to do most things. However, there is a very good chance Verizon will be better at your house today, and only get better next June with LTE.
    Last edited by trocks797; 06-05-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast