Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S3 sample videos ...Audio not good

Been looking at some videos by besteproduct vs. the iphone, S2, and One X. The audio sounds horrible compared to the others. Video is average and almost seems like the S2 is just as good in video but better audio.

I would think that Samsung would have put more emphasis into the audio as well. Seems like they upgraded to a Sony sensor for video but downgraded the audio, from the S2.

I preordered this thing and now kind of having second thoughts.

Global Posts
    764 Global Posts

Default Re: Galaxy S3 sample videos ...Audio not good

I've been following this phone since day one and I have NEVER heard and audio or video complaint.

Quote Originally Posted by chay03 View Post
    Been looking at some videos by besteproduct vs. the iphone, S2, and One X. The audio sounds horrible compared to the others. Video is average and almost seems like the S2 is just as good in video but better audio.

I would think that Samsung would have put more emphasis into the audio as well. Seems like they upgraded to a Sony sensor for video but downgraded the audio, from the S2.

I preordered this thing and now kind of having second thoughts.
    If you don't like the samples you saw, then cancel your order.
    Roboticz likes this.

Yeah most reviews I have read has said that the s3 had great audio

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
    kboss375 likes this.

I've been complaining since day one that the audio was terrible, worse than the S2. Worse than a ton of phone actually. Sounds really awful. I've been following this from day one as well, watched the samples from day one, all the way to the most recent, and even downloaded the original mp4 files from review websites. Most reviewers don't seem to give two shizzles about the audio capture quality. How many HTC reviews have I read saying how great their stereo recording is, only to find out it is the worst thing I have ever heard in the world? The same applies to this phone.

No your eyes are not deceiving you, the video isn't that different from the S2. However, the audio is night and day different. Like I said, it is TERRIBLE.

This ain't a fanboy haven. We can complain about the phone as much as we want. You have the choice to not read opinion threads and phone "issues" because you think this phone is so perfect.

I think anyone who thinks the audio captured from this phone is actually good needs to either

1) Play it on a real computer with real speakers
    2) Get your ears checked
    3) Get out of your bubble and listen to the million other phones with much better audio. I'll name a few: Motorola Razr, Rim BlackBerry Bold, iPhone, Nokia Lumia.

Now you guys are talking about audio playback from taking video right?
    One thing i noticed is bad wind noise with my Galaxy Note.
    So bad i turn down the volume on most of the video i have shot out doors
    during playback of said video.
    The only thing future proof in electronics is the electricity itself.

dmmarck "I love wiping myself!"

Global Posts
    764 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by katamari201 View Post
    I've been complaining since day one that the audio was terrible, worse than the S2. Worse than a ton of phone actually. Sounds really awful. I've been following this from day one as well, watched the samples from day one, all the way to the most recent, and even downloaded the original mp4 files from review websites. Most reviewers don't seem to give two shizzles about the audio capture quality. How many HTC reviews have I read saying how great their stereo recording is, only to find out it is the worst thing I have ever heard in the world? The same applies to this phone.

No your eyes are not deceiving you, the video isn't that different from the S2. However, the audio is night and day different. Like I said, it is TERRIBLE.

This ain't a fanboy haven. We can complain about the phone as much as we want. You have the choice to not read opinion threads and phone "issues" because you think this phone is so perfect.

I think anyone who thinks the audio captured from this phone is actually good needs to either

1) Play it on a real computer with real speakers
    2) Get your ears checked
    3) Get out of your bubble and listen to the million other phones with much better audio. I'll name a few: Motorola Razr, Rim BlackBerry Bold, iPhone, Nokia Lumia.
    Ok buddy calm down. You have the phone and I don't. All I said was that I never heard a complaint about the audio.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

The video samples I've seen seem to suffer from constant micro adjustments to focus. Almost enough to start causing motion sickness.

Quote Originally Posted by blitz118 View Post
    If you don't like the samples you saw, then cancel your order.
    Couldn't of said it better!

here is a PERFECT example of how bad the audio is compared to the HTC one X for instance

is this just audio for video recording or audio for the ear when talking to the phone.

I dont do alot of videos so I dont see the video recording too important to me IMO.

Given the choice between choppy video and sub-par audio, I'll take sub-par audio.

Why should we have to choose between those when we purchase a flagship phone? I would expect above average video AND audio.
    ajbrickyard likes this.

Global Posts
    764 Global Posts

Just don't get it if you don't like the audio

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums
    Roboticz likes this.

Global Posts
    277 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fourthchirpin View Post
    is this just audio for video recording or audio for the ear when talking to the phone.

I dont do alot of videos so I dont see the video recording too important to me IMO.
    This is a good question. Obviously the review on youtube is done when recording a video. But like you I'm not worried if the audio is distorted while recording videos but others may have a different view. If the audio is horrible when playing music and/or during calls then I will be more concerned. I didn't think the audio was that bad in the youtube video, obviously the HTC was better but the S3 wasn't horrific. Either way hopefully it can be fixed with a software update.

Quote Originally Posted by slide83 View Post
    Why should we have to choose between those when we purchase a flagship phone? I would expect above average video AND audio.
    If you don't like the Galaxy S3... then go buy another phone. Seems like a pretty simple thing to me...

Just to be clear, this has to do with the mic, because saying the audio is bad has clearly gotten a lot of people to think this is about the speaker quality or sound quality with headphones.

I've watched a view videos now, including the one linked like 5 posts up, and yes, the mic quality on the GS3 is quite horrible. Incredibly tinny, and it clearly picks up almost all possible white noise/ambient noise that clouds whatever is actually worth recording. I closed my eyes for a while, and it seriously sounds almost like command center speaking with astronauts in space who come through with a fuzzy, tinny, crackling sound lol. It also seems likely that it doesn't do well with wind noise, though that video doesn't have enough wind to tell for sure. In any case, I think it may in fact have a worse mic than my HTC Sensation, and that is really saying something.

The argument here isn't whether or not mic quality is important, because obviously for some people that is a small factor and they can get over it. The argument is that the mic quality is undeniably poor, and quite frankly you would be hard pressed to deny that.

ROM
    Stock

This looks to be something that should be fixed. I can't imagine how the audio quality would decrease from the S2.

What bothers me MUCH more is that the camera appears to be wider. Of course, that allows you to get more of a scene, but it is terrible for portraits. Everything will be too distorted up close.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

So, question now is, can this mic be fixed by an OTA software patch or is it hardware and we are just sol?

If playing back videos on hidef tv to show family, you at last want it to sound like normal tv speakers, not like an internal laptop speaker.

I'll have 14 days to check it out. If I dont like it, i'll send it back. Skip the EVO LTE and just wait for the next big thing, but no iphone5 for sure

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

ROM
    Stock

Here's the video comparing the S2 to the S3, which gets me thinking there's a glitch somewhere. They couldn't have taken it this far in the wrong direction:

21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Note: if your watching those vids on your phone or computer, the internal speakers cant really differentiate. Put some headphones on and you will definitely notice the difference in audio.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

ROM
    Stock

Sounds to me like the audio is being over-compressed. I'm sure there has to be a setting somewhere. No way the mic could be that horrible.

To be fair, the OneX audio isn't that much better. A little less tinny, perhaps, but lots of clipping and noise. The samples of the S2 on the other hand are significantly better than both. And I know from using the S2, that in a crowded concert or gymnasium, the audio was nothing to write home about.

So I'm on record that I agree that this is a serious flaw or a software glitch, and hoping it's the latter. Then again, I think I can count on one hand the number of times I've shot video with my phone.

Alright, after a lot of experiments, I found out that it's the Video recording application Encoder that got a bad equalizing and encoding...cause when I tried in other recording audio applications, quality was totally different...
    So it's not the hardware Mic of the Galaxy S3...it's not the Operating System...it's 100% the VideoCamera application on S3 need to be fixed which I believe they will do if we complained enough about it...

Just not to sound like i'm Mr. Know it all, everything i stated above came from a studio test...I'm a music producer and a sound engineer...and big fan of Samsung Galaxy Series...so that's why i decided to do a full scientific test to find out the problem and try to report it to Samsung...

Anyway in this test, I used the following:
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Macbook Pro
    Condenser Mic Shure KSM44

I used the built in Audio Recorder from S2 and S3 and also added to the test the macbook pro built in mic which supposed to be a high quality laptop mic.
    In the test there were a full song and a recorded dialogue which has only vocals in it...and kept all the devices in the same location away from the output speakers around 50cm...

This is what I got:
    S2, S3 are identical...same quality sound came out from both...The S2 sounded a bit compressed in the highs, but I could hear the mid perfectly comparing to the Macbook Pro Mic...I actually preferred the S3 Mic comparing to the other 2 devices...

PROBLEM STARTED when used the Video Camera on Full HD and recorded the same Dialogue, Song...
    What happened here, that the person who programmed the audio encoder. I believe did it based on an old complains that the S2 used to catch a lot of bass which is causing a lot of distortion when you record video in a high volume place, like a club or a concert...so the MR. Programmer instead of fixing it he made it worst...He cut all the frequences from 100hz till 1000hz and kept everything else above that...which is good to be heard on a small speaker like a phone speaker, and you can compress it to sound really high, but take it anywhere else even on a laptop, it will sound ...
    So all what they have to do is to reprogram the filter, to allow at least 90hz to 20khz or if the Mic can't take that much Low, to start from 300hz to 20khz...same programming for the built in Audio recorder in the S3...

If anyone gotta contact with the guys in Samsung...let them test what I mentioned above themselves and they will find it all right..and that's the way to fix it...

the main point is our hardware is not spoiled, and no need to go change your phone...it's just a wrong programming and will be fixed...so keep your phone, it's the best thing you ever bought!

Hope this help!

Joe Mitri

Joe,
    That is great news! Thanks for reporting that. Do you mind posting like a sample video from the 3 devices online somewhere? Very curious to see and hear it myself! Thanks again bro!

Is there any other video app able to record the whole range of frequencies?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast