Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Mikest
  • 1 Post By Prozak
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Vehicle dock fail

I am very disappointed in the Galaxy S 3 car dock. What is Samsung thinking when their official car dock is basically just a plastic holder with no audio or power ports? They did the same thing with the CDMA Galaxy Nexus. I would have purchased both of these phones as soon as they were available if they had a car dock that you could insert the phone into and have audio and power already hooked up.

Default Re: Vehicle dock fail

Do you have a link to the dock?

Global Posts
    786 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crester View Post
    Do you have a link to the dock?
    http://www.androidcentral.com/samsun...ii-accessories

Global Posts
    786 Global Posts

Its basically just a holder. You have to connect your charging and audio cables every time, which is a good argument for Bluetooth. Would be nice if someone could modify the mythical wireless charger for the SIII to work in the car like people did with the touchstone and the Palm Pre.
    Thanked by:
    Geikamir likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike 1978 View Post
    Its basically just a holder. You have to connect your charging and audio cables every time, which is a good argument for Bluetooth. Would be nice if someone could modify the mythical wireless charger for the SIII to work in the car like people did with the touchstone and the Palm Pre.
    I never had a palm pre so I didn't know that was done before, but it's an awesome idea! Wireless charging and bluetooth to the stereo system would be so boss.

Global Posts
    786 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Geikamir View Post
    I never had a palm pre so I didn't know that was done before, but it's an awesome idea! Wireless charging and bluetooth to the stereo system would be so boss.
    there was a huge thread over at WebOS nations of users who did this full of pictures of their custom installs that I cant find at the moment but it went a lot like this

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts

pretty shabby, HTC did it right with theirs. Hopefully there will be a decent third party solution, but that will probably take a while

Quote Originally Posted by booyaltz View Post
    I am very disappointed in the Galaxy S 3 car dock. What is Samsung thinking when their official car dock is basically just a plastic holder with no audio or power ports? They did the same thing with the CDMA Galaxy Nexus. I would have purchased both of these phones as soon as they were available if they had a car dock that you could insert the phone into and have audio and power already hooked up.
    It doesn't look like that dock blocks any ports... maybe they just expect people to connect directly to the phone. Or stream music with bluetooth.

ROM
    Stock

I have the Epic Touch car dock. I'm betting that with a Dremmel, I can mod it to work with the new phone. Port is in the same place.

Global Posts
    1,857 Global Posts
    ROM
    TeamSonicFreeGS3 v9.1

The touchstone cardock was amazing. People did some really cool things with the touchstone
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Just ordered the Samsung Infuse 4G dock since it works with the S3 and has micro USB/aux out!!

Somebody already got the touchstone working on the gs3. Wonder what affect it would have on NFC.

Quote Originally Posted by Tkbredx View Post
    The touchstone cardock was amazing. People did some really cool things with the touchstone
    I have been using the Palm Pre touch-stone plugged into my car charger for years, now (to power my various Palm Pre phones). When I get into my car, I just set the phone on the touchstone. My bluetooth is turned on so it automatically connects to my car, and I'm set. No wrestling plugins for the power or the audio. The system is very convenient and one of the most important things that I do NOT want to give up as I move on to the GS3. I sure hope that a similar solution comes out for the Galaxy S3.

Global Posts
    786 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by booyaltz View Post
    Just ordered the Samsung Infuse 4G dock since it works with the S3 and has micro USB/aux out!!
    This. I luckily already have an infuse car dock since it fit the GSII on sprint perfectly. Thinking about doing a mode to it so it fits even with a phone case on it. If I have success I'll post it.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Touchstone doesn't help people who don't have Bluetooth in their car and need audio from the phone going to the car speakers.

Global Posts
    786 Global Posts

It also doesn't help people with 8 track players... Time marches on.

That's the main reason i refuse to upgrade from my two year old Motorola Droid X. The car mount holds the phone securely and I even have an extra one for my motorcycle to keep my phone charged and to use for navigation on trips. As soon as Samsung comes out with something like this, I'm picking up a S III.

Quote Originally Posted by Tampaguy75 View Post
    I have been using the Palm Pre touch-stone plugged into my car charger for years, now (to power my various Palm Pre phones). When I get into my car, I just set the phone on the touchstone. My bluetooth is turned on so it automatically connects to my car, and I'm set. No wrestling plugins for the power or the audio. The system is very convenient and one of the most important things that I do NOT want to give up as I move on to the GS3. I sure hope that a similar solution comes out for the Galaxy S3.
    I have been using the touchstone mod with the s3 and its been really great.
    Thanked by 2:

Motorola has the best car docks... I don't care about the audio connector since my ford sync takes care of that.

Global Posts
    101 Global Posts

I am part of the product team here at iBOLT. Did you look at our Dock for the GS3S? You can see the product presentation at or search for it here on the site at iBOLT Vehicle Charging Dock for Samsung Galaxy S3 - Android Charging Car Cradles - ShopAndroid The Dock connects to aux-out and charging through one port. Feel free to reply and ask any questions too.

My Ibolt arrives tomorrow, can't wait to give it a try.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MikaelPe View Post
    I am part of the product team here at iBOLT. Did you look at our Dock for the GS3S? You can see the product presentation at or search for it here on the site at iBOLT Vehicle Charging Dock for Samsung Galaxy S3 - Android Charging Car Cradles - ShopAndroid The Dock connects to aux-out and charging through one port. Feel free to reply and ask any questions too.
    Currently, I can't use blue tooth while connected to audio out via headphone jack. Can you confirm that using usb port to run audio solves this issue?

My ibolt arrives tomorrow, really hoping this fixes a major issue with my S3.

Thanks!

dmmattix likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MikaelPe View Post
    Another question, on YouTube video at 3:45 mark, it's shown with home button on right side. This is preferred for me, as I want access to the power button, not the volume buttons. I am talking to someone that has one, and as far as they can tell, to use the built in plug, the home button has to be on the left side, meaning the volume buttons are accessible, not the power.

Can you comment?

How is your lock screen horizontal? Is that automatic when in the dock? Can't find the setting for it on my Siii.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyGalaxySiii View Post
    How is your lock screen horizontal? Is that automatic when in the dock? Can't find the setting for it on my Siii.
    This.

I noticed that too and he weather widget is the samsung widget wicj you cannot use with any other launcher.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk2