Prozak

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Uses i can think of right away:

-Put one on my desk at work to activate silent/vibrate mode, turn on wifi
-Put one in my car for card mode or activate GPS
-Put one near my bed for silent/sleep/alarm

Tasker does all of this. Mine is set up as below:
-M-F 7:45am-5:15pm phone goes to vibrate. Goes loud after 5:30. It looks at my calendar, and if booked, goes to silent, turns off vibrate.
-if bluetooth connects to car, launches car mode and gps on. Also have it set to send an automated text response to anyone who texts me, letting them know I am driving and will text back when it is safe to do so.. Also, a cop really liked that... Didn't give me a speeding ticket because of it.
-if plugged in after 9pm, and in a horizontal position, screen dims, phone goes silent, and alarm app activates. Also have it set for a list of emergency numbers, so if any of them call, it goes out of silent.

Other thing it does:
-launches an app menu when I plug in headphones
-mutes volume if headphones disconnect
-plays loud music and sends gps location, along with displaying emergency contact info if someone texts me SOS! (good for finding lost/stolen phone)
-if I connect to mall wifi, it launches coupons
It can do pretty much anything you can think of.

Like I said, I want a use for this, but Tasker can already do all of this, and more. Once set up, it's easier as well, because I don't have to launch any apps or touch anything. It just works.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Android Central Forums

mikesmith

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Tasker does all of this. Mine is set up as below:
-M-F 7:45am-5:15pm phone goes to vibrate. Goes loud after 5:30. It looks at my calendar, and if booked, goes to silent, turns off vibrate.
-if bluetooth connects to car, launches car mode and gps on. Also have it set to send an automated text response to anyone who texts me, letting them know I am driving and will text back when it is safe to do so.. Also, a cop really liked that... Didn't give me a speeding ticket because of it.
-if plugged in after 9pm, and in a horizontal position, screen dims, phone goes silent, and alarm app activates. Also have it set for a list of emergency numbers, so if any of them call, it goes out of silent.

Other thing it does:
-launches an app menu when I plug in headphones
-mutes volume if headphones disconnect
-plays loud music and sends gps location, along with displaying emergency contact info if someone texts me SOS! (good for finding lost/stolen phone)
-if I connect to mall wifi, it launches coupons
It can do pretty much anything you can think of.

Like I said, I want a use for this, but Tasker can already do all of this, and more. Once set up, it's easier as well, because I don't have to launch any apps or touch anything. It just works.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Android Central Forums

What happens if you take a day off from work?

Sent from my DROIDX (soon to be sent from my S3) using AC Forums App

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
What happens if you take a day off from work?

Exactly.

I'm not knocking Tasker. I used something similar back in the webOS days. It's great and offers a lot of customization. But there were always times when the "pre-set" settings didn't account for a change in routine.

With these a person can specifcally select when a change go into effect. This can have its advantages depending on how someone wants to control their phone.

-Suntan

Hilbe

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I just bought 15 tags for $17 and some change shipped from tagstand.com. People are reporting these work fine with the Samsung TecTile software, and at a fraction of the price.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I just bought 15 tags for $17 and some change shipped from tagstand.com. People are reporting these work fine with the Samsung TecTile software, and at a fraction of the price.

I have a bunch of non-tectiles and they work fine with the tectile app.

/Tapatalker

mikesmith

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Are the tectiles specific to your phone? If two people have S3s or two phones have NFC will one tectile set by one person work on both phones?

Reactions: Johnnybee

firetruck41

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I am looking forward to this. I have tasker and it works OK, but not entirely reliable, and is also difficult for me to figure out how to customize beyond the basics, I have gone back to manually changing settings, I admit that I am a little "technically challenged" and that is probably part of my issue with it.
These NFC tags are what I am looking for, one in the car for car dock, one at my locker at work to turn off wifi and ringer when I get there, one in my locker to text my wife when I am on my way home from work in the morning, one at home on the counter where I always set my phone, to turn on the ringer and wifi, one on the night stand to turn set/turn on the alarm, etc... Anyway, I can think of a handful of applications for myself.

BostonBeats88

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Are the tectiles specific to your phone? If two people have S3s or two phones have NFC will one tectile set by one person work on both phones?

My gut feeling that the Tectile has a unique identifier so that your phone recognizes the tile and internally runs its series of commands. A separate phone would see the same ID but be programmed to execute its own thing.

This is just a hypothesis and I would be curious to see the answer when we get more details outta Sammy.

Last edited:

sburggsx

May 22, 2012
Visit site
My guy feeling that the Tectile has a unique identifier so that your phone recognizes the tile and internally runs its series of commands. A separate phone would see the same ID but be programmed to execute its own thing.

This is just a hypothesis and I would be curious to see the answer when we get more details outta Sammy.

That was my thought at first. However, if these are to be able to be used by anyone say entering a store, or the link to a band's website etc. It would seem that some of the programming would have to be placed on the chip itself. That lends to muliple phones being able to do the same thing. Like one for anyone visiting your house to tap it and instantly be on your wifi etc.

I'm also thinking there could be a lot of malicious use as well. I'll be waiting to tap random stickers for a while.

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
How has this not been mentioned... anywhere?

It was. Just for the life of me I can't remember where I first heard or saw this but knew it was coming.

I see people saying Tasker already does this but loving technology as I do, I see this as "futuristic" tasker. Tasker by itself is an app. This uses NFC which makes the idea/concept pretty cool to me.

One more reason I'm looking forward to getting this phone.

Tappin' from my SGP 5.0

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
One great use of these that I'm looking forward to is to emulate the feature that my BlackBerry's have had for years - where they "know" when you holster them, and will change profile/settings based on in holster vs. out of holster. BlackBerry patented this years ago, they use a reed switch and a magnet in all BlackBerry approved holsters/cases.

When my BlackBerry goes into its holster, it puts everything except the phone into vibrate-only mode - but that's just my settings. As you pull it out of the holster, it returns to whatever profile and settings were active before being holstered.

Already planning on looking at a tag in the holster to do this! :)

BostonBeats88

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
That was my thought at first. However, if these are to be able to be used by anyone say entering a store, or the link to a band's website etc. It would seem that some of the programming would have to be placed on the chip itself. That lends to muliple phones being able to do the same thing. Like one for anyone visiting your house to tap it and instantly be on your wifi etc.

I'm also thinking there could be a lot of malicious use as well. I'll be waiting to tap random stickers for a while.

I saw a different Tectile promo and it seems like you are correct. It does not seem to be phone specific and instead tile specific. Even neater!

BostonBeats88

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I really hope there is a way to have these tiles work as some sort of toggle... let me explain.

I get into my car
Press my phone to the tile (Bluetooth On, Open Spotify , Wifi Off, GPS On etc.)
Drive to my destination
Press my phone to the same tile (BT Off, GPS off, Wifi On etc)
Go about my business

So instead of having two separate tiles in my car, I only need one. It would be the same for if you want a tile system in your house... one for when you enter and another when you leave.

Just thought it would be a cool feature and would help us conserve tiles (I already have my 5 waiting for me at home.) I want to start sticking them around even before I get my phone :cool:

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
I really hope there is a way to have these tiles work as some sort of toggle... let me explain.

I get into my car
Drive to my destination
Go about my business

So instead of having two separate tiles in my car, I only need one. It would be the same for if you want a tile system in your house... one for when you enter and another when you leave.

Just thought it would be a cool feature and would help us conserve tiles (I already have my 5 waiting for me at home.) I want to start sticking them around even before I get my phone :cool:

Based on this quote from an article I found about them yesterday, sounds like they can do what you (and I!) want them to do:
In some cases, you can mix and match tasks within the same category, so that tapping the NFC-capable phone to the sticker you've affixed to your bedside lamp turns on night mode and the alarm, and tapping it again toggles them off.
Samsung TecTiles: NFC stickers do cool stuff with your phone

Reactions: BostonBeats88

mikesmith

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site

I get into my car
Drive to my destination
Go about my business

If you watch the YouTube video posted in this thread, he shows that the tiles can be set to turn something on, turn something off, or toggle something.

He does it with his BT. Tapping the tile turned it on and tapping it again turned it off.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000