No transit directions in iOS 6

jfrebel

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Thats a deal breaker for me, as I'm visually impaired.

though I've started a petition asking apple to bring it back I highly doubt they will.

I'm thinking of trying android since I know they will have google maps which is has served me well on the iPhone. Seeing apple drop it in favor of their own map, and then leaving transit data to third parties has me very disappointed. turn by turn directions? who cares? I can't drive.

For me iOS 6 is a downgrade. Google maps an transit data are very big deal to me.

I have the iphone 4s, I use iTunes, and iCloud, I use a Mac, and am used to the iPhone, and never owned an android phone. I don't know that much about it.

I know the Galaxy 3 phone will come with the latest android software.

So can y'all tell me what I'm in for? the good and the bad?

What will I miss? what will I like? Are there ways to adapt to things I'll miss like syncing my music with iTunes.

Also can you explain it in laymans terms. I don't know what a tregra chipset is and I don't care.

I just want to know what the experience will be like. the good and the bad. how easy is android to learn?

thanks for any info and help you can provide.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Why don't you see if you can download Google Maps after the Apple switch.

You could also just stay on iOS 5 for a while of you wanted.

I know I'll get flamed for this, but Android isn't the most user friendly thing out there... Play with one for a while and see how you like it.

My Dad bought a RAZR MAXX and he struggles with it. I should have pushed him harder for the iPhone but he wanted LTE.

... Now I get daily calls. :(

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't know how good android information the visually impaired. IOS still has 3rd party apps that you can use. Plus they will feature transit specific apps in the app store.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I know I'll get flamed for this, but Android isn't the most user friendly thing out there.

I'm not going to flame you but I hear this a lot. I just don't get it. Picking up an Android or iPhone and doing all the basic things (calls, text, web, installing apps, adding contacts, rearranging icons, creating folders, etc) are all the same....or basically the same.

Even many "advanced" things are easier on Android. Navigation, adding words to the dictionary, toggling settings, sharing, stadiums a file to an email....iOS makes you jump through hoops for all of those, and it's all one button clicks in Android.

I just never bought that argument. I think it's just as easy to pick up one over the other and use it, and I find Android less painful.

First time I picked up my iPad, went to the gallery and tried to share a photo and only saw email and Twitter, I was like...where the hell is Facebook? Why can I share to twitter but not Facebook? Oh I have to go to the Facebook app? Well, 3 years later and they're finally getting Facebook integration. But not all the other options I get for sharing on Android....which is basically any app I install.

Same with first time I spent 10 minutes typing an email on my iPad then tried to attach a picture...you can't. Have to go to the picture in the gallery first and then email it. Can't do it from the email app. And can't attach more than one. In Android you can do it from either place (the gallery or the email app...and attach multiple to boot)

I guess I don't get what's so complicated about Android, even from a non techie 'my grandmother' perspective. It's only compared when you get to the super advanced stuff like custom ROMS and stuff.

FWIW, I do tech support for a living so I know how stupid people can be when it come to tech...and still don't get why people think Android is complicated.

Last edited:

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Well, Google Maps is supposedly still going to have an iOS app I believe. So you could still keep your iphone but to answer your questions.

Google Music allows you to upload your music from itunes and listen to it whether downloaded on the phone or streaming it to the phone. Mac and iCloud stuff you could put in Google Drive or Dropbox.

And you are in for one of the best devices this year if not THE best. It is one of the fastest phones on the market, the screen is big and amazing, cameras excellent, add in NFC and all Samsungs new features in TouchWiz and you have a great device.

biff6789

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm not going to flame you but I hear this a lot. I just don't get it. Picking up an Android or iPhone and doing all the basic things (calls, text, web, installing apps, adding contacts, rearranging icons, creating folders, etc) are all the same....or basically the same. <snip>

I'm with this guy. Every OS has some learning curve to it.

Usually when people talk about how easy iOS is they are only referring to the fact that you only have to tap an icon to launch an app. But ask any Apple fanboi to explain how the Android app drawer is any more complicated than the main screens on iOS and they'll be speechless :)

aristarchus

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
To the OP, I think you should start with not upgrading the phone you already have to ios 6.

Android is great, but there is a learning curve to any new phone.

hoovhartid

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
So can y'all tell me what I'm in for? the good and the bad?

What will I miss? what will I like? Are there ways to adapt to things I'll miss like syncing my music with iTunes.

I just want to know what the experience will be like. the good and the bad. how easy is android to learn?

thanks for any info and help you can provide.

there is a great article here from an iphone user who switch to android....its about the one x, but it may give you an idea of what to expect;

29 Days with Android | The Verge Forums

jfrebel

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
thanks for the replies! regarding just keeping the iphone I haven't ruled that out, but I want to be fully informed with regard to all my options before doing that or switching.

if I can I will also try to play with an android phone. also wait for iOS 6 to be released and play with that before making any moves. I'll also wait till after the iPhone 5 is announced before making any choices on this.

iMore has a good article on why apples new maps will suck for folks like me. yes you can do third party, but when you tap an address its apples maps that loads not a third parties. there will be work arounds I'm sure. hell, right now you can go access googles web app. even save an icon to the phone for one click access to the web map. I've played around with that already, in case apple won't approve a google map app, and I wound up sticking with the iphone. its doable but not the same as using the default map has been.

so there's that, then there's samsung's giant screen. for someone like me who can't see well, that'd be easier to read. apple is rumored to have a 4 inch phone, but this phone has 5 inches.

so now we got a 5 inch phone with google maps as a default. which means if I tap an address, that someone texts me, or emails me, or whatever, it will instantly load google maps.

compared to the iphone which now will have a map that then directs me to purchase a third party app that might or might not work as well as goggle maps, or I have to copy and paste the address into googles now third party app, or web app.

as for the learning curve, I should let you know I'm not a techie, wouldn't know how to root a phone or do command lines or other geeky stuff, but I also am not one of those boneheads that calls because "my coffee holder on my computer broke" (CD holder). so as long as android isn't really complicated I should be fine, and one poster here indicates that very thing.

thanks for the article from the verge. any article like that, feel free to send my way.

if anybody here has similar stories, feel free to share.

Thanks again!

jhousden9

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
so now we got a 5 inch phone with google maps as a default. which means if I tap an address, that someone texts me, or emails me, or whatever, it will instantly load google maps.

Another good thing about Android is that if you find an app that is better than the default app, then you set the new app as the default, no matter what it is. e.g. If there is a map service that is better than Google Maps (doubt there is but just as an example.) then you can replace it with the new map service.

Sent from my GT-I9300

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12