To ROOT or not to ROOT....That is the question.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Reasons I rooted my current phone:
1. Screen shots
2. Remove or Freeze Bloat
3. Tether (occasionally)

I have not tried ROMS as this is my business phone and I am hesitant to mess around with ROMing because I rely on my emails (not sure how changing roms affects the email program?).

ICS lets you take screenshots, and disable bloatware. So that leaves tethering as an unknown. Also, there are tweaks that I would like to try that necessitates rooting. With that said, I figure I will root my phone anyway. Will you be rooting and why?

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Jailbroke my iDevices, best thing I ever did. Theres a whole nother world out there iOS users have yet to see. But I'm wondering if I'll need to root my Galaxy S3 as well. It seems like everything is available without rooting.

biff6789

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
To root. Shoots, being able to run wireless tether and adfree are reasons enough to root

If that small list is all you're doing when rooted then you aren't taking full advantage of all the customization you can do with an Android device once you gain root access :)

See here for virtually endless examples of customization:

Most Viewed Screens - MyColorscreen

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I seem to like running stock for a little while.....that is until I get bored and then rooting becomes inevitable! I just like the fact that rooting opens up so many options and possibilities with your phone. It really does extend the life of your phone....at least for me it does!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I'll run stock when I get mine for a few hours to check it out but I will turn right around then and root it and install the latest and greatest ROMs on this baby... I say this only because I will be a bit late to the races on getting my SGSIII, but never the less I will have one very soon.

I soo can't wait to check out some nice kernel love for this baby...

I might actually have to pull out my dev hat again and start doing some themes again :)

Reactions: highertechnology

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I'll run stock when I get mine for a few hours to check it out but I will turn right around then and root it and install the latest and greatest ROMs on this baby... I say this only because I will be a bit late to the races on getting my SGSIII, but never the less I will have one very soon.

I soo can't wait to check out some nice kernel love for this baby...

I might actually have to pull out my dev hat again and start doing some themes again :)

Hey Paul, we're like on the same boat as far as waiting for this phone. As they say....Good things come to those who wait! I'll be following you if you put your dev hat back on! You've been a great help in the Epic 4G rooting threads so I know I can trust your expertise here as well! :)

Reactions: Paul627g

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys.. I've been thinking about it.... I really enjoyed doing themes for Touchwiz.. Its an easy UI to play with so the thought has been crossing my mind for some time to bring back some of my older work if possible and create some new ;)

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
To root. Shoots, being able to run wireless tether and adfree are reasons enough to root

If that small list is all you're doing when rooted then you aren't taking full advantage of all the customization you can do with an Android device once you gain root access :)

See here for virtually endless examples of customization:

Most Viewed Screens - MyColorscreen

Believe me I would love to ROM, my concern is my business email and how changing ROM's affects that (I would assume it wipes out your emails)? I am thinking I can link to Gmail and be able to then restore my business emails when installing a new ROM. Can someone can confirm?

biff6789

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Believe me I would love to ROM, my concern is my business email and how changing ROM's affects that (I would assume it wipes out your emails)? I am thinking I can link to Gmail and be able to then restore my business emails when installing a new ROM. Can someone can confirm?

Is your company email on exchange server?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
That is one nice thing about Sammy...

In the past with the Samsung Galaxy S line you have been able to obtain root by flashing a custom recovery using Odin & applying Superuser access from ClockWorkMod. End result is you don't wipe the device doing so. What does that mean? Well you can then use Titanium Backup or MyBackup Root to backup your apps (email app & others) & data which you can then turn around and restore once you do get on the ROM of your choice ;)

So I would using that theory you can then retain & restore your important emails from a different email application other than GMail. I would strongly urge you do have your important email imported/linked to your GMail account which isn't hard to do.

Reactions: Ricky Babalu

biff6789

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Email, it is not exchange.

Then go with Paul's suggestion above. Assuming the S3 is like most other Samsung phones, you should be able to root without wiping (so your emails WON'T be erased from the phone), then get yourself a copy of Titanium Backup (best root app ever!) and back up all your important data. Then you can wipe/flash/restore until your heart is content without having to worry about losing any of your emails.

That's another awesome part of rooting; when you root you can get a custom recovery with which you can create a nanadroid and all of your emails will be safe from whatever happens

Reactions: Ricky Babalu

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Naturally we haven't seen the exact details of rooting and such on the SGSIII yet but like all previous Samsung's it should be able to be done as before with Odin or Mobile Odin to get CWM and then from there flash the Superuser app and your in business :)