How do you get text to resize in the Web browser

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
This is deal breaker for me, and I will not get this phone. My E4GT will reflow the text the more I zoom in.

Use a different browser such as Opera Mobile or Opera Mini. IMHO these browsers are much better than stock for usability such as text reflow, speed, and other features.

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Many of the features that the galaxy s2 has were removed from this phone such as text resizing. Makes me think if I down graded buying this phone. I could pretty much zoom all the way in with my s2 and the text would resize, even if it was two words per row. I don't know why they would remove that. I have a gut feeling it was an Apple patent and they sued.

iPhone's don't do this, so it's not an Apple patent. But I can't say why the changed the behavior.

Can't say it's ever bothered me, though.

L1Wulf

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Is it possible you're thinking overview? The print is tine and all to the left side? Turn it off but leave auto-fit pages on. This will format the text to fit on screen width and zoom you in to that level on page load. These settings are under "advanced" in the default browser.

View attachment 31857

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Jaimeg123prmt

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
iPhone's don't do this, so it's not an Apple patent. But I can't say why the changed the behavior.

Can't say it's ever bothered me, though.

It, honestly, bothers me--not because the text does not resize--but because by the text not resizing, the web pages that I normally visit do not function as properly as they should or did on my E4GT. For example, csulb.edu. I am not able to select classes, make changes to my schedule, or make payments, because part of the web content is cut off or it is unclickable due to the pre-rendered text flow. This also applies to other websites. This is just maddening to me. I do 95%, if not more, of my browsing on my phone. I rarely use my laptop other than to do homework. So you can see why this is such big problem for me.

eagle63

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, this sucks. The Galaxy S2 absolutely did the text reflow thing correctly. The lack of this is one of the first things I noticed when I got the SGS3.

wowpaw

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
oh, have you guys noticed that the text actually is already set at a certain size whether you are zoomed all the way out or all the way in?

I noticed this too. Everything is already reflowed to begin with.. even if I check desktop view. A bit annoying.

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Opera browser works like my Evo did.

I'm happy now.

I'm going to check out opera on my iPad to see I'd it reflows there too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Opera Mobile is the only browser for which auto reflow works consistently on the S3. I don't really like Opera Mobile because of its use of proxy servers that slow performance. Reported the problem to Dolphin HD--hopefully they can fix it.

srschacher

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I bought my Sprint Galaxy S III yesterday, and by today I was already searching for this. I had an Epic 4g (Galaxy S). I can't believe that something as simple as this was removed. For now, I will have to live with the maximum 125% zoom setting.

Blazer

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
I like the stock browser. When you view a "mobile" web site, you do not need to reformat the text because it is already set up to fill your screen with text for each article you select.

However, if you switch to a "full" web page, like CNN's non mobile site, it is different. First you must select a specific article AND THEN wait for it to fully load. When it does, the small "Reader" icon will appear to the right of the site address. The icon is a green square with a capital R over an open book symbol. Tapping that icon brigs up the article properly formatted in a full screen, with options to increase or decrease the font size.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Mobile websites frequently lack features that I use. The green button is fine for articles but for forums it means resizing and reflowing for each separate post. Better to have the functionality that previous browsers had.

LordFoundation

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Everything you say is TRUE.
Samsung Ace 2 also has only 2 mode double tap.
I have an off-brand Chinese Tablet where double tap will do text multi-size if you try long enuf.
I have an off-brand phone with the. +- ghost button-- works great.
I am still in shock that the Sam Ace cant resize. There is app for wikipedia to resize, (reflow).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis