How do you get text to resize in the Web browser

Mac33

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I read it, but it seemed there were people saying it doesn't work or set as a default (from what I've read elsewhere too). If that is not true and it reflows everytime.. that's a plus. Guess I'll go check it out on a display model when available too.
Thanks for the confirmation!

It works man. It was the same way on the S2. Appreciate it.

rossum

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Wow. Did everyone just disregard my post? TO GET THE BROWSER TO REFLOW AFTER A DOUBLE TAP. GO TO SETTINGS, ADVANCED, AUTO-FIT PAGES.

That doesn't work.

It will reflow after a double tap, but not if you zoom in to any other amount.

As I noted above, you can set the amount of zoom compared to whatever base font size a page happens to have, and it will reflow to that zoom %, but you can't then zoom more or less and have it reflow.

The problem with this, again, is that since every page has a different base font size, you end up with some giant and some tiny fonts when you double tap zoom. Since there's no way to zoom more or less than that and have the page reflow, the browser is unusable.

Every other Android browser I've tried will reflow to arbitrary zooms, this one doesn't.

Reactions: soulsmilen

soulsmilen

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
That doesn't work.

It will reflow after a double tap, but not if you zoom in to any other amount.

As I noted above, you can set the amount of zoom compared to whatever base font size a page happens to have, and it will reflow to that zoom %, but you can't then zoom more or less and have it reflow.

The problem with this, again, is that since every page has a different base font size, you end up with some giant and some tiny fonts when you double tap zoom. Since there's no way to zoom more or less than that and have the page reflow, the browser is unusable.

Every other Android browser I've tried will reflow to arbitrary zooms, this one doesn't.

That's what I thought I was understanding, and it makes me want to cry. I was 90% sure I was getting the S3, but....

I can't believe there isn't multiple threads on this..maybe we're just spoiled?

Last edited:

GK3K

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
I've been using ICS Browser+ that I came across after updating my ASUS Transformer to ICS.

ICS Browser+ automatically re-flows's text. It also has finger controls, so you don't even need to use the capacitive buttons.

edgefever

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
on Page 16 posted by Blitz 118 at 5:06 pm on 6-8-2012 is a video. Sorry but I don't know how to link it. Title of thread is no text reflow in browser.

Last edited:

PamelaBB

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
If memory serves me correct some browser features (text resizing and locked scrolling) that make reading easier were disabled thanks to the apple lawsuits for samsung phones that's why other phone brands have some better browser readability.

Last edited:

wowpaw

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site

soulsmilen

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I went to Sprint and played with the display model and every page I went to reflows fine. Even when zooming after double tap, there were no problems. I checked the settings and all were as suggested here, so maybe it won't be an issue for me, especially using Chrome or another browser for general use.

I'm probably switching to AT&T though (even though I don't wanna), so will try again this weekend when they have a display model to try out. It shouldn't be any different, but we'll see.

rossum

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Yes, it reflows ONCE after a double tap.

The problem is that it doesn't reflow after you zoom to any other amount.

iPhone works the same way, so I don't think it would be an Apple lawsuit that's changing the behavior.

The HTC Evo 4G LTE works properly.

Again, the problem with "just using Chrome" is that it doesn't integrate fully, so any programs which open a browser window will still open the stock factory browser.

stevekat

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I CANNOT BELIEVE one cannot set text to reflow automatically when manually zooming a webpage like the HTC Evo. I have the S III already, and finding the web almost impossible to use. I am not going to scroll each sentence back and forth to read a web page. I do not understand what Samsung was thinking - the device is so elegant in so many ways - perhaps there is something being missed. How can they make this mistake? The phone may go back and I'll get the new Evo if HTC retained this feature - the issue is a big enough deal.

The Autofit does not solve this.

Mac33

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Well that's a issue with all browsers. Download Opera Mobile if you want that feature. I don't understand how the double tap isn't enough. Good luck you guys!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

rossum

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
It's an issue apparently only on the GSIII.

On the HTC Evo 4G LTE I verified that this works fine.

So, as much as I would like 2GB of RAM and a removable battery, I will probably get the HTC, since it is at least fully usable.

Jascias

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
As long as I remember HTC is the only android phones that uses correct reflow text....all the other android phones uses zoom text that is similar to the iPhone. HTC's copy and paste is also superior.

edgefever

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
My LG Optimus S also reflows properly, as do all the other Android phones I've played with.
I feel your pain. I I've had a Tbolt for for a year and a half, don't know if I can live without it. sg3 getting delivered tomorrow, played with one at tmobile today what a let down.