How do you get text to resize in the Web browser

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
To have them open in a readable view look in browser settings to disable "open in over view" . If already on a page double tap zooms in to a standard size, pitch to zoom can be used to fine tune if necessary.

fupayme

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Open Browser > Menu button > Settings (at bottom of list - have to scroll to it) > Accessibility

Thanks, I never thought of scrolling for it! I did find it and change the setting, however, the text on the web pages still doesn't re-fit itself to the screen size. Kinda frustrating.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
When you double-tap the screen do you get the one article you tap on to come up in a new page as a single article? That makes the font fine for my eyes. I also noted that there is the option of choosing a font size percentage. The default is 100 but that is in the middle of the slider so I am guessing you should be able to increase to about 200 if you choose to.

fupayme

May 19, 2010
Visit site
When you double-tap the screen do you get the one article you tap on to come up in a new page as a single article? That makes the font fine for my eyes. I also noted that there is the option of choosing a font size percentage. The default is 100 but that is in the middle of the slider so I am guessing you should be able to increase to about 200 if you choose to.

This is great for making the page more readable true, but I'm struggling to find a text-wrap setting that I'm used to from HTC.

rossum

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I tested a GSIII in a T-Mobile store and I was able to get the text to re-wrap to fit the screen when I zoomed in once via double tap, but it would not reformat again when I zoomed in more.

I really need this feature, because sometimes I find pages too small to read. Can text on a GSIII be made to re-wrap to any font size, or is that feature somehow not working?

rossum

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I just talked to Samsung and they confirmed that the browser on this phone will not reformat or reflow text when you zoom in and out.

For some reason, they removed that feature from the browser.

Crazy. Now I can't buy this phone

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Or you CAN buy the phone, because we all know you WANT it ;) And use Dolphin or Opera or other 3rd party browser where you can do what you need to do.

I am finding a number of phone features that at&t has arbitrarily blocked including visual voice mail for example. They charge you for it but you can't have it with the S3 because they killed it in there firmware ROM. Nice --- NOT:mad:

jdk2

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Or you CAN buy the phone, because we all know you WANT it ;) And use Dolphin or Opera or other 3rd party browser where you can do what you need to do.

I am finding a number of phone features that at&t has arbitrarily blocked including visual voice mail for example. They charge you for it but you can't have it with the S3 because they killed it in there firmware ROM. Nice --- NOT:mad:
Rethink Possible :D

rossum

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

The problem with using another browser is that you can only use it for some things, unless ICS fixed that issue.

For instance, I found that with Android 2.3, I can use Opera for browsing, but if I then try to click on a video, it won't play, while it will using the stock browser. Other things also seem to be problematic: somehow the stock browser is just integrated better.

If you tell me that I can install Chrome on an GSIII and it will fully take over every aspect of the browser functionality, that would work. But the Samsung rep I spoke with agreed with me when I said that an aftermarket browser wouldn't fully integrate.

Another example of this issue is applications which embed the browser, such as Reddit is Fun or Diode: they open an embedded browser window, and can open window in the actual browser, but they seem to be limited to only using the stock browser, not any other one that you downloaded and installed. Since I waste far too much time using Reddit, this is important for me too.

fupayme

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I installed Google Chrome and it does a better job of sorting the text when you bump up the sixe of text in the settings. It's not "text wrap" or "text flow" but its not bad. Again, hopefully, they can solve this with an update.

soulsmilen

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Same here on that issue.. I'm debating between S3 and the Evo, and if I can't get integrated browsing with 'real' webpage formatting, it's the deal breaker. No way I'm going to scroll and/or resize all the time just to read something.

I rarely use a laptop or desktop at home anymore, my phone is my computer for the web. I saw this on one of the reviews and hoped someone would find a way around it.

For those that use Chrome, can it be set to true default browser, or will apps still point to the stock browser?

soulsmilen

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Wow. Did everyone just disregard my post? TO GET THE BROWSER TO REFLOW AFTER A DOUBLE TAP. GO TO SETTINGS, ADVANCED, AUTO-FIT PAGES.

I read it, but it seemed there were people saying it doesn't work or set as a default (from what I've read elsewhere too). If that is not true and it reflows everytime.. that's a plus. Guess I'll go check it out on a display model when available too.
Thanks for the confirmation!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888