Screen in Direct Sun

arizonamman

May 26, 2012
Visit site
So many reviews, blogs, podcasts say they love it but occasionally someone says there are better screens for direct sun. :eek:
Other than the reflection (that I hope to minimize getting blue and using Steinheil), please rate the visibility in the sun on a 1-10 scale.

I've seen the HOX in the sun and taken vids while looking through the screen in the sun.
If you have also seen the HOX screen in the sun, please compare with HOX being a 10.
Thanks!
:)

hounddogdaddy

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Coming from an EVO3D this has much better direct sunlight viewing. It is also better when viewed through polarized glasses.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

mfriedman79

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I'd give it a 6 maybe a 7. it's visible but not easy to see. My GS2 had much better direct sunlight visibility...well assuming the light sensor eventually adjusted the brightness :).

Reactions: arizonamman

pcotton

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
4, it is difficult to sure in bright sunlight. Eg, when it's sunny and I'm talkin through town, I can barely see the screen. While it's annoying, its not a deal breaker. Every else is too damn good!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
AMOLED screens all suffer poorer visibility in bright sunlight compared to LCD's, it's just a factor of the technology. I'm able to use mine in bright sun with my set 50% brightness. The screen does look awfully dark but it's certainly still usable. Jacking it up to 100% makes it much easier to see but obviously drains battery life more. My Droid 2 screen is definitely much easier to see in bright sun, but it's a TFT LCD. Either way it's not a deal breaker.... unless of course you live in the caribbean and work outdoors all day long :p

Rev.

bassmig

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Coming from a BB Storm this screen is amazingly easy to read in direct sunlight with or without my polarized glasses on. I have it set to aut adjust screen brightness. I have no complaints over the screen whatsoever actually. I love this thing!

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
This has always seemed like a non-issue. How often are you tasking in direct sunlight? Even a magazine would be hard to see with a super bright light shining off of it. I live in CA so maybe it's just in my DNA to not stand outside in the sun and fiddle with things :)

Sent from my ICE CREAM SANDWICH (CM9) powered DROID X2 using Android Central Forums

jerseygirl

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I think this screen is actually pretty good in sunlight. I turned around to face the sun at various angles and at no time was I unable to see the screen.

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
There's a sun?

Lol.

I haven't been out much with mine yet. & I'm usually in shaded areas. Florida is too hot to be in direct sunlight.

albertdc

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Coming from a BB Storm this screen is amazingly easy to read in direct sunlight with or without my polarized glasses on. I have it set to aut adjust screen brightness. I have no complaints over the screen whatsoever actually. I love this thing!

This is exciting for me to hear! I went from the Storm to a Droid X and now have a Verizon S3 on order, but was worried about the screen. If it its better in the sunlight than the Storm, that is usable enough.

To the post wondering why it is an issue, for me there are 2 reasons. I often have to answer calls or texts for work, taking notes, looking things up, and placing calls even when outside riding my bike or playing golf. It is VERY sunny here in Salt Lake so visibility is important.
I also have a golf GPS program so I "need" to be able to see the screen in the sunlight to see how far I have to the pin. ;)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

arizonamman

May 26, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Everyone!
The HOX had a brilliant screen in the sun. Seeing the screen while taking pix and vids was an awesome experience. Sadly, SENSE drove me nuts, the UI did not provide consistent behavior and I had to be way too careful picking up the phone from the front because the sensitivity of the screen (regardless of settings) always changed to the running apps screen.
I returned it and have been extensively looking at the SIII and waiting on *real* user reviews. I realize now that I must wait for the next Nexus.
Thanks again!
:)

arizonamman

May 26, 2012
Visit site
This has always seemed like a non-issue. How often are you tasking in direct sunlight? Even a magazine would be hard to see with a super bright light shining off of it. I live in CA so maybe it's just in my DNA to not stand outside in the sun and fiddle with things :)

Sent from my ICE CREAM SANDWICH (CM9) powered DROID X2 using Android Central Forums

Almost always in the sun.

Fisack23

May 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm out in the sun enough to have it bother me. The biggest problem is when I'm either answering the phone or trying to call someone - I can't see who is calling me (or worse) whom I am calling.

I'm coming from a Pre, which was easy to see in direct sunlight. I do have to say, however, that other than the bright sunlight deal, I am enjoying this phone.

(I'm in Florida, and I like the heat!)

neiljay6

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
With the screen set to 50 - 100% brightness, no problem. However if i have my screen set to auto brightness and i go from a dark room or location into the sun, then i do have some real problems seeing. Therefore if know i will have to go out in bright sunlight i will use notification bar and set brightness to 50 - 100%. After that no problems

BostonBeats88

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm, I might have to disagree, I found it pretty dim in direct sunlight. Not unreadable, just a bit of a strain to use. And yes, impossible with sunglasses on. I think my HTC TB was a lot better in bright lighting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37