Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Suntan
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default NFC and extra batteries... will they play nicely?

I understand that with the s3 the NFC chip is located in the battery. Will the cheap $3 batteries on ebay be compatible with NFC or will I have to pay extra for OEM batteries? Also, will I encounter any NFC related issues when swapping batteries?

Sent from my OG EVO using Android Central Forums

For the nexus you needed to find nfc batteries. They make them just not sure if for the s3 just yet

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

I believe the S3 has the same battery as the VzW version of the GNex (2100mAh) which has integrated NFC

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Default Re: NFC and extra batteries... will they play nicely?

Is there an "extended" battery with NFC that will fit under the back cover, or does anyone think there will be?

Quote Originally Posted by seabass View Post
    Is there an "extended" battery with NFC that will fit under the back cover, or does anyone think there will be?
    Yeh i also wanted to know this... there are a few fake ones on ebay... but im holding out for a official one

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by LtMoistLips View Post
    I believe the S3 has the same battery as the VzW version of the GNex (2100mAh) which has integrated NFC

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    Now this would be cool. Is there anyone that has confirmed this yet?
    ΣΛΤ ΜΣ

Global Posts
    256 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP 4.2.1

Quote Originally Posted by ibleedbloo View Post
    I understand that with the s3 the NFC chip is located in the battery. Will the cheap $3 batteries on ebay be compatible with NFC or will I have to pay extra for OEM batteries? Also, will I encounter any NFC related issues when swapping batteries?

Sent from my OG EVO using Android Central Forums
    I have yet to see a cheap nfc battery on ebay (that is actually real). Only oem batteries have the nfc chip installed, that I am aware of. I wish the S2 batteries had fit the S3, since I have several.

If anyone can confirm the GNex has the same battery, that would be very helpful.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Do most phones incorporate there nfc chips into their batteries? Or is this something only samsung does?

Sent from my OG EVO.

This is the cheapest NFC battery I have found so far. Its not cheap.

Samsung Standard OEM Battery (2100mA) with NFC for Galaxy S3 III at MobileCityOnline.com

Not sure exactly how the wireless charging will work, but the back cover will be replaced with another cover that has a coil and contact points that will touch the contact points on/near the battery, so a non-standard battery might not work.

What is the general consensus about getting the non-OEM batteries if you don't care about NFC?

I don't care about NFC, but I don't want the phone nagging me or getting funny because it doesn't have feedback from the NFC chip.

-Suntan

Quote Originally Posted by jimbomcm View Post
    Not sure exactly how the wireless charging will work, but the back cover will be replaced with another cover that has a coil and contact points that will touch the contact points on/near the battery, so a non-standard battery might not work.
    If the induction charging works the same as all the others, then it doesn't matter.

The induction coils provide the power to the phone, the phone charges the battery. The battery doesn't care if you use a USB plug, induction charger, or a fancy off-the-grid solar panel designed by Ed Bagley Jr. himself.

-Suntan

post deleted
    Last edited by Tarototh; 09-05-2013 at 03:37 PM.

i just bought a 3800mah for 4 dollars for my samsung S5 im worried too , but on the same token u can turn off NFC on the phone ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tina Williams s5 View Post
    im worried too
    I'd also be worried if were entrusting my $700 phone to a $4 battery.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by GSDer View Post
    I'd also be worried if were entrusting my $700 phone to a $4 battery.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
    HAHAHA

A good battery with the NFC antenna is going to cost about $20. Such as a RAVpower, Anker, Samsung, etc.
    Thread might be old, but it can't hurt to repeat.
    Samsung Galaxy S3 4gLTE

ROM
    Stock

I have used non oem batteries quite a bit. The cheaper you go, the more likely the battery will fail. You won't find nfc on really cheap batteries. I recommend second tier batteries like no lemon. Usually work as well if not better than my oem.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.1.2

I've used generic, Anker, Hyperion and Zerolemon. Anker and Zerolemon were the best in my opinion and lasted the longest. The generic and Hyperion started to fade after a month or two of use. The Anker has NFC and works fine. I always buy extended batteries for my phones, I like the extra bulk and the peace of mind since I am a battery obsessed person like that. 😉

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3
    What?!...I'm msndrstood.

Sent via Note 2