Opening Instagram/SoundCloud etc. Links With The App

dowhtiwnt

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi, new EVO 4G LTE user here. I like (love?) my E4GLTE, but it's really bothering me that links to popular services like Instagram, SoundCloud, YouTube, the Play Store, etc. do not open up with the app (when the relevant app installed). Instead, it sends me to the web app, and it's really annoying. For this and a couple of other reasons, I'm thinking about making the switch to the Samsung Galaxy SIII. For those who have the SIII, can you open links with their respective apps, or are you routed to the web app?

Thanks!!

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Evend better... on here you can choose which one you want you want to use (Chrome, web, or the actual app like Instagram)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Yea I've been noticing that since I got my EVO 4G LTE as well. Hopefully there's a setting or something we're missing.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Prozak

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Yea I've been noticing that since I got my EVO 4G LTE as well. Hopefully there's a setting or something we're missing.

Go into settings, there is an "app association" option. I think you can tell the phone what to use to open things. I believe this may solve your issue?

Sent from my DINC2: Electric Boogaloo

dowhtiwnt

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggrey

Go into settings, there is an "app association" option. I think you can tell the phone what to use to open things. I believe this may solve your issue?

Sent from my DINC2: Electric Boogaloo

Unfortunately, there's no option for these apps under "App Associations."

Zaisaroni

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
This is from the Apple lawsuit with HTC. They aren't allowed to link between apps from hyperlinks, and have added HTCLinkifyDispatch that keeps the normal ICS behavior at bay.

There are some build.prop edits that make links work like the GNex and SGS3. IIRC it took me one line change to make my now returned HOX work right. A root and build.prop editor and you're all set...

The worst was YouTube for me... Utterly annoying that Google can't link between ita own apps on its own OS because of a court ruling.

JanezV

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Hey there,
I have the same problem with SoundCloud links (using nexus 4, Kitkat). every time i open a soundcloud link from Chrome browser the link opens in the Chrome browser instead of the Soundcloud app. I cleared the browser defaults and installed Default App Manager but nothing worked for me so far... Any suggestions?

KR

swohguy4u

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
This is an old question and I am sure many have newer phones. I have an HTC One M8 and the only app that will not launch for me is Instagram. I have even tried sending my instagram URL in an email and I dont get the prompt like I have with every other app, to choose between Chrome or Instagram. It has to be a bug in the app itself because like I said all the others work. You sometimes see a web page come up but it immediately closes and the app is launched.