1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Opening Instagram/SoundCloud etc. Links With The App

Hi, new EVO 4G LTE user here. I like (love?) my E4GLTE, but it's really bothering me that links to popular services like Instagram, SoundCloud, YouTube, the Play Store, etc. do not open up with the app (when the relevant app installed). Instead, it sends me to the web app, and it's really annoying. For this and a couple of other reasons, I'm thinking about making the switch to the Samsung Galaxy S3. For those who have the SIII, can you open links with their respective apps, or are you routed to the web app?

Thanks!!

Global Posts
    1,857 Global Posts
    ROM
    TeamSonicFreeGS3 v9.1

Evend better... on here you can choose which one you want you want to use (Chrome, web, or the actual app like Instagram)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Yea I've been noticing that since I got my EVO 4G LTE as well. Hopefully there's a setting or something we're missing.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Jaggrey View Post
    Yea I've been noticing that since I got my EVO 4G LTE as well. Hopefully there's a setting or something we're missing.

Go into settings, there is an "app association" option. I think you can tell the phone what to use to open things. I believe this may solve your issue?

Sent from my DINC2: Electric Boogaloo
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Default Re: Opening Instagram/SoundCloud etc. Links With The App

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jaggrey

Go into settings, there is an "app association" option. I think you can tell the phone what to use to open things. I believe this may solve your issue?

Unfortunately, there's no option for these apps under "App Associations."

Quote Originally Posted by dowhtiwnt View Post
    Unfortunately, there's no option for these apps under "App Associations."
    Bummer. There has got to be something telling your phone to use the Web Site and not app... Very weird

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

This is from the Apple lawsuit with HTC. They aren't allowed to link between apps from hyperlinks, and have added HTCLinkifyDispatch that keeps the normal ICS behavior at bay.

There are some build.prop edits that make links work like the GNex and SGS3. IIRC it took me one line change to make my now returned HOX work right. A root and build.prop editor and you're all set...

The worst was YouTube for me... Utterly annoying that Google can't link between ita own apps on its own OS because of a court ruling.

I don't understand why that behavior is allowed on other Android devices but not on the HTCs?
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by Jaggrey View Post
    I don't understand why that behavior is allowed on other Android devices but not on the HTCs?
    I'm with you

Facebook Links fixes the app associations you can't reach. This really made my Facebook browsing so much less painful on my Galaxy Nexus.

Also try the Viral Floating YouTube pop-up. It keeps playing the video even when you are doing something else.

Hey there,
    I have the same problem with SoundCloud links (using nexus 4, Kitkat). every time i open a soundcloud link from Chrome browser the link opens in the Chrome browser instead of the Soundcloud app. I cleared the browser defaults and installed Default App Manager but nothing worked for me so far... Any suggestions?

KR