Button Remapping?

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so I've read about how you don't get the ICS quick change button on the new SIii.

Questions 1 is there a way to remap the Menu button so that is does the quick change feature?

2 is there a way to then, the double tap home button feature to get GOOGLE Voice Search/Actions?

3 is there a way that I can add on screen ICS buttons like on the Galaxy Nexus? And then make the hardware home button do something else?

Do I need apps? Rooting?

Thanks!

Sent from my Incredible.
Aw yeah.

Edit: MODERATOR, can you please remove my previous post named " bottom remapping? " I typed in the wrong subject, thank you!

Oli2k

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so I've read about how you don't get the ICS quick change button on the new SIii.

Questions 1 is there a way to remap the Menu button so that is does the quick change feature?

2 is there a way to then, the double tap home button feature to get GOOGLE Voice Search/Actions?

3 is there a way that I can add on screen ICS buttons like on the Galaxy Nexus? And then make the hardware home button do something else?

Do I need apps? Rooting?

Thanks!

Sent from my Incredible.
Aw yeah.

Edit: MODERATOR, can you please remove my previous post named " bottom remapping? " I typed in the wrong subject, thank you!

With Go Launcher you can change some of the button settings.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
The actual capacitive and home key buttons will require root access to modify the mapping of them.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Android Central Forums

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, guys, I guess I'll look into the rooting section.
I'll also see what I can do with Go Launcher.

Is there a hardware shortcut that I can use to go to Voice Search, or would that be what would need root access? Like, can I make the short cut that goes to s-voice go to Voice Search.

Oh, and I created 2 threads cuz the first had the wrong title and I didn't figure a way to edit it from my phone.
Sent from my Incredible.
Aw yeah.

snoopyandroid

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Oh, and I created 2 threads cuz the first had the wrong title and I didn't figure a way to edit it from my phone.
Sent from my Incredible.
Aw yeah.

Ok, that's acceptable. :D There's been a few threads that have been posted twice or more.

Not sure how it works on a smartphone (I'm getting the S3 this week, ya!), but if you edit your own post and go to advanced (or something like that), you can then change the post title.

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
yeah, it was weird, and when i finally went to the edit menu, i could only edit the body of the thread, not the title.

thanks for the tip!

SO, yeah, I want to get ICS as much as possible, and I would like to try the onscreen ICS buttons. I guess rooting will allow me to try that. ALthough, I don't mind having the extra screen real-estate. and i don't mind having a menu button, and i wouldn't really mind having to double tap the home key for the quick change menu, or recently used apps menu, my main thing is being able to NOT use S-Voice and to use Google Voice Search.

tomkind80

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

Do I need apps? Rooting?

Thanks!

Sent from my Incredible.
Aw yeah.

You need Nova Launcher Prime https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...me&feature=more_from_developer&token=BYt9xveL. It wont give you on screen ICS buttons, but it will do the other things you want. Right now I'm set up like this: Single press home button-> Go to home screen, double press home button-> launch Google search (same as pressing the magnifying glass on older Android phones), long press menu button-> launch Google Voice Search, double tap home screen-> launch S-Voice, swipe up on home screen-> launch app drawer, swipe down on home screen-> expand notification bar.

You can customize any of those things to launch any app, any shortcut or launch recents, or really anything you want. It's ridiculously customizable. It costs $4, but it's 1000% worth it, IMO. I had TouchWiz on mine for about the first 30 minutes I had it lol

Reactions: Funkpod

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
You need Nova Launcher Prime https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...me&feature=more_from_developer&token=PJxss-O-. It wont give you on screen ICS buttons, but it will do the other things you want. Right now I'm set up like this: Single press home button-> Go to home screen, double press home button-> launch Google search (same as pressing the magnifying glass on older Android phones), long press menu button-> launch Google Voice Search, double tap home screen-> launch S-Voice, swipe up on home screen-> launch app drawer, swipe down on home screen-> expand notification bar.

You can customize any of those things to launch any app, any shortcut or launch recents, or really anything you want. It's ridiculously customizable. It costs $4, but it's 1000% worth it, IMO. I had TouchWiz on mine for about the first 30 minutes I had it lol

THANK YOU, awesome!

that is what i'm looking for! i could maybe press menu button for recent quick change apps, and long press for menu?
i like google voice search a lot, i think i do, at least, haha.

I definitely love launchers and will be trying out NOVA and APEX. question, how do they run on the sIII? on my incredible it's mostly smooth, except sometimes there is lagginess and sometimes it takes a couple seconds to redraw the widgets, etc.

thank you again!

Cruiserdude

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Button remapping is relatively easily accomplished on a rooted device, but you have to know what you are doing. If you're not familiar with it, this isn't the place to explain it, but I would certainly expect to see this functionality come soon in the form of flashable zips. I for one would love to change the menu button to recent apps, or possibly switch the two around to put back and recent apps where they are supposed to be, but then the backlights are off...

As far as on-screen buttons, the AOSP roms (CM9 and AOKP) will allow you to do that quite easily. And they're pretty heavily customizable, at that. It's cool to have the functionality, but frankly its very annoying to still have the legacy buttons below it, even if you disable them. To be quite honest, I love having on-screen buttons, but it makes me want to chop off the bottom of my phone that has become redundant. Given Samsung's focus on "distinctive" hardware button design, I'd imagine this would be even more annoying on the S3 than most other phones.

I sorely wish Samsung had made the concept with on-screen buttons instead, but it doesn't make sense to give up screen real estate to put them on there, and still have the damn physical buttons below.

Reactions: 21plays

Cadenz

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Would it be possible to just hit "clear defaults" for S voice in the application manager? And then double tap the home button and select Google voice search as the new default action?

zack7687

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
You need Nova Launcher Prime https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...me&feature=more_from_developer&token=GyUR_NuY. It wont give you on screen ICS buttons, but it will do the other things you want. Right now I'm set up like this: Single press home button-> Go to home screen, double press home button-> launch Google search (same as pressing the magnifying glass on older Android phones), long press menu button-> launch Google Voice Search, double tap home screen-> launch S-Voice, swipe up on home screen-> launch app drawer, swipe down on home screen-> expand notification bar.

Where in Nova's settings can you adjust this?

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Rather than change the buttons themselves there are also multiple gesture settings in both Apex and Nova (as well as others). For example, swipe up, swipe down, 2-finger swipes, desktop double tap, etc.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
You need Nova Launcher Prime https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...me&feature=more_from_developer&token=QPrMv_PO. It wont give you on screen ICS buttons, but it will do the other things you want. Right now I'm set up like this: Single press home button-> Go to home screen, double press home button-> launch Google search (same as pressing the magnifying glass on older Android phones), long press menu button-> launch Google Voice Search, double tap home screen-> launch S-Voice, swipe up on home screen-> launch app drawer, swipe down on home screen-> expand notification bar.

Actually you can do all of that in the free version of Apex Launcher :)

Reactions: Funkpod

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
With Go Launcher you can change some of the button settings.

how is it done with go launcher mate? what settings is it in? thanks :)

p.s i want my bottom remapped :p

pps what i REALLY want is a single short tap of home button for multitasking. hate that 2second wait :(

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
How do I do that in Apex? I've been staring at the options under Behavior settings for 5 minutes and couldn't find anything for the Menu button.

Yeah sorry. You can't actually change the buttons in apex. I don't think you can in any apps. In order to remap buttons I believe you must be rooted but hey if it truly works in nova then maybe I was wrong.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781