Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

Exclamation Speed up your Galaxy S3 in 2 easy steps

*Guys I felt the phone was buttery smooth, but on certain occasions I.e. lock screen ripple transition into opening your home screen and toggling between messages in the messaging app, the transition would s stutter just a tiny bit. Problem is solved if you go into:1. Settings-> developer options-> and Window animation scale and Transition Animation scale -> change both of those to 0.5x (or 0 for both, for instant reactions). The phone now runs like the beast it was born to be. Try it and let make know your thoughts. Please hit the thanks button if this helps you. Regards, Nik
    Thanked by 52:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Speed up your Galaxy S3 in 2 easy steps

Hey thanks for the tip, man! My TMo GSIII is tearing it up now! Take that iPhone 4S (and iPhone 5 too)!!!
    FiliGoddess likes this.

What's that doing? Why wouldn't it be set there already? And why do the options go so high?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by artofdesign View Post
    What's that doing? Why wouldn't it be set there already? And why do the options go so high?
    Thanks.
    Actually this is nothing really new. On all android phones if you decrease the animation settings you'll speed up the phone. Think about powerpoint and when you have slide transitions and you can change the speed so you can move quicker or turn It off altogether. They usually have it set at some sort of default so they can show how "fancy" the phone can be. When at the end of the day cute transitions are not necessary. Just fluff to make it look cool.
    frohoss and FiliGoddess like this.
    ΣΛΤ ΜΣ

Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP 4.2.1

Awesome. Muchas gracias.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by niknag83 View Post
    Guys I felt the phone was buttery smooth, but on certain occasions I.e. lock screen ripple transition into opening your home screen and toggling between messages in the messaging app, the transition would s stutter just a tiny bit. Problem is solved if you go into:
    1. Settings-> developer options-> and Window animation scale and Transition Animation scale -> change both of those to .5x
    The phone now runs like the beast it was born to be. Try it and let make know your thoughts. Regards, Nik
    At first I put it on 5x and I was like what the hell did I do? then I went back and reread the post and changed it to 0.5x, now it's really snappy. Thanks

Send from my Samsung Galaxy S lll
    Thanked by:
    beh

Global Posts
    620 Global Posts

Just don't accidently touch one of the "have screen flash" options and observe the unexpected results LOL. Don't ask how I know this

Global Posts
    2,121 Global Posts
    ROM
    TeamSonicFreeGS3 v9.1

Saw that when I first got it and thought it might have something to do with the boot screen when you turn the phine on lol. But thanks man. Does it affect anything other than speed though?
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tkbredx View Post
    Saw that when I first got it and thought it might have something to do with the boot screen when you turn the phine on lol. But thanks man. Does it affect anything other than speed though?
    So far I haven't had any adverse effects...the performance gains with no noticeable impact to battery has been very impressive.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    4,620 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I actually moved it up to 1.5 it looks prettier that way to me. I did try the 0.5 though. The messaging app is still laggy, no matter what the setting.

How about the force gpu acceleration for 2d apps. It might be a placebo effect but the pulse app seems smoother.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Good tip, the home button didn't seem as responsive as my iPhone4 but now its pretty darn close. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by basslevel View Post
    Hey thanks for the tip, man! My TMo GSIII is tearing it up now! Take that iPhone 4S (and iPhone 5 too)!!!
    I just got a chance to play with the t mobile version version and I was very impressed. This phone is is way faster than the One X I had and and he browser is light years better. All those reviewers out there saying that it's really close between between the two are simply being politically correct. The GSIII is much better out of of the box. I was really surprised how much better it it was.

*Guys I felt the phone was buttery smooth, but on certain occasions I.e. lock screen ripple transition into opening your home screen and toggling between messages in the messaging app, the transition would s stutter just a tiny bit. Problem is solved if you go into:1. Settings-> developer options-> and Window animation scale and Transition Animation scale -> change both of those to 0.5x (or 0 for both, for instant reactions). The phone now runs like the beast it was born to be. Try it and let make know your thoughts. Please hit the thanks button if this helps you. Regards, Nik

thanks sooo much, im seeing noticable improvments in everywhere except my homescreens!
    Thanked by:

Thanks for the tip!
    -Motorola Droid X -> Samsung Galaxy S2 -> Samsung Galaxy S3

Samsung should have simply skipped S Voice, imho, or at least made it available through the Samsung Hub, rather than preloaded on the device. It attracts alot of negative attention from Apple themselves and their fanbois, is lawsuit fodder, and is frankly redundant. Google Voice Search/Actions was already more useful than Siri for many users, and now with the massive improvements in Jellybean, I don't see even Samsung keeping it around.

At least it can be completely disabled, and isn't forcibly baked into the entire ROM.

Quote Originally Posted by bmanilow13 View Post
    Good tip, the home button didn't seem as responsive as my iPhone4 but now its pretty darn close. Thanks!
    Did you turn off the double-tap S-voice feature? That may help as well

Global Posts
    149 Global Posts

this is what led me away from android because you have to turn off so many features for the phone to run smooth. i will be getting my s3 soon though because i had to upgrade before 6/28 verizon D-Day for unlimited data and the iphone 4s 3.5" screen is too small but i'm worried reading threads like this that even with faster processors and and ics a year after i left android it's just about the same situation

Quote Originally Posted by pamela80 View Post
    this is what led me away from android because you have to turn off so many features for the phone to run smooth. i will be getting my s3 soon though because i had to upgrade before 6/28 verizon D-Day for unlimited data and the iphone 4s 3.5" screen is too small but i'm worried reading threads like this that even with faster processors and and ics a year after i left android it's just about the same situation
    Well, the thing is, some of those features aren't exactly part of Android. Instead, they're manufacturer customizations which some might find nice, but are in no way essential, and lean towards "bloatware."
    Thanked by:

That's exactly WHY I left iOS! Ability to control and customize is NOT a bad thing!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by 4:
    GrooveRite and lv2bsilly like this.

Did this and took the suggestion from wowpaw. It worked and the home button seems more responsive.

Global Posts
    149 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PookiePrancer View Post
    Well, the thing is, some of those features aren't exactly part of Android. Instead, they're manufacturer customizations which some might find nice, but are in no way essential, and lean towards "bloatware."
    hello, thanks for replying, i understand what you are saying, but at this point google should know what goes on the phones by now by manufacturers and have this worked out because only the nexus line doesn't have the bloatware and there are tons of android phones i'm hoping that butter fixes this problem and we don't have to wait too long to get it because i'm really looking forward to getting the s3 in my mailbox mid july
    beh

Global Posts
    620 Global Posts

hello, thanks for replying, i understand what you are saying, but at this point google should know what goes on the phones by now by manufacturers and have this worked out because only the nexus line doesn't have the bloatware and there are tons of android phones i'm hoping that butter fixes this problem and we don't have to wait too long to get it because i'm really looking forward to getting the s3 in my mailbox mid july
    I feel the whole point of Android is that it is open to customization by anyone from software writer to the user. No one makes the final decision about how "my" phone works but "me" if I choose to take advantage of the seemingly limitless options. However, for some folks having to make decisions isn't possible ---- sooooo there is Apple

STICKY!!!!!

Global Posts
    149 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cataloochee View Post
    I feel the whole point of Android is that it is open to customization by anyone from software writer to the user. No one makes the final decision about how "my" phone works but "me" if I choose to take advantage of the seemingly limitless options. However, for some folks having to make decisions isn't possible ---- sooooo there is Apple
    lol yeah if you limit all the features on the phone it can't run slow and you can't be pissed you had to turn off features the phone never had in the first place

ROM
    Stock

Great heads up
    Thanked by:
    Sputzy 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast