Jellybean

hoovhartid

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Looking forward to the system optimizations myself but, where do you see they will be similar to LINARO?

well...I may have put 2 and 2 together here and gotten 5...but when I watched this video , they mention the fps going from 30something to 60something using their optimization...

and now Google mentions their project butter saying "the entire interface runs at 60 frames per second on sufficiently fast hardware"

I can't find the video now, but somewhere i remember seeing someone from the Linaro group mention taking their work back to Google for it to be implemented in future updates.

Also I know CM has been using it to optimize their ROM as well.

The basic idea IIRC is that they are focusing on optimizing the Linux code to perform better for Android. How it was described to me was... Google is focusing on updating and creating new features for their OS and to get some to work, they made some dirty patches in the Linux code in order to get it to run. The Linaro group identifies these problems, fixes the code and removes the no longer needed patches causing the OS to run faster and more efficiently.
They then sent their findings to google.:)

maybe im wrong, but that's how I understood it:-\

quake101

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
well...I may have put 2 and 2 together here and gotten 5...but when I watched this video , they mention the fps going from 30something to 60something using their optimization...

and now Google mentions their project butter saying "the entire interface runs at 60 frames per second on sufficiently fast hardware"

I can't find the video now, but somewhere i remember seeing someone from the Linaro group mention taking their work back to Google for it to be implemented in future updates.

Also I know CM has been using it to optimize their ROM as well.

The basic idea IIRC is that they are focusing on optimizing the Linux code to perform better for Android. How it was described to me was... Google is focusing on updating and creating new features for their OS and to get some to work, they made some dirty patches in the Linux code in order to get it to run. The Linaro group identifies these problems, fixes the code and removes the no longer needed patches causing the OS to run faster and more efficiently.
They then sent their findings to google.:)

maybe im wrong, but that's how I understood it:-\

IIRC, Linaro focused on optimizing the Linux code that assisted mostly CPU and they didn't touch the GPU as they didn't have the GPU source code. Google on the other hand looks like they mostly focused on GPU; vsync timing, tripple buffering, etc.

With that said (and I'm correct), there maybe more CPU optimizations that can be done from Linaro's work.

Overall, I think it's a very good time for Android!

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Will JB being released sooner rather than later mean that the GS3 will be able to compete more evenly with iOS6 and the new iPhone?

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
What are all these stock roms etc.. ive never used these before..how does it work...whats the risks ?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

A stock ROM is basically whatever operating system your phone is shipped with and whatever official updates you receive. A custom ROM is an independently developed third party operating system. AOSP ROMs like Cyanogenmod and pure Android operating systems. They often are stripped to the bare minimum states (only apps included are the play store, messaging, camera, ext) but are super fast and improve your battery life. They are safe to run, but do your research! Don't jump into flashing ROMs blindly. You can always SBF to the stock uprooted ROM if you don't like having all this power.

Sent from my ICE CREAM SANDWICH (CM9) powered DROID X2 using Android Central Forums

BEARD GANG

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
A stock ROM is basically whatever operating system your phone is shipped with and whatever official updates you receive. A custom ROM is an independently developed third party operating system. AOSP ROMs like Cyanogenmod and pure Android operating systems. They often are stripped to the bare minimum states (only apps included are the play store, messaging, camera, ext) but are super fast and improve your battery life. They are safe to run, but do your research! Don't jump into flashing ROMs blindly. You can always SBF to the stock uprooted ROM if you don't like having all this power.

Sent from my ICE CREAM SANDWICH (CM9) powered DROID X2 using Android Central Forums
So how would you get all the other apps on to it do you have to sideload them ?... im guessing this allows you to delete all the crap stuff on the device like s suggest and other apps you couldnt otherwise delete..?

junglejunkie

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Just being rooted would give you the ability to remove all the bloatware that you find unnecessary.

As far as other apps, sideload...some may be in the market as well.

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
So how would you get all the other apps on to it do you have to sideload them ?... im guessing this allows you to delete all the crap stuff on the device like s suggest and other apps you couldnt otherwise delete..?

Most ROMs include all the baseline applications you'll need from the get-go. ROMs like Cyanogenmod are often paired with a gapps.zip which contains all the standard Google apps.

To add some clarity, the basic included apps are: Messenger, Email, Dialer, Camera, Camcorder, Calendar, Calculator, Settings, Play Store, Contacts, Dialer. I'm going off memory so I may have missed a couple things. As soon as you login to your Google account after a fresh flash the Play Store will usually start redownloading all your third party apps. You could always backup all your apps prior to flash with Titanium Backup and simply restore them but sometimes they act buggy between different ROMs. I prefer a clean redownload/install of my apps when jumping between ROMs.

Sure you could freeze bloatware with root alone, but unless you like TouchWiz, MotoBlur, Sense, there's no harm in running a super clean and super fast AOSP ROM. You'll see a difference in battery life and speed immediately.

BEARD GANG

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Most ROMs include all the baseline applications you'll need from the get-go. ROMs like Cyanogenmod are often paired with a gapps.zip which contains all the standard Google apps.

To add some clarity, the basic included apps are: Messenger, Email, Dialer, Camera, Camcorder, Calendar, Calculator, Settings, Play Store, Contacts, Dialer. I'm going off memory so I may have missed a couple things. As soon as you login to your Google account after a fresh flash the Play Store will usually start redownloading all your third party apps. You could always backup all your apps prior to flash with Titanium Backup and simply restore them but sometimes they act buggy between different ROMs. I prefer a clean redownload/install of my apps when jumping between ROMs.

Sure you could freeze bloatware with root alone, but unless you like TouchWiz, MotoBlur, Sense, there's no harm in running a super clean and super fast AOSP ROM. You'll see a difference in battery life and speed immediately.

Thanks for the info speed plus battery life are defo needed.. so custom roms use the stock android os .. ? .. when can i do this to my s3 international unlocked version ??

afranko22

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

I read that as "we decided it cost too much money and google urinated in our Cheerios for us to make the upgrade certified for 4.1." With screen sizes, CPUs and OS becoming more standardized, I don't see how it would be getting harder than from say, certifying an upgrade between 2.1 and 2.2. The only thingthat comes to mind this morning is google chrome. Now that phones will have chrome browser, not sure how chrome works with flash since I don't use it myself.

Sent from my Verizon Droid Razr Maxx

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info speed plus battery life are defo needed.. so custom roms use the stock android os .. ? .. when can i do this to my s3 international unlocked version ??

Some may be based off of the stock OS but for the most part they will either be AOSP (AOKP in this device's case) or built upon the developer's preferences. I'm sure we will see some kind of MIUI port soon enough (basically a ROM for Apple fans). Although I do not have my device yet (Verizon, go figure) it appears that Omega is the closest to stock ROM out at the moment. It runs on an official kernel and looks identical to stock TW but has none of the bloat and all the awesome MODs cooked into it. I'd imagine you can flash this ROM to your international device without any issues at all, but you may want to visit the XDA forums and post in the Q&A section of the SIII for a definitive answer. I'm 99% sure Omega will be the first ROM I flash. Check this Omega review out:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCnj08wHpbY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

BEARD GANG

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Some may be based off of the stock OS but for the most part they will either be AOSP (AOKP in this device's case) or built upon the developer's preferences. I'm sure we will see some kind of MIUI port soon enough (basically a ROM for Apple fans). Although I do not have my device yet (Verizon, go figure) it appears that Omega is the closest to stock ROM out at the moment. It runs on an official kernel and looks identical to stock TW but has none of the bloat and all the awesome MODs cooked into it. I'd imagine you can flash this ROM to your international device without any issues at all, but you may want to visit the XDA forums and post in the Q&A section of the SIII for a definitive answer. I'm 99% sure Omega will be the first ROM I flash. Check this Omega review out:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCnj08wHpbY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Thanks for the info guys.... im defo gonna do this... but i'll wait untill jellybean is out for this fone first

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info guys.... im defo gonna do this... but i'll wait untill jellybean is out for this fone first

I wouldn't hold my breath, it could take quite some time before the SIII sees an official 4.1 build. Luckily the dev base for this device will be huge, XDA already has Jellybean running (crappily) on the SIII. We'll probably have some kind of CM10 ROM within the next 4 months.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084