S3 screen flicker?

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys!

Tonight while writting a long text I notice a small flash....Flicker like deal. QUICK! IT got annoying and it seemed random.

So far I have turned everything off in the display settings. Could this be an auto brightness issue? I JUST turned it off. Screen tone is also turned off. Nor has it been dropped. Otherwise it works fine and its super bright turned all the way up! :p

I will keep you all posted on my findings but has anyone else seen this? Got a fix?

The phone is stock and not been rooted or anything of that nature. Thanks for any help guys! Or any information too.

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Are you talking about the auto brightness? Samsung is insanely aggressive with its auto brightness for power saving, there's little transition and It goes from bright to dim. If thats what you're seeing turning off auto brightness could do the trick although could lead to slightly worse battery life

Reactions: cgardnervt

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I have turned auto brightness off to see if that's what it is last night. I was just warning people. I hope that's all it is. I will report back my findings. Also wanted to see if others notice it! :p

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I turned off auto-brightness within the first few hours, I hate Samsung's auto-brightness and found the same issues when trying out the Galaxy Note. It will suddenly go dark, then bright, and then without a single change in environment it will change brightness again - very annoying. I've been using set brightness, at 50%. I've not yet once seen this screen flicker you report, even with the auto-brightness on. Hopefully it is the auto-brightness and you get it resolved.

Rev.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Even with the auto brightness off it still does it from time to time. Strange. Otherwise I love this phone! :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

bgbagz

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Just had this issue..the auto brightness was switching back and forth with no change in the environment lighting.....while I was on the internet
Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Just had this issue..the auto brightness was switching back and forth with no change in the environment lighting.....while I was on the internet
Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

The dimming of the screen can be turned off in the stock web browser.

When you turn auto brightness off does it still do it to you? Its just a small flicker it seems.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
What he is talking about is not related to auto brightness, it's just a real quick flicker that for me only occurs in the messaging app, at least from what I have noticed. The messaging app definitely needs some work still. Quite a few times I tried to share a picture from the gallery through messaging and the app would force close making me start all over again. Also, going from the list of recently messaged friends to the conversation screen is really choppy sometimes, really fast other times. I wish it had a nice smooth transition going from one screen to the other. Also, when sending a message, sometimes the bubble with your newly typed text pops up fairly quickly, other times that animation is really choppy. As simple looking (I find it ugly) as that app is, it shouldn't be choppy at all. I wish they would have improved it from earlier versions. It really needs a lot of help.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
check your display settings. Try and see if there's a setting that allows you to revert back to the original settings. If the settings are telling you that everything is in its original settings, try resetting your device. If that doesn't work, contact Samsung or your service provider. Its a shame that you have to go through this after just getting your phone.

People are thinking its related to the SMS app (stock). So its a software issue most likely.

lfmasieri

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I have the same issue. Not a big deal, but definitely annoying. I feel like the phone has so many small bugs that should have been fixed before release....

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Haha also noticed the tiles in the app and game scrambled with friends also like to flicker. Very strange indeed! Otherwise the phone is amazing.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy SIII

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I just did a hard reset back to factory to see if this helps. I don't think it will. Its more than likely a software bug with the phone. Or a possible bad unit?

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
A hard reset did NOT fix the issue. Have anyone you seen it a lot or just here an there? I might ask for a replacement.

STBear

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
If you can easily recreate the problem to show them in the store then it might be worth a try for a replacement because of the problem. It would be worthwhile to get the problem documented early. With the apparent shortage of units it might take a bit to get a replacement.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I got my sprint s3 yesterday and haven't experienced any screen flicker problems so far.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Try writing a long text message using the stock messaging app.

I just installed SMS Pro for now. I disabled the stock messaging app. If this takes care of it then I am good! If not then I will be getting a replacement when they come in. I have been to the ATT store and they said they would take care of it.

Thanks for all the advice guys! Like I said its just a small flicker. Not everyone may notice it at first. I was just making people aware. I hope its just software! :)

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it's hardware at all, and I am pretty sure it affects all phones, it's just that some people aren't as picky as we are and don't notice it. I mean really, how can one app cause a hardware issue? It's clearly the software. Samsung really needs to go back to the drawing board when it comes to the messaging app. It crashes too frequently when trying to share articles or websites with it, and it just ruins the rest of the fluidity of the phone.

I wish third part messaging apps would work with the lock screen notification/shortcut of the stock app because I find that rather useful and it's one reason that has kept me from installing handcent again...well that, and I am tired of the advertising.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance